Bill 6

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we voted them in! Time for employment standards on the farm just like everywhere else.

AB is the last Province to adopt WCB coverage for farmers. Only 25 fatalities on the farm in 2014 - I don't understand the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will be more in the years to come, when "dad" is over tired because he couldnt let his kids help out or afford wcb for an employee.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a tax grab by the NDP. If they cared about farm safety, there would have been committees set up to make rules that apply to farms and farmers would have been consulted. The NDP is going to be using the oh&s rules that are in place, so the farms will have comply with those rules. Examples your grain bin will be a combined space, so you will have to have an entry plan with backup and SCBA.

This bill needs to be stopped.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Examples your grain bin will be a confined space, so you will have to have an entry plan with backup and SCBA.

This bill needs to be stopped.

I know nothing about farming. I'm just a guy that works in industry, so don't take this personally. It's an honest question.

Why SHOULDN'T a grain bin be considered a confined space? :confused:

Reactions: LBZ

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I know nothing about farming. I'm just a guy that works in industry, so don't take this personally. It's an honest question.

I agree.

And another question... A farm is run as a business. Why shouldn't you have to have WCB coverage when my business has to have it?

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm in the same boat as you I don't work on a farm. But I do live in a farming community and At least half the deaths I've heard about on farms are people suffocating in or being crushed by grain. There was a grandpa and grandson, and 3 young girls that all passed away this summer. Not saying bill 6 is the right path but I do think farm safety has room to improve.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree.

And another question... A farm is run as a business. Why shouldn't you have to have WCB coverage when my business has to have it?[/QUOT

Industry or Way of Life?
Depends on a lot of things.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Solely because it costs more for the farmers to do the work to OH&S standards. It's going to make it more difficult for small farms to follow the rules, or they can choose to not follow the rules and risk substantial fines or jail time in the event a worker does get injured on the job.

Grain bins are hazardous, and there have been multiple people asphyxiated inside of them due to lack of Oxygen over the years. Although relative to a million dollar a year farming operation a $1000 gas monitor and $2000 SCBA shouldn't break the bank.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is going to make farm life very difficult. I think the small farms will be shut down and corporate farms will be created. Kids are not allowed to work it will take 2 people to get a bucket of grain. No one will be allowed on the land unless the farmer has WCBU, ie no hunting, sledding, during calving season you will have to have hired help so you don't work to many hours. A farmer will even have to take one day a week off, who feeds the animals?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, not to be a dick about it.....but it sounds like what I'm hearing is it costs too much to keep people safe. Is that really the argument here? :confused:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we voted them in! Time for employment standards on the farm just like everywhere else.

AB is the last Province to adopt WCB coverage for farmers. Only 25 fatalities on the farm in 2014 - I don't understand the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't vote them in.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, not to be a dick about it.....but it sounds like what I'm hearing is it costs too much to keep people safe. Is that really the argument here? :confused:

But in reality zero extra safety equipment is needed on most farms these days. What is needed is more training for some people, which shouldn't cost that much and wouldn't have to involve OH&S.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree keeping people safe is the most important, but the way this bill is will change thier way of life. If the bill included rules about farming, then if would be a good idea. This bill is getting ram through by government with no input from farmers, I don't think that is fair.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Essentially that is what it boils down to, for some farms it means the added cost will essentially take away any profit they have. But the reality of the modern world is that small farms really aren't competitive/profitable anymore, this isn't anything new, most of the people I know have "hobby" farms of a quarter or 2 and then work other jobs to pay for it. You simply can't afford to make payments on millions of dollars of farm equipment on the profits from a few quarters of land, it is now go big or go home.

Similar thing to what happened to the Oil & Gas industry years ago, many will resist the change but eventually will give in and see the benefits. It isn't going to happen overnight though, no matter how rammy Notley gets with the legislation, it will take a generation to change the safety culture.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think any farmer is trying to cut corners on safety. Accidents are called accidents for a reason. The main argument I am hearing from other farm folks is the stupidity of some of the text in the Bill. My grandson can no longer follow me around the farm, ride in the combine or tractor because of his age and the imaginary buffer zone around our house imposed by the government. My grain haulers now will have to provide to me proof they have paid there WCB dues before they can enter my property to haul my grain. Even 4H is affected by this, hunters wanting to access my land. Its crazy. And there is no way my wife will be wearing steel toed boots, a safety vest, and a hard hat to run me out lunch to the field. Its not about safety. Its about the NDP's push for unions and the dues that go with it.

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cost is one Concern of course-even our big industries put a cap on Safety. Its not advertised but we know its there
Closure basically of all land to anyone but of working age owner and Employees (No Kids Family or Friends unless employees)
Family and Friends Way of life-No underage help-orientations ect to hold Brandings and other activities that were Community functions
Fines for being not " Properly Trained" by some book and instructor that has no idea and Having Kids sitting on the side lines.
Lack of productive time
ect ect.......

This will take the Family and community aspect out of it.

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think any farmer is trying to cut corners on safety. Accidents are called accidents for a reason. The main argument I am hearing from other farm folks is the stupidity of some of the text in the Bill. My grandson can no longer follow me around the farm, ride in the combine or tractor because of his age and the imaginary buffer zone around our house imposed by the government. My grain haulers now will have to provide to me proof they have paid there WCB dues before they can enter my property to haul my grain. Even 4H is affected by this, hunters wanting to access my land. Its crazy. And there is no way my wife will be wearing steel toed boots, a safety vest, and a hard hat to run me out lunch to the field. Its not about safety. Its about the NDP's push for unions and the dues that go with it.

You type faster!! And Word Better

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WORD.
You hear of these tragedies, and many just pass it off as a family tragic incident.

This one this summer is no different as any negligence child incident, you bring in a farming scenario, and it's suddenly becomes a sympathy issue, while the real problem is buried.

It is an industry, and yes it is family orientated, but there should be safety rules ENFORCED, and followed...

I'm in the same boat as you I don't work on a farm. But I do live in a farming community and At least half the deaths I've heard about on farms are people suffocating in or being crushed by grain. There was a grandpa and grandson, and 3 young girls that all passed away this summer. Not saying bill 6 is the right path but I do think farm safety has room to improve.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WORD.
You hear of these tragedies, and many just pass it off as a family tragic incident.

This one this summer is no different as any negligence child incident, you bring in a farming scenario, and it's suddenly becomes a sympathy issue, while the real problem is buried.

It is an industry, and yes it is family orientated, but there should be safety rules ENFORCED, and followed...
So what is the answer Cuso in regards to the horrible tragedy of the 3 girls in central Alta? Lock em in the house?

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But in reality zero extra safety equipment is needed on most farms these days. What is needed is more training for some people, which shouldn't cost that much and wouldn't have to involve OH&S.

Unfortunately it does have to involve OH&S, anytime possible profits and safety are in conflict profits will win. OH&S is a body by which these rules can be enforced, and can be used to standardize training. Volunteer safety programs rarely work, take a look right now, only 5%-7% of farms carry WCB coverage.

Following these rules won't be overly difficult, look at contract rig welders, most of them are single employee companies that carry WCB coverage and follow OH&S regulations, hours of service etc.

The real problem I see is the rate of change, instead of slowly implementing change Notley has decided to through the frog directly into boiling water.

Top Bottom