Calgary/Airdrie area, Anyone interested in practicing with beacons?

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might not be enough snow right now (cant cover the beacons) but when we get some more snow would anyone be interested in meeting in a school yard (Calgary or Airdrie) and setting up some search scenarios? Multiple burials, set up search patterns.........

Id be in I live in big springs airdire and my riding buds would be in to I'm shure

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess I might have to bring my beacon home... Either that or I will just be the guy hiding them / drinking the beer.

We like to hide the beacon with a beer, as a reward for finding the beacon. :beer:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Chit,,hide beacon with beer....This could be fun..

I like the idea of big hill springs area to..There is some good areas to hide things out there.

deucesdeuces

Reaction score
My wife and me would all so be in. Being new to the mountains be great to get some practice

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If no one has mentioned it there's a great beacon basin in Kananaskis that's awesome to practice at. I'd come out and practice too, what the heck.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
If no one has mentioned it there's a great beacon basin in Kananaskis that's awesome to practice at. I'd come out and practice too, what the heck.

can you post more information or links to information about this, I'd like to see it be stickied somewhere.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kananaskis Beacon Basin located at Burstall Pass.

I left a message with the guy below to make sure it's still at the same place. Once he gets back to me I will post another reply.

Mike Koppang
Kananaskis Country Public Safety
403-678-5508 x223

Here's a map showing the location:

Here's a link showing info:

A beacon basin is a great place to practice and try to locate multiple burials. You can select how many beacons you wish to look for. I'd highly recommend this area for a practice with beacons. I try to go every year to practice. Make a day of it early season before you head to the mountains.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chit,,hide beacon with beer...

I didn't know there was another way to do it? Snow keeps beer cold, beer adds incentive to find beacon, the more beacons you find, the more challenging it becomes. Now we just need some snow...

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I left a message with the guy below to make sure it's still at the same place. Once he gets back to me I will post another reply.

Mike Koppang
403-678-5508 x223

A beacon basin is a great place to practice and try to locate multiple burials. You can select how many beacons you wish to look for. I'd highly recommend this area for a practice with beacons. I try to go every year to practice. Make a day of it early season before you head to the mountains.

Ill have to make a trip there before Dec 1st so I can get there from the Longview side.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fantastic!!! This is looking great guys.

OK what would you all think if I (and I would love some help) would set up some scenario sheets that we can follow. The people that have their beacons buried would be scenario bosses (not Avalanche bosses)..... They would control the scenario, maybe while searching they say another avalanche came down....

Here is an example of what I'm thinking. They can be simple or extreme cases.

Scenario

We are sledding and we see a slide take out a rider from another group. No other riders are seen in the area.
Avalanche Boss sets up Two beacons placed approximately 80meters apart (one out of range from the other in a search pattern)
Group does NOT know we have two burials
We are in an EXTREEM avalanche hazard.
We are located in an area where other slides could come down.
Group decides how to proceed.
Example… Decide to send out everyone to search in EXTREEM hazard with likely hood of another slide? Not smart. Send out people with avybags while others are on the lookout?
Send out a Hasty searcher first?
We do not have a last seen, can we use the terrain to guesstimate where he might be?
Execute plan.
Once victim is found , if second burial is not found (without them knowing there is one) Avalanche boss can stop everyone and say a rider has come in and said they are missing TWO people from their group.
Maybe another slide came down. Did all of the rescuers put their beacons back into transmit after the first person was found? If not they are dead and out of the scenario (we can prob for them later).
Group will set up shovel patterns once beacons are found.

Let me know your thoughts. I think the more we put into this the more we will get out of it.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Mike Koppang
403-678-5508 x223

Just spoke with Mike and the Burstall Pass beacon basin will be open when there is enough snow.

Also, they will be opening a new beacon basin at the Canmore Nordic Center following the world cup, so mid December early January. Cheers!

Top Bottom