Breaking News 1.1.11 New RZR Released.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brutes are good ,but you will never touch that honda 420.....You just don`t have the power,ground clearence or 4x4 system to compete with the mighty 420....sorry !!!

have u looked at the new 420's stock to stock it has as much ground clearance as u now that they have IRS. and a 420 will go everywhere u go unlike some people i dont need a big bore quad to make up for what your missing in your pants:d

racerfromhell

Reaction score
Here`s the proof , the XP beats the Can am 1000......

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rZ9gW0BP60[/media]

Thats a given, with more HP and a lot lighter it's simple math.
But geeeze I hope that the guy checks his oil a lot......or are the can am guys going to say it's "just break in smoke"

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I gotta say is the day Yamaha decides to build a sportier SxS (which they probably will as soon as they are done paying out those rediculous Rhino lawsuits) Can-Am, Polaris, and Cat won't stand a chance. Yamaha is so far ahead of these guys in engine technology that if they stopped R+D altogether it would still take the others a decade to catch up. The proof is out there: Take the Phazer sled engine for example. Same engine configuration as the Polaris (parallel twin efi four stroke) and it makes damn near the same HP number despite having close to half the displacement, and I would say it's probably more reliable too. Now imagine Yamaha sticks two YZ450 engines together to make a twin...:)

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
80% of all polaris off road vehicles ever made are still on the trails today.........the other 20% actually made it home lol just kiddin

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have u looked at the new 420's stock to stock it has as much ground clearance as u now that they have IRS. and a 420 will go everywhere u go unlike some people i dont need a big bore quad to make up for what your missing in your pants:d

Honda has irs now, what`s next disk brakes /true FOUR wheel drive ?There only about 10 years behind ....lol . Honda makes good reliable quads , but if you think they are mudders you truly are out of touch with the real world......

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I gotta say is the day Yamaha decides to build a sportier SxS (which they probably will as soon as they are done paying out those rediculous Rhino lawsuits) Can-Am, Polaris, and Cat won't stand a chance. Yamaha is so far ahead of these guys in engine technology that if they stopped R+D altogether it would still take the others a decade to catch up. The proof is out there: Take the Phazer sled engine for example. Same engine configuration as the Polaris (parallel twin efi four stroke) and it makes damn near the same HP number despite having close to half the displacement, and I would say it's probably more reliable too. Now imagine Yamaha sticks two YZ450 engines together to make a twin...:)

Yamaha does make great motors , however there days at the top of performance 4/4`s are long over. If it wasn`t for honda they would have the slowest/least powerful 4/4 big bore atv/utv made.
Canam/polaris/ktm has long past yammi on the performance side of things. In fact that is why most people have to put a rotax in there rhino , just to keep up :rolleyes:

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha does make great motors , however there days at the top of performance 4/4`s are long over. If it wasn`t for honda they would have the slowest/least powerful 4/4 big bore atv/utv made.
Canam/polaris/ktm has long past yammi on the performance side of things. In fact that is why most people have to put a rotax in there rhino , just to keep up :rolleyes:

True enough...for now. The Japanese manufacturers differ from their N.A. counterparts in that they design their machines with life cycles in mind (usually they plan for a five year run) and they build each machine top to bottom as a unit not piecing them together with parts from other models (ex they don't stick a 400 motor in an 800 chassis a la poo and BRP to save costs). The r+d process is much more involved this way and it's one of the many reasons why the North Americans can't touch the Japanese when it comes to reliability. This also forces them to be patient because the tooling costs for changing over to build a whole new model are huge. Hence they don't rush things to market. They don't panic when somebody else releases something bigger and better. You won't see a bunch of Yamaha engineers have crisis meeting like this: "Listen up guys. BRP just released a new sxs with a reported 80 horsepower. We've gotta come up with something faster or we're gonna get killed in sales, and we've got six months to get it on the dealer floor. What can we put together in that time?"

