BC Hydro wants to raise EV charging fees

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I priced it at $0.20/kwh all in (after fees).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds about right, i know in the summer it was hovering around 19c. 1 would surely think with all the Eco smart lights, appliances, etc.. that are currently used the grid would not be as hindered though as compared to earlier years with incandecent lighting and no energy smart appliances. How long would it take to get half charge at that eco hub station in etown for those ev,s and what is the rate, i saw a guy there the other day he must have been there for 30-45 mins, just curious?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right, i know in the summer it was hovering around 19c. 1 would surely think with all the Eco smart lights, appliances, etc.. that are currently used the grid would not be as hindered though as compared to earlier years with incandecent lighting and no energy smart appliances. How long would it take to get half charge at that eco hub station in etown for those ev,s and what is the rate, i saw a guy there the other day he must have been there for 30-45 mins, just curious?

I wasn’t watching the power bills close enough this summer and noticed on our one 60hp pump that runs almost 24/7 we were paying 34 cents per kWh. I locked everything in at 10.8 cents now.

If you’re in Alberta definitely check this site out…

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The stats that people are not reporting are the household KWH usage after a EV is added.

I was chatting with a guy from AB who recently bought a Ford lightning, his monthly electric bills are roughly 2500-3000kwh per month now, which is double his normal usage prior to buying a EV.
At my household usage, he is consuming 5 months of my usage in one month.
Some quick math with the numbers, My wife and I do not spend that in gas per month.

With those numbers he concerned about where all the extra power is going to come from, glad to see someone show some common sense and not defend his decision on buying a EV.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The stats that people are not reporting are the household KWH usage after a EV is added.

I was chatting with a guy from AB who recently bought a Ford lightning, his monthly electric bills are roughly 2500-3000kwh per month now, which is double his normal usage prior to buying a EV.
At my household usage, he is consuming 5 months of my usage in one month.
Some quick math with the numbers, My wife and I do not spend that in gas per month.

With those numbers he concerned about where all the extra power is going to come from, glad to see someone show some common sense and not defend his decision on buying a EV.

Now add in the liters of gasoline you used multiplied by 8.9 to get your vehicle energy in kWh.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now add in the liters of gasoline you used multiplied by 8.9 to get your vehicle energy in kWh.

So one round trip to work,(400km)for me would be approximately equivalent to a months of power consumption I my house. On average my house uses 6-700kwh, maybe 800 with the AC in the summer.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because this needs to be clarified, 1 liter of gasoline is equal to 8.9kwh of electricity if the devices utilizing the energy are the same efficiency. This is where the ICE vs EV equation diverges. A good gasoline engine converts about 25% of the energy in a liter of gasoline to mechanical energy to move the vehicle. A good diesel engine is 30% a really good one is 35% efficient (talking passenger vehicle engines here, not industrial engines built to run at a specific speed and load).

An EV is about 75 to 85% efficient at converting electricity to mechanical energy. With an EV you go 3 times further on the same amount of energy.

To use the above example, an F150 lightning is rated at 0.317 kwh/km on the city/highway combined. So a 400km round trip would use about 127kwh, or the equivalent of 14.25 liters of gasoline. And cost $44.50 at 35 cents/kwh.

If a gasoline F150 is rated at 11.8 L/100km combined it would burn 47.2 Liters in the same 400km, at $1.25/liter would cost $59.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn’t watching the power bills close enough this summer and noticed on our one 60hp pump that runs almost 24/7 we were paying 34 cents per kWh. I locked everything in at 10.8 cents now.

If you’re in Alberta definitely check this site out…

That is quite the site and retailers, will have to go over this with the other half and possibly make a switch in the new year to a fixed rate plan.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because this needs to be clarified, 1 liter of gasoline is equal to 8.9kwh of electricity if the devices utilizing the energy are the same efficiency. This is where the ICE vs EV equation diverges. A good gasoline engine converts about 25% of the energy in a liter of gasoline to mechanical energy to move the vehicle. A good diesel engine is 30% a really good one is 35% efficient (talking passenger vehicle engines here, not industrial engines built to run at a specific speed and load).

An EV is about 75 to 85% efficient at converting electricity to mechanical energy. With an EV you go 3 times further on the same amount of energy.

To use the above example, an F150 lightning is rated at 0.317 kwh/km on the city/highway combined. So a 400km round trip would use about 127kwh, or the equivalent of 14.25 liters of gasoline. And cost $44.50 at 35 cents/kwh.

If a gasoline F150 is rated at 11.8 L/100km combined it would burn 47.2 Liters in the same 400km, at $1.25/liter would cost $59.
Nice breakdown smarty lol! Simple economics tells me that if 30 peeps in my hood had EV,s the grid would not handle the demand period. Not mention EV,s are only good to commute as a daily driver and not for some of us that go into the back country as we would be fooked, let alone finding something that can haul all the toys/chit. Just my 002:)

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice breakdown smarty lol! Simple economics tells me that if 30 peeps in my hood had EV,s the grid would not handle the demand period. Not mention EV,s are only good to commute as a daily driver and not for some of us that go into the back country as we would be fooked, let alone finding something that can haul all the toys/chit. Just my 002:)

Varies by neighborhood, some could handle it, many can't. That's why BC hydro wants "networked" EV chargers installed in peoples homes, so they can remotely throttle the rate of charging on everyone's EV chargers to prevent them from overloading the grid or portions of the grid. I'm sure you can imagine how many feel about that. Look at the comments on here, Alberta has a grid energy alert asking people to conserve power and what are the comments? "I went to my AC and cranked it to max, and turned on every light in the house".

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do those Lightning F150’s go 400km on a charge?
That’s not what you here in the media.

They are rated by the EPA to 500km on the highway. The online forums are showing 350km to 500km range from real world owners, varying from lots of stop and go city use to flat out on the highway, these are truck empty numbers though. Towing cuts that considerably.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Varies by neighborhood, some could handle it, many can't. That's why BC hydro wants "networked" EV chargers installed in peoples homes, so they can remotely throttle the rate of charging on everyone's EV chargers to prevent them from overloading the grid or portions of the grid. I'm sure you can imagine how many feel about that. Look at the comments on here, Alberta has a grid energy alert asking people to conserve power and what are the comments? "I went to my AC and cranked it to max, and turned on every light in the house".
Can't imagine what those 37 passenger paper weights the COE soaked the taxpayer for would need for charging, never seen 1 of those pos on the road when it hits -7 either, but i am pretty sure they would need considerable amount of juice not to mention how heavy they are.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turtle lake to saskatoon is roughly 250km ford lightning fighting a wind towing a 4500 pound wake boat in the summer had to stop
In north battleford to get a charge as he did not think he could of made it to saskatoon. That would be very frustrating to me if i bought a truck and couldnt use it as one paper weight in my opinion.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turtle lake to saskatoon is roughly 250km ford lightning fighting a wind towing a 4500 pound wake boat in the summer had to stop
In north battleford to get a charge as he did not think he could of made it to saskatoon. That would be very frustrating to me if i bought a truck and couldnt use it as one paper weight in my opinion.
I would like to hear what some of these EV owners are having to endure for wait times at reg charge stations? Bet that is not enjoyable, but would like to hear more.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_8061.jpg

Sure wouldn’t want to rely on green energy for my electric heat or electric car this week. Reservoirs are not filling fast. All the hydro , solar and wind generators ain’t producing squat.These politicians should be forced to only use what they are asking for. . Natural gas seems to work fine for us.

Top Bottom