Camaera Advise

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a camera for my wife for Christmas. Looking for an entry level DSLR (?) in the $700-1000 range. She has some camera knowledge and I dont have a clue, so need a somewhat idiot proof rig so I can operate it too (she likes to prove she is in places we go). LOL! Any help would be awesome!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Canon Rebel T3......Love mine.....costco sells them in a package and they come with a bag and a few accesories.........They are a great entry level camera and fairly easy to use. About 600.00 I really like mine.
catmando!

Reactions: cs5

any1butjj

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ditto on the Canon, love mine and i have had a great experience with Canon service. We were on the big island of Hawaii a couple of years ago and were hiking with the camera when it started raining. the Camera got pretty wet and it was toast by the time we got back to the car. When we got home i took it in to where we bought it and they sent it off for repair - it was now no longer under warranty so was fully expecting that it was going to be not worth repairing but in a couple short weeks the camera place phoned me an told me my camera was fixed and ready to be picked up. i got there and found out Canon fixed it free of charge - way to go Canon!

using these camera's in full auto is as easy as any point and shoot camera's

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep Canon Rebel is the best entry level camera. So for your price range I'd look into the t3i. Best bang for you buck. But if your willing to spend a few more dollars get the t4. Very close to the top of the line 60d. Check Visions I believe it was on sale there and there. $800

Jimbow007

Reaction score
Best advise I could give someone buying a dslr camera is, go to a camera dealer and talk to them. All the entry level cameras have a point and shoot mode and they are all pretty well equal. What it really comes down to is the lenses. You can buy a good entry camera body around $400. Spend the rest on a lens (kit lens are crap).

Just a side note, I have more money invested in my camera equipment, than I do on my toys.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A DSLR always in automatic mode is a waste of money. You may as well buy a decent point and shoot.

Having said that, shooting in manual mode, you can't beat the pics of a DSLR. I would also buy her an entry level course in DSLR photography. I took it and it sure improved my pictures.

I bought a Nikon D5000 a few years back, and it's easy to use. They all are pretty simple to find the features once you find them.

I found that Canon's lenses are very expensive, that's why I went with Nikon for my entry level camera. Still expensive, but that's photography.. LOL

Entry-Level DSLR Cameras 2013 | Best Entry-Level DSLR Camera Comparisons and Reviews - TopTenREVIEWS

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good entry level SLR is a Nikon D3100 has HD video to but if you don't want to learn to use manual mode you should get a good point and shoot.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the Canon 3Ti. Awesome camera. You don't have to buy the canon lenses there are many aftermarket ones that are a lot less money and just as good or better. And even if all you do is shoot on automatic mode change up the lenses to give you the same but different pictures

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the Canon 3Ti. Awesome camera. You don't have to buy the canon lenses there are many aftermarket ones that are a lot less money and just as good or better. And even if all you do is shoot on automatic mode change up the lenses to give you the same but different pictures

What do you mean by changing lenes to give you the same different pictures? But there is no point in shooting in just auto and buying new lenses.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is an example of what shooting in manual can do for you. Full auto is fine if you just have no idea what to do but it sounds like your wife would appreciate being able to take more control of her photos so having a DSLR is a great option since it does both very well. As for the Canon/Nikon debate they are both fantastic, I shoot canon and guys are not joking when they say they have more money invested in photography than a new sled it can get crazy when you get into the big glass.

Attachments

• AK4I2766.jpg
    AK4I2766.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 42
Top Bottom