Cataract creek snowmobile area offical thread 2015/16

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No age limit to enter. If you choose to enter you buy a blank hand at the start of the event. You then draw cards at designated check points around a course that has been laid out to build your poker hand. The cards that you draw at the check points are written down by the people at the checkpoints and at the end of the run you will have a full poker hand. The winner is the one who ends up with the best hand. Lots of fun and you get a tour of the area to boot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_run

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Update on the log hauling going on at Cataract Creek Snowmobile Trails.

I spoke with Spray Lake Sawmill this AM - before prep work on-site for this weekends poker run - and they indicated they are 95% sure they will be finished hauling all of their cuts using the Lost Creek Road this Friday.

Today, they only hauled out from "kilometer 4" on the Lost Creek Road, which is the cut on Raspberry Trail, to the north of Cataract Creek Trail. They indicated they have one more truck full on Cumming Trail "south" to take out, and should have it out on Friday, tomorrow.

I will call them on Monday morning to get a final update, as if they do not finish on Friday, they said they would be done on Monday.

They will then shift to hauling logs out on Highway 940, south of the Cataract Creek parking lot/trailhead. Again, if the road is graded, do not travel with your snowmobile down the road - unless a snow berm is present on the west side of the road - as has been arranged. If there is no snow falling, there will be no berm. If you do choose to travel south on the 940 (Wilkinson Summit Trail) YOU MUST turn on to Pasque Trail and not proceed up to the pass. The Calgary Snowmobile Club has made an agreement with Spray Lakes Sawmill, Alberta Transport, Alberta Parks, Alberta Public Lands, and with the Ministry of Environment & Parks for this to happen. PLEASE DO NOT PROCEED UP TO THE PASS AND WRECK THIS ACCESS TO THE 940 TO THE PASQUE TRAIL TURN-OFF. More importantly, there will be very heavy and hard-to-brake-in-time logging trucks full of logs, and the result of meeting one up in the pass may be fatal.

Reaction score
Off topic question:

Does anyone bring their dog to the staging area(s)? When we rent cabins in Sundre, our dog absolutely loves to run beside the sleds. We brought him to Etherington once when it was gated off and the staging area was moved back near the road. We couldn't ride too hard that day as someone always had to stay with the dog at the staging area, and so we took turns. No problem really. Now that I know there is a cabin at the other staging area, I can't help but wonder if anyone else ever brings their dog(s) or is that frowned upon?

I love my dog..... would bring him sometimes if it's not a bother to others.
24.jpg

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trails are ready for the rally. We have groomed 4 days this week and are finishing off tonight. Area has received about 2-4 inches of snow Thursday and it was clear and cool today. Will be a great day tomorrow. Roads and parking has all been plowed and ready. Been flooding the river crossing to thicken the ice. Few people out today. Would like to thank all who helped me groom the trails this week. Had my good friend and fellow groomer come down from Fort Saskatchewan to groom with me and show him the beauty of Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I, for one, would not recommend bringing a dog to run the trails with you, while you were operating a snowmobile, or even walking along the groomed trails. I say this for the dog's sake, and the fact that other snowmobilers are not likely to see the dog, as they are usually looking out for snowmobiles.

One thing I know for sure, being a dog owner, is that no matter how in control of your dog you think you are, they do have a brain of their own, and are not always 100% predictable - or choose to follow commands. It is not fair to the dog to put it in such a position that it may be struck by a snowmobile, through no fault of the snowmobiler.

As a matter of fact, yesterday, during the poker run day, someone had their dog running around loose in the parking lot while we were getting going. As anyone knows when you have a large, independent minded group of people doing their own thing as careful as possible, one does not know what the other is thinking. Through a dog in the mix only makes things worse, for the dog and the snowmobiler. Please love your pet enough to keep it on leash in the parking lot and better yet, NEVER let it follow you on the trails.

On a side note, I have left my dog in my vehicle, in its' kennel, with a blanket inside and another over the kennel, for the day while I have been sledding, in weather down to -15. She has never suffered in this state. She might have got a bit cool, but she was not shivering when I returned. But I prepare to have her there properly, and all has worked out for the both of us.

Off topic question:

Does anyone bring their dog to the staging area(s)? When we rent cabins in Sundre, our dog absolutely loves to run beside the sleds. We brought him to Etherington once when it was gated off and the staging area was moved back near the road. We couldn't ride too hard that day as someone always had to stay with the dog at the staging area, and so we took turns. No problem really. Now that I know there is a cabin at the other staging area, I can't help but wonder if anyone else ever brings their dog(s) or is that frowned upon?

