Boat glass?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I got home from going on the river and noticed a rock smashed my boat windshield out. So what does a guy do now? Go to the manufacturer for glass? Or can a guy get one cut at the local glass shop? It's just flat no contour to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glass shop and get one cut. I would not use the tempered glass as it explodes when hit.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought. And was going to go none tempered. My boat is a mess! I got to take a closer look when I get home. But I think someone might of smashed it. The glass is still sitting like it fell, still on top of the dash and stuff. Neighbour has a video camera pointed in my driveway that I will have to check.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought. And was going to go none tempered. My boat is a mess! I got to take a closer look when I get home. But I think someone might of smashed it. The glass is still sitting like it fell, still on top of the dash and stuff. Neighbour has a video camera pointed in my driveway that I will have to check.

Something to consider is MarGar , not sure of the spelling, as an option. It is in my little boat, has had a hard life and is still not scratched or blurred. It's tough as hell and very light. I really like it.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something to consider is MarGar , not sure of the spelling, as an option. It is in my little boat, has had a hard life and is still not scratched or blurred. It's tough as hell and very light. I really like it.

It's more like a plastic/lexan? I called the local glass shop and they can cut a piece of laminated glass. He said it would shatter like the old window it will be like a windshield.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
It's more like a plastic/lexan? I called the local glass shop and they can cut a piece of laminated glass. He said it would shatter like the old window it will be like a windshield.

I used this stuff call Optix on our old 1977 Travelaire after someone put the truck deck thru the front window..... it was easy to work with and very durable. Bought it at Home Depot, cut with a good strong exacto knife.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/search.products.html#!q=optix

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's more like a plastic/lexan? I called the local glass shop and they can cut a piece of laminated glass. He said it wouldn't shatter like the old window it will be like a windshield.

I awesome it was "wouldn't "

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used this stuff call Optix on our old 1977 Travelaire after someone put the truck deck thru the front window..... it was easy to work with and very durable. Bought it at Home Depot, cut with a good strong exacto knife.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/search.products.html#!q=optix

What's it like for abrasion? My tarp goes over the windows so I am scared of using anything other then glass. It might look like crap real fast with the tarp flapping up against it all the time.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
What's it like for abrasion? My tarp goes over the windows so I am scared of using anything other then glass. It might look like crap real fast with the tarp flapping up against it all the time.

It did fine with road grime. Didn't seem to be too scratched up

Top Bottom