Brown Recluse Spider

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AKA the Fiddleback. I had no idea how nasty the little ba5tards are. We've had two guys on our site that were bitten by them over the last few days. One guy's arm was swollen, but the other guy spent the day in the hospital....naucious, hard to breath, etc. I did some snooping around on Google, they pack quite a punch. They're not native to Canada, but with all the stuff making it's way up north out of the southern states, we're starting to see a few around.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya a bite can look like fn ganggreen or flesh eatin disease, iheard we got them in bc too

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow as far north as Rimbey. I thought they were only in southwestern Ab. and south eastern BC. They are one bad azz spider they say. Google them and see what happens when they bite you. Scrfce is right.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
no doubt they pack a punch but a lot of the pictures that come up when you "google" brown recluse are fraudulent...We had the scare up in the camps in fort mac a few years back and it almost caused mass hysteria, all of a sudden everyone thought they were bit.... over 80% of suspected bites are a misdiagnosis of a separate condition

Brown Recluse Spider Bite Warning

As suggested by its reclusa (recluse), the brown recluse spider is rarely aggressive, and bites from the species are uncommon. In 2001, more than 2,000 brown recluse spiders were removed from a heavily infested home in Kansas, yet the four residents who had lived there for years were never harmed by the spiders, despite many encounters with them.[SUP][13][/SUP] The spider usually bites only when pressed against the skin, such as when tangled within clothes, towels, bedding, inside work gloves, etc. Many human victims report having been bitten after putting on clothes that had not been worn recently, or had been left for many days undisturbed on the floor. However, the fangs of the brown recluse are so tiny they are unable to penetrate most fabric.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We got a warning about these at work awhile back. The hobo spider is another one to watch too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Margie_O

Reaction score
That sounds terrible. Though spiders seem pretty innocent and there are only a few varieties that can really kill, its bite can get very serious easily. Brown recluse is one of the harmful spiders and Jane Hefferan can prove it. She was bitten after graduating from law school and spent four years recovering, incurring $1 million in medical debt. Four years, 20 surgeries and $1 million, all down to a *deleted link*

Last edited by a moderator:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sounds terrible. Though spiders seem pretty innocent and there are only a few varieties that can really kill, its bite can get very serious easily. Brown recluse is one of the harmful spiders and Jane Hefferan can prove it. She was bitten after graduating from law school and spent four years recovering, incurring $1 million in medical debt. Four years, 20 surgeries and $1 million, all down to a *deleted link*.

Is she still trying to sue the spider for damages??

Last edited by a moderator:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no doubt they pack a punch but a lot of the pictures that come up when you "google" brown recluse are fraudulent...We had the scare up in the camps in fort mac a few years back and it almost caused mass hysteria, all of a sudden everyone thought they were bit.... over 80% of suspected bites are a misdiagnosis of a separate condition

Brown Recluse Spider Bite Warning

As suggested by its reclusa (recluse), the brown recluse spider is rarely aggressive, and bites from the species are uncommon. In 2001, more than 2,000 brown recluse spiders were removed from a heavily infested home in Kansas, yet the four residents who had lived there for years were never harmed by the spiders, despite many encounters with them.[SUP][13][/SUP] The spider usually bites only when pressed against the skin, such as when tangled within clothes, towels, bedding, inside work gloves, etc. Many human victims report having been bitten after putting on clothes that had not been worn recently, or had been left for many days undisturbed on the floor. However, the fangs of the brown recluse are so tiny they are unable to penetrate most fabric.

My buddy got bit in the leg, did the same thing as the guys thumb in the link. Nasty!

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
had a bit of a scare when i was in drumheller, nasty looking little fella came out of a weird web and scared the hell out of me and a few others

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a driver this year get bit in Oklahoma when loading pipe . Got bit in the neck saw him a week later and it was still the size of a golf ball . I imagine a few get rides up for free on Pipe loads and other oil field equipment.

Top Bottom