I love my dog..... would bring him sometimes if it's not a bother to others.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A VERY SUCCESSFUL POKER RUN YESTERDAY!

I will post more latter when I have all the facts, but I can report that the 1st place prize hand at the rally won $485.00 - no, I did not win it......

As well, we had hot dogs cooked in a pot and hot chocolate ready to go at the lunch site this year - as opposed to BBQ'ing your own hot dog and a cold bottle of water available like last year - and we received many thanks and accolades for this change.

A big thank you to Glen and all the other groomers and trail workers that help ready for the day, it was greatly appreciated.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
On a side note, I have left my dog in my vehicle, in its' kennel, with a blanket inside and another over the kennel, for the day while I have been sledding, in weather down to -15. She has never suffered in this state. She might have got a bit cool, but she was not shivering when I returned. But I prepare to have her there properly, and all has worked out for the both of us.

I REALLY hope that you had a back up plan in place in the case where you broke down, or something worse. That poor dog may have had to spend a night or longer stuck in your vehicle in night time temps that may have been MUCH lower. You say she has never suffered, but if something were to happen, she sure could have. Or worse.....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your opinion, and as I said, being prepared is the point.
I REALLY hope that you had a back up plan in place in the case where you broke down, or something worse. That poor dog may have had to spend a night or longer stuck in your vehicle in night time temps that may have been MUCH lower. You say she has never suffered, but if something were to happen, she sure could have. Or worse.....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is the latest grooming report.

Didn't make it out there today or this week. The oldest grooming sled is having slight jetting issues rat rodding the airbox to get cold outside air into its motor. We will be starting again Monday with either the small drags or the new prototype ALL TRACKS unit. Lets hope we can get it all smoother again. I'm off to Snow and Mud Mountain Mania in Golden this weekend.
Yesterday we updated some signage on Pasque trail and on the Cummings trail. Kaz Dog will update more.
From what I'm being told the trail is the way its been in the past. Fairly rough but nothing more than what all riders know. Sometimes life activities get in the way and in time we will have it better for your riding pleasure.

Thanks for your support. More to come in the future to this area.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I, for one, would not recommend bringing a dog to run the trails with you, while you were operating a snowmobile, or even walking along the groomed trails. I say this for the dog's sake, and the fact that other snowmobilers are not likely to see the dog, as they are usually looking out for snowmobiles.

One thing I know for sure, being a dog owner, is that no matter how in control of your dog you think you are, they do have a brain of their own, and are not always 100% predictable - or choose to follow commands. It is not fair to the dog to put it in such a position that it may be struck by a snowmobile, through no fault of the snowmobiler.

As a matter of fact, yesterday, during the poker run day, someone had their dog running around loose in the parking lot while we were getting going. As anyone knows when you have a large, independent minded group of people doing their own thing as careful as possible, one does not know what the other is thinking. Through a dog in the mix only makes things worse, for the dog and the snowmobiler. Please love your pet enough to keep it on leash in the parking lot and better yet, NEVER let it follow you on the trails.

I meant having him on-leash at the staging area. I wouldn't bring him on the trails. When we are in Sundre the "trails" to the actual trails are cabin road where we run him.... before we go ride on the real trails or deep snow.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On leash is always good. I have noticed people walking thier dogs into the campground area, where no sleds are to be, except the trapper in the area.
I meant having him on-leash at the staging area. I wouldn't bring him on the trails. When we are in Sundre the "trails" to the actual trails are cabin road where we run him.... before we go ride on the real trails or deep snow.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To add to Glen's previous comments about our last time out grooming, and deciding to sign some trails with one sled "down" with running issues, here is my report:

Glen and I visited Spray Lake Sawmill on Thursday, January 21, and had a productive meeting. We picked up signs and sign post from them for Wilkinson Summit Trail/Hwy 940/The Forestry Truck Road, as well as discussed their cutting and hauling schedule for summer-fall-winter 2016/17. The company will have to log and haul next December, January, and possibly to the end of February, as the "cut" the government has approved for them on the southwest side of Oyster Excursion Trail has a very high volume of wet soil, and it needs to be frozen solid before they "go in". As well they will need to finish their cut on the east side of Raspberry Trail, accessed off kms. "4" on the Lost Creek Road, but this will happen before they proceed to the "Oyster cut", and may be done before Dec. 1.

