Can bad knees end riding?

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been sledding all my life,and want decades more, I feel one knee bothering me, wife blew one knee out riding last year she was pure agony had to ride back few miles and she could walk or ride for 2 weeks, really scary. Can't we get new knees? I know Trudeau is killing our Heath care even more, what about getting new knees in Mexico?I've heard lots of people quit sledding cause of this?

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been sledding all my life,and want decades more, I feel one knee bothering me, wife blew one knee out riding last year she was pure agony had to ride back few miles and she could walk or ride for 2 weeks, really scary. Can't we get new knees? I know Trudeau is killing our Heath care even more, what about getting new knees in Mexico?I've heard lots of people quit sledding cause of this?

I’ve heard of guys on this site getting new knees and riding again, I’m sure someone will chime in soon

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Last year sold all my sleds and trailers and bought a half ton because of the left knee. If you're too young, they won't give knee replacements(i was considered too young, and i'm 58 now).... I'm out until i get a new knee. It's been a year now, and it sucks. I'm in pretty constant pain, and take lotsa pain killers etc. There is a ridiculous process to get knee replacement and long wait lists. Lots of xrays, and bloodwork, and 3 times to the edmonton knee/hip center(1 - 3 hour class, one consult with the surgeon, and a 4-6 hour class). I'm finally ready for a knee replacement, but what a bloody hastle. I now have to put it off for another 3 months, as we're going to mexico in may, and cannot fly within 3 months of knee replacement the said. This should go okay, and should be back into sledding next year if all goes well. Skiing is done for good :(

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple weeks / bothering you ?? Lol
Been 38 years with screwed knee and it’s completely screwed and bone on bone and full of arthritis.
Tore meniscus at 16 years old and back then they just removed the whole thing rather then trying to repair.
Will get a replacement in a year or two .
You have to get them checked out and find out what’s wrong ?
Might be something that can be repaired without a knee replacement.
Doctors want you to wait as long as possible which then usually causes hip problems,back problems and so on due to limbing all the time.
Others will chime in as well.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
it always seems to be the left knee wtf!

yup, old hockey, basketball, volleyball, football, soccer injuries to the left knee.... And tore the medial meniscus bad kicking ice chunks out of my first enclosed sled trailer years ago. Hasn't been the same since :( and now severe arthritis and bad bone on bone..... Ronaha you should get it looked at, like others suggested might be an easy surgery

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Step 1) Book a Physio appointment and get the injury assessed. They can guide you from there. You may or not need surgery but for most cases physio, strengthening and/ or a brace will most likely fix the issue, but if you don't get professional help you will never heal or correct the issue.

Take it from me, Im very experienced in knee injurys. 2 ACL replacements, 2 miniscus tears and a half dozen torn LCL and MCL's all over the last 20 years. All from skiing but I keep coming back. Just had my 2nd ACL done, on the mend now. Sold the sled for this season but will be back next year to sled and ski!

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe try snow biking? You sit down most the time, a lot of older guys say it's easier on the body.
It depends entirely what riding your doing. lol I can ride my bike twice as long as when I rode sled but if your getting into areas that are challenging the knees are going to hurt no matter what. Not rocket science it's called "self control" . Bad knees ,stick a bit closer to the trails and be the watcher of carnage not the carnage.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this the whole Lefty--- Righty thing again? Might be legit though. Right leg is making the decision left leg has to accept consequences. Brain in middle along for the ride . Ha ha ha Paralyzed, well I have no answer for that.

Last edited:

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not total knee replacement but still painfull. I had my left knee done in 2014 after blowing it out.... it cost a small fortune to pay for it yourself but worth it.... a year in planning and being on wait lists in Alberta. I couldn’t be happier to get it over with.
ended up going to false creek medical in Vancouver.... ACL and meniscus’s ..... you end up paying for a couple mri one initially and one the day before you go for surgery.... all in all it was a very good process, too bad being younger mid 40s that our health care system treats this type of injury like an elective surgery..... I guess the working man has to just suffer it out and figure it out for himself as it does cost a fair bit....I’m sure total knee replacement would be much much more.
the doctor that did my surgery was great at false creek. The day after the surgery he told me that there was a significant blood bruising under the cartilage on top and bottom joint..... most likely caused on impact initially and remained as the day to day wear on the joint continued. I can say one thing .... if you are in that much pain and can somehow find the means to do it......please do it... it’s life changing.... Two years after the surgery I was still on a waiting list in Alberta. That made it three years total wait.....and they say our health care is free.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so this may seem far fetched but if it is a arthritis related thing I have had tremendous success with Lakota Joint care caplets, can get at costco, walmart etc. Obviously this is not going to fix mechanical damage but was a game changer for me. I could barely move my knee sometimes in the cold weather, as long as take 1 capsule per day I don't even notice an issue anymore. May help someone.. Took 1 week before I noticed the results.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Knee replacement(and hip replacement) is a one year wait, with numerous classes to attend(kind of a waste of time). I was the youngest in the classes, by far, and i'm only 58.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Knee replacement(and hip replacement) is a one year wait, with numerous classes to attend(kind of a waste of time). I was the youngest in the classes, by far, and i'm only 58.

my god..... you're getting old Ric!......... soon you'll be on a Skidoo Expedition with Sledderglen grooming trails and sipping on coffee going down the trails at slow speeds.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe try snow biking? You sit down most the time, a lot of older guys say it's easier on the body.
I was going to suggest this as well.

I've been told they don't want to do them in younger people because they don't want to have to do it again when it wears out. BS to me if that's the case.

Brian Kublik

Reaction score
hey ronaha. do you get a crackling noise from your knee. if so try using glucosamine sulphate. takes a week or two.had left knee surgery for torn cartilage,then my right knee started giving me trouble. took glucosamine and problem went away. if yours is just pain and your cartilage is still ok try prolotherapy.

Top Bottom