BC Floods & Restorations (formerly, Prayers needed)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
re: BC Floods & Restorations (formerly, Prayers needed)

Yes, the lower mainland media will have total full coverage of that for days. Funny how that works with the masses. The smaller places get smaller snippets of time. Sicamous had decent coverage, not great but decent, Valemount wasn't even mentioned, nary a picture on the evening Vancouver news.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes, the lower mainland media will have total full coverage of that for days. Funny how that works with the masses. The smaller places get smaller snippets of time. Sicamous had decent coverage, not great but decent, Valemount wasn't even mentioned, nary a picture on the evening Vancouver news.

You mean to say there is parts of BC that aren't in the lower mainland?

HOLD THE PHONE!

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We tend to listen to Calgary a lot more than Vancouver. Just seems to make a little more sense in this corner of the province.

This is true. Running a business in this corner of the province gets really expensive as well. Shipping costs can be outrageous.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

This is true. Running a business in this corner of the province gets really expensive as well. Shipping costs can be outrageous.

Yes, that is true. When I have to drive 35 km minimum for any material and normally 70 km cause Sparwood invariably will be short or out of what I need it really adds up. Customer pays for gas, time, and whatever the extra cost is.

Then they wonder why building in Elkford is so expensive???

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

u mean on yer side of the hump u listn to Calgary crap

Ya', as I'm usually in that fine province at least once a week and sometimes more! I don't call it crap tho' as I have respect for my fine eastern neighbours!

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As of last night the creeks are not flooding but both Mara lake and the Shuswap are expected to rise at least another 6" in the next day so all waterfront homes and business are still In danger. Many along the river in grinrod are sandbagging as well.
There is a speed limit on these lakes so you don't makes waves or push debris into the sandbagging efforts.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

As of last night the creeks are not flooding but both Mara lake and the Shuswap are expected to rise at least another 6" in the next day so all waterfront homes and business are still In danger. Many along the river in grinrod are sandbagging as well.
There is a speed limit on these lakes so you don't makes waves or push debris into the sandbagging efforts.

Hope it starts dropin soon lost 1/3 of the campground, all the lake front site are just lake now down Salmon Arm way..

Last edited by a moderator:

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

here is an update i just spoke with my dad and they are letting people back in without major ID there are flag people at the entrace. you can ONLY get into swasea point from the grinrod side. so if you come hw1 you can not go hwy 97a as it is still out at 2 mile and they have not even been able to move equipment to that location yet.

if traveling in between 2mile and 6mile travle with care as there are large truck and equipment working on the hwys along side the flag workers.

this is GREAt news i cant wait to get to my folks and help with the massive understanking of clean up and rebuilding...summer here i come!

Last edited:

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

At 2 am this morning our firemen were awaken from only a few hours sleep to fight a fire in the trailer park. After working for days helping people at 6 mile, they summoned the courage and strength, dawned their gear and in 1 1/2 hours had this dangerous fire under control. In 2 1/2 hours they were just mopping up. There was no lose of life and no injuries. Our men and women firefights are amazing and deserve our love and care. Most of them worked all day yesterday, 2 in bobcats while the other did manual labor and they helped many many people get the houses pumped out and their driveways opened. Pray for them today as they will be very tired and most/all of them are over 60 with many of them over 70 yrs of age. the 2nd last pic is my dad on the truck:)

i am leaving hopefuly saturday monring alone but will be filling my truck up with supplies for the people that are need, as long as the roads stay open i am on my way!

Attachments

• DSC_4555 (2).jpg
    DSC_4555 (2).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 395
  • DSC_4557 (2).jpg
    DSC_4557 (2).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC_4568 (2).jpg
    DSC_4568 (2).jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 396
  • DSC_4584 (2).jpg
    DSC_4584 (2).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 387
  • DSC_4612 (2).jpg
    DSC_4612 (2).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 388
  • DSC_4686 (2).jpg
    DSC_4686 (2).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 387

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

IMG_20120625_205016.jpg Salmon Arm end IMG_20120625_203222.jpg IMG_20120625_203226.jpg The stairs leading to the beach, The storage sheds that are starting to float. These pics were taken 2 days ago and the water level was an inch under the erosion wall. Some were saying the lake will still rise another 3 to 4 inches lets hope not.

Last edited:

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

More insult to injury. Right Corrisa?

yes totally! i am leaving on Saturday they are letting us in so i am taking my truck full of whatever my folks say the people need there. these guys are all volunteer's working around the clock to get this area back up and somewhat running for everyone. but with time this too shall pass!

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

here are todays photos from my mom. this is of 6 mile swansea point these are the lake front homes they are expecting rian today and the lake to rise a bit more then they are hoping that will be the end of it and the waters will subside!

Attachments

• DSC_4777 (2).jpg
    DSC_4777 (2).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 343
  • DSC_4778 (2).jpg
    DSC_4778 (2).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 343
  • DSC_4779 (2).jpg
    DSC_4779 (2).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 350
  • DSC_4781 (2).jpg
    DSC_4781 (2).jpg