Beginner areas anywhere within a few hours of Edmonton for a family?

Amy C.

Reaction score
Hi all, I am totally new to this but so happy I found this site :) We are a family of 4 that just purchased 3 dirt bikes and a quad for some family fun, however we are all still learning and have only been in big empty fields. Our boys are 8 & 9 so nothing too crazy for us, for now anyway. lol. We are hoping to go out tmrw for the day to get spend some time getting familiar and more comfortable with the bikes. Does anyone know a good quiet place within a few hours of Edmonton that we can go? Thanks in advance. Happy May Long :)

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Amy. You are going to be hard pressed not to find a quiet area on the long weekend. Vega is probably one of the best places for you to go close to Edmonton but it will be a total zoo this weekend. Bruderheim and Redwater are only about 40 min away but again they will be pretty busy. However, Redwater will definitely be the better of the two for families and beginners 'cause. Bruderheim has some more diverse terrain but is also usually very busy with no shortage of chit heads hanging around. You could also ride the iron Horse Trail from Smokey Lake towards Bellis. Just before Bellis, you will find some sand trails to the South of the Iron Horse trail.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am totally new to this but so happy I found this site :) We are a family of 4 that just purchased 3 dirt bikes and a quad for some family fun, however we are all still learning and have only been in big empty fields. Our boys are 8 & 9 so nothing too crazy for us, for now anyway. lol. We are hoping to go out tmrw for the day to get spend some time getting familiar and more comfortable with the bikes. Does anyone know a good quiet place within a few hours of Edmonton that we can go? Thanks in advance. Happy May Long :)

Theres a few place closer to edmonton that you may think.. ill post some maps when I get home

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What is the place called that you first posted Vance? I've been out riding near Bon Accord before, but not sure if this is the same area I am thinking of - what kind of riding is it? I'm looking for some different places to check out for dirtbiking in the Edmonton area as well.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the place called that you first posted Vance? I've been out riding near Bon Accord before, but not sure if this is the same area I am thinking of - what kind of riding is it? I'm looking for some different places to check out for dirtbiking in the Edmonton area as well.

Everyone seems to have a different name for this area - we often call it Bon Accord or Lilly Lake. There are a bunch of gravel pits in this area with a small amount of crown land scattered in and around them. It's skeggy to the south of the pits but everywhere else is good for dirt bikes. In the past, the gravel pit owners didn't seem to mind us riding through some of their pits, but it seems they are getting pretty fed up these days and are starting to barricade some trail entrances and lock gates. The owners are complaining about people shooting into their finished aggregate piles, taking their equipment for joy rides, vandalization, etc. on top of the concerns they always had regarding liability.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone seems to have a different name for this area - we often call it Bon Accord or Lilly Lake. There are a bunch of gravel pits in this area with a small amount of crown land scattered in and around them. It's skeggy to the south of the pits but everywhere else is good for dirt bikes. In the past, the gravel pit owners didn't seem to mind us riding through some of their pits, but it seems they are getting pretty fed up these days and are starting to barricade some trail entrances and lock gates. The owners are complaining about people shooting into their finished aggregate piles, taking their equipment for joy rides, vandalization, etc. on top of the concerns they always had regarding liability.

Ah okay, yeah Lilly Lake seems to sound familiar to me, its probably the same spot I've been to a couple years ago but don't remember how to get there so I may have to go out there again sometime. I do remember gravel pits and sand trails.. Thanks!

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah okay, yeah Lilly Lake seems to sound familiar to me, its probably the same spot I've been to a couple years ago but don't remember how to get there so I may have to go out there again sometime. I do remember gravel pits and sand trails.. Thanks!

I was there this past saturday and found some new trails again. Some fences went up and some sand and trees have been piled up going into one of the sand pits ...but just respect it and go around no big deal. Took a friend with us and had a blast always a good time

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Go north on 651 anout ten minutes the tun left at the end...at a t intersection then your second right then drive north till you see the staging area on your right about 5km or less

Craneman32

Reaction score
Go straight through the town of Bruderheim to the east side of the creek. It's way more quiet. Lots of room to use dirt bikes and not nearly as many people go there because it has tons of sand and whoops. Enjoy.

TeenWolf

Reaction score

So I was out at this spot today and managed to somehow forget my helmet at the staging area. When I got home and finally realized I didn't have it I turned around and drove the hour back to see if I could get luck and it would still be there. No such luck. In the 3 hr Tim farm from 7pm to 10pm someone must have grabbed it. It had my helmet cam with external mic and my Bluetooth communication system on it. FML. there was about $1000 worth if stuff in there. I'm so chocked. If by some miracle someone hears of a person picking up a black brp skidoo helmet w/blue eks goggles with above mention technology on it please let me know. Thx.

Top Bottom