Broken Bones

dbar7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I went out dirtbiking saturday and came back with a broken collar bone to add to the list of injury's...So i'm off work for 6 weeks and already bored!! What bones or injury's have you picked up over the years doing the motor sports we love, and what do you do to cope with the down time, trying to think of some projects to do on the sled/ bike that wont be to hard on the shoulder and ways to keep in shape during my down time

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I went out dirtbiking saturday and came back with a broken collar bone to add to the list of injury's...So i'm off work for 6 weeks and already bored!! What bones or injury's have you picked up over the years doing the motor sports we love, and what do you do to cope with the down time, trying to think of some projects to do on the sled/ bike that wont be to hard on the shoulder and ways to keep in shape during my down time

Broke my arm last summer pretty good. Didn't do much but sleep, the t3s put you right out!

Sent from a iPhone

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339448235.312931.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339448235.312931.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 320
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339448263.041019.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339448263.041019.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 328

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Somebody should ask Snoqueen to publish photos of her latest adventure. It was perhaps one of the craziest things I have ever seen (and in my line of work, I see some narsty schiznit!!) And that tough biotch is already up and going ;)

I'm not sure if she wants details put on here, but if we bug her enough she might share her gory story ...

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I broke my tib and fib in three spots on my m8 winter of '08.

It's pinned and has a rod from my knee to ankle.

I drank a lot, and watched a ton of discovery channel and sledding videos.

Heal fast man!

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I broke my tib and fib in three spots on my m8 winter of '08.

It's pinned and has a rod from my knee to ankle.

I drank a lot, and watched a ton of discovery channel and sledding videos.

Heal fast man!

Was it shark week??

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No broken bones, but 17 staples, a handful of screws and lots of stitching on the cuff.

DSC01243.jpg

DSC01241.jpg

jazzman

Reaction score
March 25th out for the first ride with the new 860! Flew off of a 30 foot cliff and planted a nose dive into the rocks. Broken right knee cap and torn tendons, left ring finger knuckle head and neck broken off, right wrist broken and slightly dislocated and alot of brusing. Grande Prairie-20120330-00100.jpg Saddle Hills County-20120420-00018.jpg Grande Prairie-20120424-00112.jpg

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OOOO I'd love to use some of these pics for the article I finished today. It was the one about injuries, Snow and Mudder feedback was awesome!! If I can use any of these pics let me know.. I'd love to send them in with a little caption of who you are and what happened to you.

Holy CRAP some of them are insane!

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Dislocated my right shoulder along with a major concussion. Took a couple days off work then got right back at it. Just learned to use my left arm to pull wrenches.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive broken my foot and had a few broken hearts in my time lol.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fractured the back twice now sledding, first time was about 10 years ago and second time was this winter. Fractured T8, feeling pretty good but still gets tight depending on the activity.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Showoff.............j/s
Fractured the back twice now sledding, first time was about 10 years ago and second time was this winter. Fractured T8, feeling pretty good but still gets tight depending on the activity.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in 2007 I hit a falling rock on the road just past Downey Creek north of Revy with my bike at 100kmh. Broke my leg in 2 places. Spent the rest of the summer on my deck staring at the lake and feeling sorry for myself. Learned to hate Oprah!

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Broke my right foot in three places. Riding out from Turtle May5/2012. Darn those polaris pro foot well stirups. Lost it riding down, when the sled started to roll I went to bail off, I got my left foot out. but my right got caught up in behind the footwell stirup. As the sled rolled it just rag dolled me until it stopped.

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crashed my dirtbike hard in 1990. Drove my femur out throught he hip bone.. Had a hip replacement in 2010. The injuys pile up and never really go away. Watched a ton ofTV and build RC models to pass the time. Was off work 51 weeks. Was a bit of a finacial hit too.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crashed my dirtbike hard in 1990. Drove my femur out throught he hip bone.. Had a hip replacement in 2010. The injuys pile up and never really go away. Watched a ton ofTV and build RC models to pass the time. Was off work 51 weeks. Was a bit of a finacial hit too.

I literally lost my breath thinking about that one....holy sh!t that woulda hurt.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As requested by SledMamma...here is my story:

May 27, 2012....It was a gorgeous sunny day to go play in the mud with our side by side Prowler 1000. My hubby and I left in the morning to go venture on our favorite trails and we were having so much fun; oblivious to the horror that would happen to us near the end of a fun-filled day. This day was not unlike the many, many fun days we had had for the last two years with our Prowler....we were not "newbies" to the sport having put on close to 4000 miles on our toy in the last two years.

We had just put on close to 80 miles that day, and were heading home. We decided to ditch the helmets and seatbelts as the last 5 kms back was an un-used logging road and we wanted to just tool along slowly and listen to tunes....

Next thing we knew the Prowler pitched hard to the right, then left and rolled about 4-5 times. I don't remember the roll, but my hubby and I were both thrown, I about 60 feet and he about 30 feet. I remember waking up laying on the road, seeing shrapnel from the bike strewn all over, and my hubby laying behind the bike motionless. I know I tried to get up, but couldn't. My leg just gave out. I screamed at my hubby to wake up, and then I looked down at my leg through my riding pants and motocross boots I could see my left leg was badly bleeding. I knew it was bad.

Meanwhile, I vaguely remember my hubby coming over to me and lifting back the rip in my pants to look at the injury. He was calm but he was frantically running around trying to find the spare tire that was mounted to the roof that flew off the bike in the roll. He changed the tire on the bike, put me back in the seat and got the first aid kit out and used the sling to wrap my leg. How we got back the remaining 5 clicks, I'll never know. When we got there the ambulance was on it's way as luckily we had cell service where we had rolled and my hubby miraculously found his cell phone lying in the dirt!

I don't remember much after that, it was pretty much all a blur....but I do remember that SledMamma was there in the ambulance with me and did not leave my side until after I came out of the OR in the wee hours of the morning!

Ok. Onto the gory part. My injuries. My left leg right below the knee was ripped open all the way around. My ligament (ACL) was severed from the bone. My arteries, nerves and muscle tissue were all hanging out at the back of my leg. I was in the OR for almost 3 hours. Two orthopedic surgeons put my leg back together. They had used 9 litres of saline to clean my wound of all the dirt..... then in hospital for 6 days on rounds of antibiotics....then home with crutches and non-weight bearing for 6-8 wks.

I have a LOOOOOONG road ahead with rehab, etc...but I plan to be sledding this winter! Yuppers!

I know many of you will be wondering what made a 1300 lb machine roll the way it did....we had a nail in the right rear tire, and the tire was slowly losing air pressure. As we came around a downhill corner it pitched to the right, and as my hubby tried to countersteer it pitched hard to the left, then rolled. The tire blew right off the rim. It could happen to anyone. We have definitely gone over in our minds wondering about all the "what-if's". To me, it doesn't matter. We are here to live another day, and I'm not going to defend why we weren't wearing our helmets or seatbelts. Chit happens, and I know most of you that quad, dirtbike, and sled know the risk is there each and every day. Will I ditch my helmet again, even if it's only a minute? Nope. But I do think about the seatbelt....had we been buckled in we might have been crushed, and not thrown clear of the machine.

Here are the pics 16 days post-op:

Attachments

• knee1.jpg
    knee1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 129
  • knee2.jpg
    knee2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 122
  • knee3.jpg
    knee3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 127
Top Bottom