Boiling Gas

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone ever has issues with 700 Grizzly and literaly boiling gas when the machine is hot, out today for 60kms and opened the gas cap and she was boiling.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take the tank off and and cover the bottom and sides in heat reflective tape. i had a 08 sportsman 800 that was the same, tape made a huge difference.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone ever has issues with 700 Grizzly and literaly boiling gas when the machine is hot, out today for 60kms and opened the gas cap and she was boiling.

My '08 700 boils the gas when the engine gets hot, pressures up the tank too, when I shut it off you can hear the air coming out of the cap, so , when I park I will usually loosen the cap to relieve the pressure. I will try the reflective tape on the bottom of the tank though. Sounds like its worth trying . :beer: :)

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
There is a rollover protection valve on the right side of the tank just beside the filler cap. One has to take the black plastic cover off to access it. Chances are good that that is plugged and not allowing the tank to breathe. As you are using gas it's putting a vacuum on the tank, therefore lowering the actual boiling point of the gas. I had the same issue with my '07. One could actually here the gas boiling in the tank when stopped. When u take the cap off you get what is called a BLEVE (boiling liquid expanding vapour explosion). Yamaha knows of this problem and had an update for it. New rollover valve with bigger checkvalve system to allow more air transfer. Changed mine out 4 years ago and have not had an issue since.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha has a long history of boiling gas and sputtering in their grizzlies. Reflective heat tape on the bottom of the gas tank and then highlifter heat wrap on the pipes if you need too go the extra.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I know this might stir up the $h!t.....but did you guys know that if gasoline it under extream vacuum.....it INCREASES the boiling point! Gasoline under extream Vacuum can be super heated to around 600 plus degs (cant remember exact temp but it is over 500 and under 700)......this is the start formula that has been tried and tested on a fuel vapor car that get over 100 mpg and is in use today down at the coast........you can all say I'm full of crap but the truth is the truth......gasoline is opposit to water in extream vacuum. just my 2 cents that means nothing! used the heat tape! if your tank is under Vacuum it wont get gas to the engine (that will make it sputter)......but it wont do anything to make it boil quicker!

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rollover Valve - extremely common in grizzlies. Drill it out or get a new checkvalve.
Do a search on it. Napa has parts. (all Yammi dealers should know what your talking about if you call them)

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
well I know this might stir up the $h!t.....but did you guys know that if gasoline it under extream vacuum.....it INCREASES the boiling point! Gasoline under extream Vacuum can be super heated to around 600 plus degs (cant remember exact temp but it is over 500 and under 700)......this is the start formula that has been tried and tested on a fuel vapor car that get over 100 mpg and is in use today down at the coast........you can all say I'm full of crap but the truth is the truth......gasoline is opposit to water in extream vacuum. just my 2 cents that means nothing! used the heat tape! if your tank is under Vacuum it wont get gas to the engine (that will make it sputter)......but it wont do anything to make it boil quicker!

Hate to say it, but that defies all laws of physics. Any liquid in its natural state, Natural state being 14.5 PSI (atmosperic pressure) and an ambient temperature of around 20 deg (room temp), is subject to these laws. When heated it expands, When cooled it contracts. Water actually being the only exception cause it actually starts to expand again at 4 deg C. Boiling point is the temperature when a liquid goes to a Gaseous state. By applying pressure one can effectively raise the boiling point of a liquid and by decreasing pressure it lowers the boiling point. A simple experiment/demonstration i did way back in colledge taking mechanics, was to make oil boil at room temperature. Just a couple o-ring sealed plungers with t-handles on them and a clear pvc pipe. Insert one plunger into the pipe about halfway and fill with oil and place other plunger in the other end. Slide everything together so its centered in the pipe and then grab a buddy and pull opposite of one another using the t-handle. By putting extreme vacuum the oil will boil at room temp. Don't see how one hydrocarbon based product could be different from another.

Now with the newer quads and such which have fuel tanks mounted under seats, there is usually a fuel pump involved to get fuel to the carb as gravity feed doesn't work anymore. Same as fuel injected there's a pump. These pumps are capable of putting enough of a vaccuum on a tank to cause the gas to boil with out compromising the running state of the engine. Not tlike the old top mounted gravity fed ones were if the vent is plugged they just sputter and quit.

Just my 2 cents. If anyone can disprove me go ahead, but have proof and i will accept it.

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy has a LTR 450 with a vented cap. His tank sits highenogh it could easily gravity fed. But he is fuel injected. So he has a pump. When his vent hose was plugged one day his quad would keep shutting off. Wait 5 it would run for a min and shut off till I told him his cap was plugged.

evenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but that defies all laws of physics. Any liquid in its natural state, Natural state being 14.5 PSI (atmosperic pressure) and an ambient temperature of around 20 deg (room temp), is subject to these laws. When heated it expands, When cooled it contracts. Water actually being the only exception cause it actually starts to expand again at 4 deg C. Boiling point is the temperature when a liquid goes to a Gaseous state. By applying pressure one can effectively raise the boiling point of a liquid and by decreasing pressure it lowers the boiling point. A simple experiment/demonstration i did way back in colledge taking mechanics, was to make oil boil at room temperature. Just a couple o-ring sealed plungers with t-handles on them and a clear pvc pipe. Insert one plunger into the pipe about halfway and fill with oil and place other plunger in the other end. Slide everything together so its centered in the pipe and then grab a buddy and pull opposite of one another using the t-handle. By putting extreme vacuum the oil will boil at room temp. Don't see how one hydrocarbon based product could be different from another.

Now with the newer quads and such which have fuel tanks mounted under seats, there is usually a fuel pump involved to get fuel to the carb as gravity feed doesn't work anymore. Same as fuel injected there's a pump. These pumps are capable of putting enough of a vaccuum on a tank to cause the gas to boil with out compromising the running state of the engine. Not tlike the old top mounted gravity fed ones were if the vent is plugged they just sputter and quit.

Just my 2 cents. If anyone can disprove me go ahead, but have proof and i will accept it.

Yeah, mine boils all the time when its really hot out and it runs like a dream.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You are mistaken.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I have the same problem. Talked to the dealer and he said there is an update to the vent valve i think.

There is an update, atleast in 08 there was. Not sure if they updated it yet again. If you have an 07 model make sure to get the proper mounting hardware for it as well, otherwise it just flops around.

falconblack

Reaction score
If the update is in fact out then your dealer should just give you one when you make him aware you are having problems with the vapor lock!!!Just my opinion

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You are mistaken.

not going to get in to it but just talk to these guys.......gas has some really weird properties! you can say all you want but they have a car that gets 100 MPG and is going into production. funny how you super heat gasoline under a vacuum and it works perfect in a engine! but like I said....not going to get into a pi$$ing match.
FuelVapor Technologies - fuel efficient vehicle automobile high mileage

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Did some Internet research on this whole vapor fuel topic. Turns out the tech has been around for many years just not widely known by the masses.

From what I understand, the simple version is to use engine vacuum to put a suck on the fuel tank. Therefore causing it to boil. By boiling u get vapors which is sucked into the engine intake system. A carb is not needed to atomize the fuel because one already has vapor, but it still needs air, not sure how that's done. Now for the heating issue. Ever opened up a propane bottle wfo and noticed the frost that will build up on the bottle and the loss in propane flowing? This apparently is what happens to the fuel tank. The heater is to keep the fuel from freezing. Now I'm sure there is a whole lot more to this but that's the basics from what I understand. Still just the same old laws of physics in relation to pressure and temperature.

Sent from my iPhone because dial-up sucks!

Top Bottom