That's the difference right there. BRP, Polaris, and Arctic Cat are always chasing the fickle crowd looking for the shiniest fastest whatever. They rush things to market and let the consumer do all the r+d for them because they are focused on short-term gains. Yamaha, Kawasaki and the like work differently. They are focused on building a loyal consumer base by not jumping the gun and making sure that when they build something, they get it right the first time (or damn close). If you build a reliable product the buyers will keep coming back (at least those buyers who don't always have to have the newest and fastest thing on the block). I can't afford to buy a new machine every 2 years, that's why I own a yammie, I know I can count on it for years of use. It'll never beat a rzr or a commander in a drag race, but that's ok with me. Personally I think power is nothing without reliability, some guys look at it the other way around I guess.

I look forward to your inevitable replies about how wrong I am...that's what makes this fun.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actully i agree with most of what you say, however , i think the gap is narrowing between the japanese and north american machines faster than most people think.
I started out racing motocross for yammi ,a long,long time ago so i know they can do it.

I do think they ,like honda have chosen to "sit back" which may or may not be a mistake, time will tell. I like lots of performance in my machines , so at the present time that leaves mostly the brands i have mentioned . That does not mean they will suit everyone , but for me i am not brand loyal so i quite enjoy the competition right now......

racerfromhell

Reaction score
True enough...for now. The Japanese manufacturers differ from their N.A. counterparts in that they design their machines with life cycles in mind (usually they plan for a five year run) and they build each machine top to bottom as a unit not piecing them together with parts from other models (ex they don't stick a 400 motor in an 800 chassis a la poo and BRP to save costs). The r+d process is much more involved this way and it's one of the many reasons why the North Americans can't touch the Japanese when it comes to reliability. This also forces them to be patient because the tooling costs for changing over to build a whole new model are huge. Hence they don't rush things to market. They don't panic when somebody else releases something bigger and better. You won't see a bunch of Yamaha engineers have crisis meeting like this: "Listen up guys. BRP just released a new sxs with a reported 80 horsepower. We've gotta come up with something faster or we're gonna get killed in sales, and we've got six months to get it on the dealer floor. What can we put together in that time?"

That's the difference right there. BRP, Polaris, and Arctic Cat are always chasing the fickle crowd looking for the shiniest fastest whatever. They rush things to market and let the consumer do all the r+d for them because they are focused on short-term gains. Yamaha, Kawasaki and the like work differently. They are focused on building a loyal consumer base by not jumping the gun and making sure that when they build something, they get it right the first time (or damn close). If you build a reliable product the buyers will keep coming back (at least those buyers who don't always have to have the newest and fastest thing on the block). I can't afford to buy a new machine every 2 years, that's why I own a yammie, I know I can count on it for years of use. It'll never beat a rzr or a commander in a drag race, but that's ok with me. Personally I think power is nothing without reliability, some guys look at it the other way around I guess.

I look forward to your inevitable replies about how wrong I am...that's what makes this fun.

I agree to a point. When lets say the new XP, ws being developed, I don't believe that they "threw it together to rush it out" thats where you get in trouble with the public in the relieability end. There are way too many design differences for me to believe that. In the engine department alone, you can't design and test and put into production a new engine in 6 months.....you just can't.
And really, just going over the threads, there seems to be less and less people having engine problems. If your paying 10 G (or in lots of cases more) for a product, the engine should be the last of your worries. As for them using parts from other models (case in point the new XP) that is just good businness. Why not incorperate some good parts into new models. Makes for good parts availability and helps keeps costs down. When it is the best looking SxS, and people like the style, why not keep it around? Also, i believe that a lot of the options will fit on a 2011 xp or on my "old" 2008 non "s" model.......again doesn't that just make sense?:rolleyes:

