Brake controlers

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new travel trailer and need to get a brake controler installed. Any brands to avoid, any options to look for and or Brands to buy. Where's the best place to get one installed, any help is appreciated

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new travel trailer and need to get a brake controler installed. Any brands to avoid, any options to look for and or Brands to buy. Where's the best place to get one installed, any help is appreciated

pioneer hitch on argyll road in edmonton

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

NAPA HAS AS GOOD A ONE, AS ANY, AND WE'VE INSTALLED LOTS.... YOU SHOULD CHECK YOUR OWNERS MANUAL, BECAUSE THEY USUALLY HAVE A DIRECT PLUG IN AND WIRING CODES AND VERY STRAIGHT FORWARD. MOST VEHICLES EVEN HAVE THE CONNECTORS IN THE OWNER MANUAL PACKAGE IN THE GLOVE BOX, TO DIRECTLY PLUG INTO THE TRUCK AND CONNECT THE 4 OR 5 WIRES TO THE BRAKE CONTROLLER ..... WHAT KIND OF VEHICLE???

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My truck is a 2003 GMC Sierra and has the 7 pin trailer plug in and the factory towing package, is there a pony tail up under the dash to plug the controler in to ?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
My truck is a 2003 GMC Sierra and has the 7 pin trailer plug in and the factory towing package, is there a pony tail up under the dash to plug the controler in to ?

YUP, I BELIEVE SO.... DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL?? IT GIVES YOU ALL THE INFO IN THERE AND SHOWS YOU WHERE THE PLUG IS UNDER THE DASH..........

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i might even have the plug in piece you need that plugs from the dash to the brake controller in the bottom of my tool box at home. i am not sure with the year of truck you have, but with certain year gm's with the 7-pin they are capable of charging the battery on your trailer while driving
I sell a lot of trucks, and send them to raven on yellowhead for my controlers.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Yip should plug right in so no need to do any wiring and as for brand Prodigy is about the best one out there I got a cheap Reese one it sucks

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IF YOU HAVE THE WIRE CONNECTOR WHEN YOU BUY THE CONTROLLER IT WILL HAVE THE WIRES MARKED AS WHAT GOES TO WHERE .... THEN THEY ARE A PLUG AND PLAY..... MOUNT IT WHERE IT IS OUT OF THE WAY AND NOT IN THE WAY OF ANYTHING YOUR GOOD TO GO MIGHT NEED TO INSTALL A RELAY (CHECK OWNERS MANUAL) I HAVE A VOYAGER AND IT WORKS GREAT WIL RUN YA ABOUT 90.00 OR SO

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prodigy is the absolute best there is. I have towed 2 place snow trailers to a fully loaded 9 horse gooseneck horse trailer. Excellent modulation and almost idiot proof

I would never tow without one again.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great info guys as I was just thinking about this myself. Nissan comes with the tail end piece and plug in slot under dash.

Does Pioneer sell the Prodigy brand?

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prodigy is the absolute best there is. I have towed 2 place snow trailers to a fully loaded 9 horse gooseneck horse trailer. Excellent modulation and almost idiot proof

I would never tow without one again.

Hands down the Prodigy by Tekonsha is the best, I had it in my last truck and it worked great.Easy straight forward to use and install.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Switch

Try ABC Muffler and Hitch. on 50 th st They are pretty good to deal with. Just say that you were at their booth at the Boat and Sportsmans Show and maybe they will give you a deal on your brake controller and your load leveling trailer hitch. See if they will give you a " Show Special" - it worth a try.

Zar

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Zar, I'll give them a shout Monday and try for the show special.

Top Bottom