Camping and sledding on a weekend.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never done it but would like to. We have a fifthwheel but never used it in winter.
I'm not sure my RV battery would last over night with the furnace on. I'd probably have to go with a set of 6 volt batteries in order to get the time out of them. Or let the generator run all night but its just a small one and it would probably run out of gas. My tanks aren't heated either so this is another issue.
So has anyone done it? How did it go?

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine was trying to take me onto taking our toyhauler. But the salt would eat the ch!t outa it plus the roads suck enough with a small trailer.

I could fit 3 inside and it has a geny plus 38 gal toy tank.

sent from my htc

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Quite a few guys campout at Coal Creek in Fernie. I see them and chat with them when I come back from grooming. They have a fire, gen set, and good old time. Probably better a little later in the year when it is warmer.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no problem going to a remote lake in winter with hunting tent and stove. If your gonna do it in a trailer either fill up genny in nite or get 6 volts for sure. I put 6 volts in sled trailer just for reliability.

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did it in -25 c to -30c with a 3000 watt honda it ran 13 hrs on one tank of fuel about 5 gallons. Stay out of the wind and hopefully a sunny spot. When or IF we needed a heat boost we just turned on the stove and cooked something got quite warm inside.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we do it all the time, spend two weeks at christmass every year right in the mountains and sled from our camper door.
it can be a challenge, but also can be a great time. We used to do it in a 5th wheel, but now use a motor home. The 5th wheel was a lot warmer.

halligan

Reaction score
We usually hunt out of the traveltrailer in up to minus 15-20 so ar with no issues. Will definitely try sledding with it next season

Andoo

Respected Military Member
Reaction score
I slept 15 days in a bell tent with a hunter heater going in Arctic Bay, Nunavut Feb 2005. Set up in a new location every day. And yes we used snowmobiles there but I think you want something more practical.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a bus that we set up at halloween and take it out in April. Winter camping is the best no mosquitos and you get back to camp take the key out of the sled and crack a beer put a steak on the bbq and watch all the other people load up to go home. If you use your camper don't use the tanks you would be just asking for troubles with frozen takes and pipes.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stayed 3 nights in a wall tent last april 25 k from the trucks. Was awesome. Just cook bacon and eggs. Gas and go. Look forward to doing it again.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen people doing that when we were in Fernie, thought it was a pretty cool idea. Wake up and start the sleds and your off. Be the first one up The hill.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love cabin camping during the winter, fire up the head lamps, the stove for heat/food and play some cards. Plow through a bottle of whisky and start the day off the next day right from the front door.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done it a few times and the salt is hard on door hinges and locks. Make sure you wash the trailer outside thoroughly after camping.

We camped to -17C @ Atlas. We ran a generator all night to power a 1500W base board heater, otherwise the furnace was coming on steady. This is in a 3 season trailer, not an Artic Fox or anything similar.

It's not a huge cost to get your tanks heated and insulated....but there are few sani-dumps open in the winter and it's a hassle dumping. I didn't bother....use sparingly and let it freeze till spring! Find a spot with an outhouse!

Snowmobile gear takes up a lot of room, especially if you need to dry it over night. I thought it was too much hassle. Between the extra propane to heat the trailer and the extra truck fuel to haul the trailer down and the time to prep. and put the trailer back to bed for the winter...ah, ya hotel for me.

It is a good time but much more work than summer camping, I would rather do sled camping in April to June. Maybe you cannot sled right to the camper door but close.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^ I agree. Plus the nice hot shower and drinking beer in the hot tub after a hard day of sledding is almost as good as the sledding itself.

Instead I just moved to where I sled. 20 minutes from my hot tub to the parking lot. :)

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THX for all the replies guys. Was thinking about the bathroom situation and thought about those toilets that is basically a 5 gallon pail with a toilet seat and a plastic bag. Could just line the bathroom toilet with a bag, do your business and throw the bag out side to freeze, take home and throw in the garbage?

OR, when my parents go south in the winter they just use RV antifreeze and fill the bowl with that and do their business and flush until they get far enough south they are away from freezing temp. I would deal with dumping it as mentioned when it warms up enough.

The Gen I have isn't big enough. I had a Honda 3500 but gave it to my parents and he gave me a Honda 500 in return. I didn't think I would need the 3500 with my small fifth wheel. The 500 charges batteries well. He goes south with his monster fifth wheel for months at a time. It made sense for him to have it. Kinda wish I had it now, Oh well.
I have one of those ceramic micro heaters. I could do a test and see if the Gen has enough jam but I doubt it.

Top Bottom