Catalytic Converters going missing

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heads up guys catalytic converters are going missing from South Edmonton. Fellow from down the street came to the door last night and advised me that someone tried to take his off in the driveway the night before. Went and checked mine and 2 bolts gone and the third was 3/4 of the way off and damaged the gasket as well. Went to muffler shop to get replacment gasket and was told that I was the third one this week and there were several more he was aware of. They apparently cut off three from the church vans on 23rd and 66st as well. Pretty $$$$ to replace from what I was told. :PDT_gun:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Fug sakes...what next ,,gonna steal your house to??? Jesus <hrist maybe if they got tuffer with crooks we wouldnt have this problem...time to start:rollingpin::hunter2::chainsaw::PDT_gun::PDT_gun:

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Platinum is most commonly used, but Palladium and Rhodium are also used as catalysts inside Catalytic Converters. Apparently also when they are simply bolted on, or on vehicles with high ground clearance thieves will steal them. It seems unreasonable that these would still be used if there was a large amount of these precious metals in them.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Rusty's went missing at Costco in Red Deer.Pretty sure he said $4000 ish to replace.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What the hell, I have a complete factory exhaust from a 6.4 powerstroke collecting dust. DPF, cat, etc if anybody needs. Ohhhhhh if I found somebody under my truck they would never be seen again.

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to the fellow at the muffler shop they get about 35 bucks scrap price for smaller ones and 85 bucks for the bigger ones off the diesels. Good point I bet there are alot of them sitting around for the diesels with everyone doing the delete. I made a few modifications with the mig but if they want it bad enough they will still get it. Guess maybe the delete is the way to go, sucks when you have to void warranty so some AZZ hole can buy 85 bucks worth of crack.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Yeah mine went missing, 4100 to replace. If yours is flanged and bolted weld them babies up and then grab a paint marker and write go fist yourself on the cat.....lol I have it written on my frame

Holy chit.

I just can't believe this crap.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3500 bucks and 6 or 8 went missing at dodge in sherwood park i think, so best thing to do I was told was to add a couple welds or tacks. That is crazy ch!t.......

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they had a real problem with catalytic converters thieves in the US a couple years back ,takes less than 3 minutes with a battery powered sawzall and your SOL.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wish I could have gotten mine off in three minutes. Maybe I should have called one of these guys when I did my deletes lol.

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i answered a kijiji add a while back. " looking for cats and exhaust for diesels". guy was somewhere north of calg. cant remember where. anyways i emailed him because i have the old cat from my 6.7 cummins. he said was worth 400 bucks to him. bring it in he said. i still havent but had no idea that thing sitting in my backyard was worth that. canada needs to have an open gun law. protect youre family and property the old school way. my opinion of course.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What the hell, I have a complete factory exhaust from a 6.4 powerstroke collecting dust. DPF, cat, etc if anybody needs. Ohhhhhh if I found somebody under my truck they would never be seen again.
Honest officer. I felt a bump when I backed out of my drive way, but I thought that it was just a lump of ice that had fallen of my truck. And then the wife said she forgot her purse so I pull back in.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable. If anyone ever steals it off my truck, I'll just replace it with a chunk of pipe.

Has anyone gone through insurance and seen if its covered under vandalism? My truck getting keyed is covered by insurance.....

SwampRatt

Reaction score
There were 5 stolen from a dealership here in town recently too. Same thing, thieves go in at night and hack em off. Getting pretty ballsey!

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lol chain them to the frame and go on a road trip with them dragging underneath.

Sent from a iPhone

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WTF is wrong with the guy buying these things? If some crack head comes in with a bunch of brand new cats with fresh sawzall marks, wouldn't that raise some questions?

Top Bottom