On Friday, January 22, Glen and I decided to erect signage on more of the system, in conjunction with setting up the signs we received from S.L.S. to close Wilkinson Summit Trail. We closed this trail south of Cataract Creek parking lot, right after snowmobilers are able to access Pasque Trail going west to Cummings, Skyline, and Oyster-Excursion Trails. PLEASE OBEY THESE SIGNS AS WE DO NOT WANT AN INCIDENT BETWEEN A TRUCK AND A SNOWMOBILE ON THE FORESTRY TRUCK ROAD GOING UP TO THE PASS. If there is an incident/accident, the full length of the trail will be shut down. There will be 3/4 and 1 ton truck on this road during the weekends, so please do not go up to the pass area, and turn off at Pasque Trail.

Glen and I opened the gate where Pasque trail begins and signed the trail up to Skyline Trail. We then doubled back to Cummings Trail, and commenced to sign "south" Cummings Trail - as it had been recently been finished with S.L.S.'s log haul-out. The trail at the very south end had not had maintenance done on it this past fall, as the logging had already commenced, and we knew that snowmobilers would not get into this area until now. Given that, the trail itself is in poor shape, with downed trees across the trail in many places. A quick look at the road S.L.S. had approval to construct led me to decided that - for this winter at least - the best use of this area by snowmobilers should be on the road. We then proceeded to sign as many of the turns and switchbacks that our signs allowed on the road, to where the road connect with the "Cross-over Trail", the one from Cummings across to Skyline and on to Oyster Excursion. On top of that, there is a major bridge missing over a creek crossing on "Cummings Trail - south" and by using the road, we may use the two bridges that S.L.S. installed over the creek.

I trust those who ventured out there this weekend found a good trail/snow to ride on, and please let us know the trail conditions where you went. We need input to properly groom this area. We have a plan, but if the plan is not good given the trail conditions over the entire area, it is not a good plan.

The prototype groomer and drag will be conducting tests on Monday, and I hope to hear/see that it was able to go down Etherington Trail a distance, and not just remain in the field just west of the parking lot there.

Have a great week! KD

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was out there today..first time...rough as heck..needs serious grooming..as to where we were..was just following...not a clue....parking lot was full when we got there...we left early and when we got back most had left already...neat place to git lost but needs more snow and grooming...were no bare spots...snow was passable but more would help to level things out...got a heck of a workout today tryin to dodge moguls....would definitely hit this spot after a major snowfall

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was out there today..first time...rough as heck..needs serious grooming..as to where we were..was just following...not a clue....parking lot was full when we got there...we left early and when we got back most had left already...neat place to git lost but needs more snow and grooming...were no bare spots...snow was passable but more would help to level things out...got a heck of a workout today tryin to dodge moguls....would definitely hit this spot after a major snowfall
Thanks for your input. We will be grooming this week, but you are correct, more snow is needed. I know the base is good, but we are wary of "cutting it down" any more, fearful we will create "brown spots". We will work were we can, where we will feel we will not do any damage to "the ribbon of white". This will probably mean south of Cataract Creek, and on the "west trails": Baril Loop Trail, north-south section of Etherington Trail to Cataract Creek Trail, Cataract Creek Trail to Faller's Trail, Faller's Trail, and Oyster-Excursion Trail. As well, Pasque, Skyline, and Cummings Trail - both the north and south (road through the logged off area) sections.

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like Kaz Dog mentioned we have a bunch of work and grooming to do out there. Only thing missing is time. We do our best with the time we are given. 4 hrs of drive time every day is hard on the driver (me). Makes for a long day. We need to put a tent up out there to live in for the winter.

Did some testing on the groomer today. Worked OK just a few more tweeks to tweek and it will do a great job.

Thanks for the support that the club has received this year. Good to see the interest in the area. Perfect family riding area with a bit of experienced mountain riding off one end of it.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Like Kaz Dog mentioned we have a bunch of work and grooming to do out there. Only thing missing is time. We do our best with the time we are given. 4 hrs of drive time every day is hard on the driver (me). Makes for a long day. We need to put a tent up out there to live in for the winter.

Did some testing on the groomer today. Worked OK just a few more tweeks to tweek and it will do a great job.

Thanks for the support that the club has received this year. Good to see the interest in the area. Perfect family riding area with a bit of experienced mountain riding off one end of it.

When are you putting on the Simmon's Skis?

Life is good in "Da Hood"

Top Bottom