Cataract creek snowmobile area offical thread 2015/16

eltigre

Reaction score
Great meeting you yesterday Kaz! Just want to reiterate the Great job you guys are doing out there.
Quick question. Has there been any talk of having a collection box of some sort put out at both staging areas? Maybe $5 a rider or something?
I know down in the States they have these and it's based on an honour system. The big clubs seem to be able to charge $20, I don't think $5 a sled would be to much to ask and would probably go a long way to trail maintenance. Will be getting my trail pass this week and be in contact as to when available to come out and lend a hand.
Hope to see you boys this weekend!

Reaction score
For anyone that has done this particular poke rally.... how many people typically show up? Can I expect that the trails will be packed this weekend?

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great meeting you yesterday Kaz! Just want to reiterate the Great job you guys are doing out there.
Quick question. Has there been any talk of having a collection box of some sort put out at both staging areas? Maybe $5 a rider or something?
I know down in the States they have these and it's based on an honour system. The big clubs seem to be able to charge $20, I don't think $5 a sled would be to much to ask and would probably go a long way to trail maintenance. Will be getting my trail pass this week and be in contact as to when available to come out and lend a hand.
Hope to see you boys this weekend!
A collection box - this has been brought up, and we have not made any plans/decisions about it yet. Through A.S.A. meetings, I know of other clubs who use this method to collect voluntary trail fees. One club has built some, and they may have extras we may be able to buy/get a hold of. BUT, being that the snowmobile trailheads are located with in Alberta Parks P.R.A.'s, we would have to make arrangement with the Environment & Parks Ministry to install anything - to make them theft proof. We will continue to look for ways to raise funds for grooming operations at C.C.S.T.

The Alberta Snowmobile Association (A.S.A.) has a daily trail pass, which is set at $20 for across the province. This looks good - to me - when you consider that most places in B.C. are $25. The better deal is a yearly Trail Pass @ $80, with it being only $70 if purchased before Jan. 1. The Trail Pass end/start June 30/July 1 of each year.

See you this weekend at the lunch/hot dog station on Saturday - if you are taking part in the poker run - as I will be tending it!

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had some information regarding the logging trucks not hauling on the day of the poker run. Were we able to confirm this Kaz Dog?

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are they still on schedule to be done on January 15th?.......not that it matters cause it doesnt look like there is any snow in the forecast to cover the plowed logging roads anyway

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have they ever been hauling on a weekend?

Good question. Not this winter, but they have the right to. They have had one-tone and 3/4 ton trucks up both Lost Creek Road and Highway 940/Wilkinson Summit Trail on weekends this winter though.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are they still on schedule to be done on January 15th?.......not that it matters cause it doesnt look like there is any snow in the forecast to cover the plowed logging roads anyway

They may very well be finished their log haul out of Cummings Trail South by the 15th, but they will still be hauling out of their "cut" north on Raspberry Trail, off the ridge on the east side of the valley. They may be finished there and off of Lost Creek Road by Thursday, January 21. I am speaking with them tomorrow at the end of the day to get my latest update.

dustin98

Reaction score
Hi, itll be my first time ever going to cataract this weekend. I was just kinda wondering what I should expect heading up their? What are the roads like? Are they gravel roads to get their to the staging areas? Or are they pavement? Any is their anything I should be packing specifically? I have a tow rope, spark plug wrench and a few crew drivers and stuff. Just wondering if I'm forgetting anything? Thanks in advance

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gravel once you turn onto 940. Expect that road to be icy so take it easy. Take what you normally do for tools and safety gear. If you're going on the poker run there will be lots of helping hands if required. If you're going over Fording you need all the avalanche gear!

RMKRookie

Reaction score
Hi Dustin, CSC is hosting a poker run saturday from Cataract creek parking area and there should be a large number of riders there as opposed to a normal weekend - Etherington parking may be less busy, if you do not want to join in the run. Card hands $10 or three for $20 if you care to join in.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to repeat the message as a few of us have had phone calls just today - the Calgary Snowmobile Club Poker run is open to the public and club membership is not required. That said, besides the obvious value of a day out its a good way to touch base with the club and see what being a member is all about.

dustin98

Reaction score
Just wondering how old do you have to be to enter the poker run? And what is a poker run exactly? Me and my buddy are totally new to this kind of stuff. So any info would be greatly appreciated

Top Bottom