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree to a point. When lets say the new XP, ws being developed, I don't believe that they "threw it together to rush it out" thats where you get in trouble with the public in the relieability end. There are way too many design differences for me to believe that. In the engine department alone, you can't design and test and put into production a new engine in 6 months.....you just can't.
And really, just going over the threads, there seems to be less and less people having engine problems. If your paying 10 G (or in lots of cases more) for a product, the engine should be the last of your worries. As for them using parts from other models (case in point the new XP) that is just good businness. Why not incorperate some good parts into new models. Makes for good parts availability and helps keeps costs down. When it is the best looking SxS, and people like the style, why not keep it around? Also, i believe that a lot of the options will fit on a 2011 xp or on my "old" 2008 non "s" model.......again doesn't that just make sense?:rolleyes:

It is definitely a way to save costs I won't argue that, and parts interchangeability is a nice thing, however it can still cause problems. When you take a new motor and stuff it into a frame that was designed for a different one there can be issues. Having to take a wheel off to change an oil filter, exhaust routing is not optimal, coolant lines are routed haphazardly creating air pockets...things like that. I'm not saying this is the case with the new rzr as I haven't had to tear one down yet, but I see things like that all the time on N.A. equipment. Working on an outlander 400 is a prime example. Put a 400 single into a frame designed for an 800 twin...not only is it grossly overweight and oversized for a 400, but the bodywork and other parts like the airbox, fuel tank, radiator etc are held in place with the cheesiest bracketry imaginable, as though proper mounting was an afterthought. I understand why they do it that way: they don't have the manufacturing capability to build each model uniquely, but I would prefer my machines to be designed and built as an independent unit. That's just me though...

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is definitely a way to save costs I won't argue that, and parts interchangeability is a nice thing, however it can still cause problems. When you take a new motor and stuff it into a frame that was designed for a different one there can be issues. Having to take a wheel off to change an oil filter, exhaust routing is not optimal, coolant lines are routed haphazardly creating air pockets...things like that. I'm not saying this is the case with the new rzr as I haven't had to tear one down yet, but I see things like that all the time on N.A. equipment. Working on an outlander 400 is a prime example. Put a 400 single into a frame designed for an 800 twin...not only is it grossly overweight and oversized for a 400, but the bodywork and other parts like the airbox, fuel tank, radiator etc are held in place with the cheesiest bracketry imaginable, as though proper mounting was an afterthought. I understand why they do it that way: they don't have the manufacturing capability to build each model uniquely, but I would prefer my machines to be designed and built as an independent unit. That's just me though...

sort of like taking an engine from a grizzly(700) or even the 450cc engine they have and putting it into a rhino which is grossly overweight for the power out put?? Every manufacture does what you speak of.:beer:

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sort of like taking an engine from a grizzly(700) or even the 450cc engine they have and putting it into a rhino which is grossly overweight for the power out put?? Every manufacture does what you speak of.:beer:

The rhino was first built as a lightweight high mobility vehicle for the US military in 2001. It wasn't released to the public for recreational use until 2003. The grizzly 660 was released as a 2002 model at the same time the rhino was first built, 2001. The raptor 660 was also released in 2001. Hence the engine was designed with multiple uses in mind right from the beginning. Sorry, please try again.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that the same 660 that overheats 99% of the time....Yammi is trying to save a buck just like the rest of them. The rhino borrowed MOST of it`s parts from the grizzly, that`s why it is underpowered and uner engineered . .....lol Yamaha does this as much as any one.....

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that the same 660 that overheats 99% of the time....Yammi is trying to save a buck just like the rest of them. The rhino borrowed MOST of it`s parts from the grizzly, that`s why it is underpowered and uner engineered . .....lol Yamaha does this as much as any one.....

Well at least when the yammie overheats the cooling fan doesn't fail. Too bad the same can't be said of the 5 polaris' I have personally towed out of the woods due to thermostat failure (and yes that's a real number not something I heard or made up), lol we could keep this up all year.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ride with yammi and popos and had a popo and had to be towed by the grizz more then once due to cooling issuse pos desgin with rad pacement on the popo 800.

Top Bottom