Boy do i love new trucks!!

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the tow truck guy just loaded my new 2007 Ram 3500 with 3100 KM onto his deck.It,s headed into Derrick Dodge to get fixed. The check engine light and the electronic throttle control light came on and then the whole truck started shaking. I stopped and then shut it off and it would not go again. I must say i am a little upset, but not as upset as i would have been if it had quit on our up coming sled trip to Mcbride. I talked to the tow truck driver and he said that they are hauling in quite a few new trucks daily. Not to start anything but he stated that the are hauling in more new fords then any other truck. Has this problem occured with anyone on this site and if so once it is it fixed will it stay fixed or is this problem going to continue?

Thanks

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been driving fords for twenty years never been left on side of road yet....well over 400,000kms........must be driver more than vehicle lol

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I'd be some kind ogf mad...now that being said I had my Duramax towed last night and funny thing, the tow truck driver told me the same thing (in general). He siad there towing a ton of new vehicles (Cars and Trucks) on a daily basis....it's not looking good ot buy a new vehicle these days.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Not to start anything but he stated that the are hauling in more new fords then any other truck.

Talking with more than one ford dealer lately Im suprised with your comment, I think your tow truck driver likes them dodges.:D The service manager I takled with were very suprised with the new 6.4L with the minimal amount of problems with that model. Not really engine or transmissions. My truck is just the air filter and the crummy lift. Not like the 6.0L when It first arrived, there was a hook on many of the trucks. Myself Ive always been a GM person, I had some issues with my last truck, injectors at 110000km for one. I have a few friends with new dodges and one with an 07 that has had a few issues from injectors to fuel pump, it has had that journey on the hook to derrick dodge more than 2 times in the last 6 months and he is a courier which is his living. And all these new issues with the exhaust filter getting plugged up the 08 dodges are crazy. I like all the toys and luxury's of a new vehicle but now I buy all the warante's as there is so much that can go wrong in ALL new vehicles. And the other thing I noticed is the Ford and Dodge tow Service is terrible. I'll keep my RV Plus AMA Card, and pray that Im not on a hook any time soon or in the future. That roadside assistance with your vehicle is not worth the card its printed on, I can say that for Ford, Dodge and GM.

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have never had a Ford leave me stranded on the side of a road, my '08 hasn't had any trouble worth talking about, just had to get an update, I still look forward to driving it everyday, usually that novelty wears off.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.... You guys are scaring me:nono:

Been looking at new trucks and reseaching problem on various forums. Seems all the new trucks, gas and diesel, are having their problems. Even the Tundra has been pulled off the recommended buy list.

At 70 grand or more for a one ton you'd think you could find something that gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling. Instead I tend to agree with Ron, buy all the warrenty you can; At least the warrenty might give you that warm and fuzzy feeling.

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It does not matter what brand you buy, when you spend that kind of money to buy a truck you should at least be able to drive it a few years before problems. It is no different then buying used you never no if you are going to have problems or not. There was a time you bought new because you wanted something dependable. Not now adays.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
and I just seen a new durmax ( that one with the goofy tailpipe) on a bed truck tonight headed somewhere so I guess doesn't matter what brand they are all gettin the same bug

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy a new truck every six months, never had anything major happen, knock on wood. I am in the business and have driven every type of vehicle, brand, cars, trucks, sports cars, exotics, all of them, new and used, they are machines with a millon moving parts, climate and fuel quality, maintence, blah blah all play into the problems, and it can happen to anyone. the new fords have the filter problems and horrible milage, the duramax need the allison reprogramed so it dosen't cook it self, and the dodge, well, won't touch that.
just kidding. I would recommend not being a A$$ to your dealer when you buy the truck, because as a sales manager of a store, the nice people who are not rude and don't talk down to the people that worked there after they just financed their new truck for 10 years because that was the only way the could afford it or get approved, get the best service, and the sales people are actually willing to go talk to the service manager and try to get you in sooner and pull some strings.

sorry about the rant.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All in all makes me feel good about all the stuff I had to do on my 03 dodge w/210,000km before we went to yellowstone.

Replace defrost door ($15 parts, 8 hours labour to remove dash)
Replace intermediat steering shaft
Replace steering box
Add more oil to diffs (seals leak)
Fix leaking water pump

I keep reminding my wife that if we had a brand new truck, it might also give us headaches too.

The thing that gets me the most is the down time. I had to spend time fixing my truck. Guys with new trucks gone bad get to spend a lot of time going back and forth to the dealer. It adds up to days, real fast.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
biggest problem on the new stuff is if the computer even thinks there might be a problem it shuts the vehicle down.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The part that kills me is that some people just beat the crap out of their trucks, no letting it warm up, buy the cheapest fuel, do no regular maintence, just don't treat it right, and then get mad when it lets them down.
I feel bad when someone baby's there truck or car or sled or whatever and it lets them down, then it is no fun to own that new item.

the bottom line is that with what vehicles cost it would be nice to never have to do any sort of repair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy has new chev with a 2 inch lift and they(chev) are telling him he has to take it out or go to a 4 inch lift, so he going back to stock.:rant:

162SKIDOO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The part that kills me is that some people just beat the crap out of their trucks, no letting it warm up, buy the cheapest fuel, do no regular maintence, just don't treat it right, and then get mad when it lets them down.
I feel bad when someone baby's there truck or car or sled or whatever and it lets them down, then it is no fun to own that new item.

the bottom line is that with what vehicles cost it would be nice to never have to do any sort of repair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 02 DURAMAX has had a life of towing a trailer(8000lbs) all its life....near everyday, not to mention being loaded down. This truck has never been babied and has been unreal. I would think if they can build 1 they could build many . I think technology is great but if it's not good enough to be reliable whats the use. I'd rather own a 1985 454 3/4 ton 4 gear than own a new truck with all the goodies that i'm frightened to drive because it's going to strand me. I'm also worried because i'm in the market to buy my new truck (GM of course) and am scarred to death. What to do Jeremy...better yet ...where to buy ...Hmmm :) (hint hint)

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to convince myself to get rid of my 1998 chev 454 but stuff like this makes me think...stay with tried and true.

162SKIDOO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally agree...

The only thing making me worry abit is its only a matter of time before it's a rear end for 1500...then the tranny...and if your doin the tranny may as well beef it up so there goes another 6000...and yes the engine might need work at 5 or 600000 km then thats 10g and so on. It's just a tough scale to try to balance especially when its nice to own new stuff ...but at what cost is it worth while to do so. Like i said my truck is a perfect example of this....im on the line.

Top Bottom