Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Thread for 2014/15

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Baril Creek is both, it follows the valley bottom and climbs to the top of a ridge and over the pass into BC. Avalanche gear should be worn if you take the trail to BC as multiple people have been buried playing on a few different slopes on the BC side. The trail itself also crosses a slide path that came down last year on the BC side.

It should also be mentioned as it sounds like there are some new riders to the area that if you take the trail over to BC, when you enter into the Don Getty Park you must stay on the trail (as posted on numerous signs). Do not go to the top of the pass and play on Mt. Bolton, this area is out of bounds as it is in the park. You cannot leave the trail until you drop down on the BC side.

Thanks for the input. This topic is brought up every year. Stay on the trail when heading into BC side. Thanks SummitX

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this the trail that is 90 percent shale across the top? Only been over it once felt horrendous riding rock instead of snow!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this the trail that is 90 percent shale across the top? Only been over it once felt horrendous riding rock instead of snow!

That's the one! It's like you were transported to the moon LOL.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
see if this helps.
Someone who know the area will help.
This is important. Closed area and avalanche warning area

Attachments

• 166671d1391570077-cataract-etherington-2013-14-thread-fording-out-bounds.jpg
    166671d1391570077-cataract-etherington-2013-14-thread-fording-out-bounds.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 202
  • avalanche area.jpg
    avalanche area.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 188

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baril Creek is both, it follows the valley bottom and climbs to the top of a ridge and over the pass into BC. Avalanche gear should be worn if you take the trail to BC as multiple people have been buried playing on a few different slopes on the BC side. The trail itself also crosses a slide path that came down last year on the BC side.

It should also be mentioned as it sounds like there are some new riders to the area that if you take the trail over to BC, when you enter into the Don Getty Park you must stay on the trail (as posted on numerous signs). Do not go to the top of the pass and play on Mt. Bolton, this area is out of bounds as it is in the park. You cannot leave the trail until you drop down on the BC side.

I assume you are talking about the trail into fording pass. What I was asking about was the baril loop that is on the CC map. Is fording reached off the baril loop trail or is it the loggers trail, loggers trail shows that it ends

image.jpg

Last edited:

Stickman70

Reaction score
Fording Pass is accessed from Baril, there is a off shoot trail that is not on the map you have. Loggers is a dead end.

• Thanks
Reactions: JZ1

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone been out lately? Wondering how the warm weather will affect the snow/riding conditions.

Lost creek eek south weather station has extreme wind warnings, winds up to 100km/h. Is the weather station located in the valley or on top of a mountain?

fshog

Reaction score
Does anyone have info on the rough time the Poker Run will begin?? 10am??

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
POKER RUN

The Poker Run officially begins 9 AM from Cataract Creek parking lot, and we want people back at the parking lot by 3:30 PM to tabulate the results. A group from the club is leaving at 10 AM. We expect people to leave between 9-noon, returning between 1-3:30 PM. A map of the Poker Run route will be provided.

A lunch on the trail is included in your cost of 1 hand for $10 or 3 hands for $20, where you draw the third card of your hand.

If you are not contacting Doug, the club's Destinaton Coordinator, @ dc@calgarysnowmobileclub.net or 403-540-3286, please message me here so we can include you (and your group) for lunch/head count.

Last edited:

fshog

Reaction score
Thanks! I will PM you once I have a tally on numbers for us.

Is the parking lot at Cataract staging area gong to accommodate for unload / loading? or??

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I will PM you once I have a tally on numbers for us.

Is the parking lot at Cataract staging area gong to accommodate for unload / loading? or??

The CC parking lot is HUGE and has a ramp for unloading and loading if you need it.

fshog

Reaction score
The CC parking lot is HUGE and has a ramp for unloading and loading if you need it.

Thanks Highfly, I have ridden out at CC before, just was wondering if the thoughts are, being decent weather that the turnout might be large.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can a person just show up for rally? I hoping to come but I can't gurantee it 100%.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will ask the Membership Director, Jorg, if he is coming, and if he can bring some trail passes and memberships.

Although a trail pass is not mandatory for the Poker Run or to ride at C.C.S.A., it is sure appreciated by all of us who volunteer our time and effort to make it a better place for all. If any non-members would buy one, either a day pass or year pass, thanks! This winter four (4) more ramps/bridge will be placed in the C.C.S.A. where possible.

Can people also buy trail passes or club memberships on Saturday or Sunday?

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, all are welcome. We are planning for a few extra people to show up.

Can a person just show up for rally? I hoping to come but I can't gurantee it 100%.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
POKER RUN

The Poker Run officially begins 9 AM from Cataract Creek parking lot, and we want people back at the parking lot by 3:30 PM to tabulate the results. A group from the club is leaving at 10 AM. We expect people to leave between 9-noon, returning between 1-3:30 PM. A map of the Poker Run route will be provided.

A lunch on the trail is included in your cost of 1 hand for $10 or 3 hands for $20, where you draw the third card of your hand.

If you are not contacting Doug, the club's Destinaton Coordinator, @ dc@calgarysnowmobileclub.net or 403-540-3286, please message me here so we can include you (and your group) for lunch/head count.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone make it out today? Wondering how the high winds and possible rain have effected the trails. Would really hate to drive 3 hours tomorrow morning only find its unrideable

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our Destination Coordinator is to be going through Longview at any time, but he will be out of cell range at Cataract Creek parking lot. The south trails will have snow, last Sunday there was 3 - 5 feet on the trails south of Cataract Creek. It may be denser and stiffer, but you will not see dirt.
Anyone make it out today? Wondering how the high winds and possible rain have effected the trails. Would really hate to drive 3 hours tomorrow morning only find its unrideable

Top Bottom