bought a broken sled

coolcam

Reaction score
I got a good deal on a 05 rev 800 but the motor is nfg. Does anyone know if the motor out of my 02 ZX 800 will go in? would the reverse work? I don't want to spend the money on a short block when i have a good motor sitting there in a beat up sled. Any tips would be a great help.

coolcam

Reaction score
it says 800HO on the hood for the 02. Is the bolt pattern different in the Y pipe?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it says 800HO on the hood for the 02. Is the bolt pattern different in the Y pipe?

i think he was probably refering to the angle of the y pipe. might not fit properly in the chassis.
long story short any engine will work in any sled just depends how much work you want to doo. well except a poo engine they dont work in anything. lol.
ty it and see what happens all you'll be out is time if it doesn't work and if it does you got a good sled.

coolcam

Reaction score
I have the proper rev Y pipe, i don't think that will be a problem. I am mostly worried about the electronics and whether the reverse will work with an older motor. Do they change anything mechanically in motor to allow reverse operation or does the computer just advance the timing? I'm also planning on using the clutch off the blown motor and am assuming the PTO is the same size/taper.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the proper rev Y pipe, i don't think that will be a problem. I am mostly worried about the electronics and whether the reverse will work with an older motor. Do they change anything mechanically in motor to allow reverse operation or does the computer just advance the timing? I'm also planning on using the clutch off the blown motor and am assuming the PTO is the same size/taper.

i dont think there is any change internally on the engine as any 2 stroke engine will run backwards. you willjust have to use both clutches off the rev as well but i would go for it. your not going to damage anything if it doesn't work. might have to modify a couple plugs but otherwise should be good to rip.

coolcam

Reaction score
Thanks Magnet!!
It might work is good enough for me. I'm gonna go for it. I will pull the electrical out of the blown motor and install it in the good one so the plugs are the same. Thanks for the input, I will post success or fail.
When i was pulling the motor out of the rev it seemed like the engine mounts were worn out. The last owner was having problems with belts blowing up and i am hoping it can be traced back to the rubber mounts. How much flex should be in the motor mounts once it's installed?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Magnet!!
It might work is good enough for me. I'm gonna go for it. I will pull the electrical out of the blown motor and install it in the good one so the plugs are the same. Thanks for the input, I will post success or fail.
When i was pulling the motor out of the rev it seemed like the engine mounts were worn out. The last owner was having problems with belts blowing up and i am hoping it can be traced back to the rubber mounts. How much flex should be in the motor mounts once it's installed?

very very little if any, i cannot rock my 1000 when its bolted down. one thing i just thought of is check your pto side engine mount if it is the same. on my 1000 the torque plate bolts on around your output shaft dont think the zx was the same. holes might still be there though.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not much alignment adjustment on the rev. best to replace the motor mounts, tighten the torque stop then add a secondary floating spacer. that willl ensure proper alignment all the time

coolcam

Reaction score
Thanks, How much should the secondary float? The ZX has lots of axial play and i never blew belts on it. I didn't think to check the REV before i ripped it apart.

coolcam

Reaction score
Thanks Maxwell. can i get spacer at Martin or should i go to specialty? Any other tips before i install the motor? I have all summer to do repairs and want to make sure i cover all the bases before i reassemble.

coolcam

Reaction score
I was afraid i would have to replace the whole plate. The individual mounts don't look replacable. I will check out the 440 plate.

mark4

Reaction score
flywheels are different, so you'd have to change that to work with the 05 components
head will bolt on,
just rebuild the 05 engine, get ahold of Terra Alps racing have lots of parts in stock for them, pistons , gaskets, and can weld up the cases if they need to be to save you money.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
flywheels are different, so you'd have to change that to work with the 05 components
head will bolt on,
just rebuild the 05 engine, get ahold of Terra Alps racing have lots of parts in stock for them, pistons , gaskets, and can weld up the cases if they need to be to save you money.

stay away from welding cases. jmo
it is impossible to properly repair a case by welding as the heat will warp the metal and you have to line bore the case after to properly fit your crank or you will be doing it again.
i know lots of peeps that say it can be done but they seem to be the same guys that are doing an engine every year. i just went through it with my 1000. lots of guys said ya we can weld it for you ok do you warrenty your work. yes no problem...........................but then they all say but we only warrenty the wedling we are not responsible for anything else. i.e. crank, rods, pistons, etc that got damaged as a result of their faulty weld
buy new cases if needed way cheaper in the long run.
as well this same issue has been talked to death in other threads, an 800 short block is so cheap they are not worth rebuilding by the time you factor in parts and your own labour. faster and cheaper to go with a new short block right fom doo.

oh and if you need parts to rebuild check out PARKLAND MOTORSPORTS IN STONY PLAIN.780-968-3181 best prices by far and will not find bette service anywhere on the planet jmo.

coolcam

Reaction score
short block is the proper thing to do. No arguements here. Definitly not worth rebuilding. I don't want to spend 2200 when i have a good motor sitting around. I'm still gonna try, i'm only wasting time, not money. Thanks for all the input. I will probably ask for more help as i go and appreciate all of it.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a spare mount i think ... i would have to check.. let me know if you want it

coolcam

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking of installing a big bore kit before i install motor into sled. I have been in contact with RK tek. They want me to send my cylinders and exhaust valves to them to do the machine work. Is there anyone that will do an exchange instead of waiting for parts to ship back from The States? Is RK the kit to go with?

Top Bottom