basement sump pumps

gasman

Reaction score
hey I was curious to know what other drain options there are. mine and my neighbors hook together with 2" pvc pipe and drain between the houses to the curb. the problem is the pipe keeps rising on top of the rocks, even with anchors and it looks like crap. I seen on my friends newer house that his just drained into a pipe going straight into the ground, I didn't ask if was hooked into the storm drain or what. do they do it differently now on new houses? thanks

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My new house the builder just laid the hose on top of the ground. I have it buried to the front curb for the summer. In the winter I just leave the line laying on top of the ground. Mine Has not lifted yet but has only been 1 summer.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey I was curious to know what other drain options there are. mine and my neighbors hook together with 2" pvc pipe and drain between the houses to the curb. the problem is the pipe keeps rising on top of the rocks, even with anchors and it looks like crap. I seen on my friends newer house that his just drained into a pipe going straight into the ground, I didn't ask if was hooked into the storm drain or what. do they do it differently now on new houses? thanks

new homes now con right into the storm drain....most area have the "lakes" but are really holding ponds for the storms drains too empty into, theyll hold the water until the pump station catch up then theyll pull from the lake to maintain levels

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i build houses in BC, but here we are not allowed to tie into the storm drain for the weeping tile and gutter drains. we dont typically have sump pumps here either. but for our weeping tile and gutter drains whoch also run around the foundation, they both tie into their own drain pit in the back yards, 1Mx1M pit of drain rock. that could be the case of where the pipe that goes underground.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sump pump hose drains out under my deck..... lots of grade. I'm on an acerage so I have alot of freedom........... I just realized that my post has no good information for you to draw from.... sorry.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is not much you can do. Some people with this system are changing it and hooking it into drains inside the house. Not allowed, but it should be. It was only a few years where they got stupid and did this. It's also a bad liability you see so many icy sidewalks all winter from it.

Not going to say you should, but if it was my house I would. It just goes into the storm drains anyways if your putting the pipe to the sidewalk. And if it's just onto your lawn, a lot of it's draining back into your weeping tile to be pumped out again.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is not much you can do. Some people with this system are changing it and hooking it into drains inside the house. Not allowed, but it should be. It was only a few years where they got stupid and did this. It's also a bad liability you see so many icy sidewalks all winter from it.

Not going to say you should, but if it was my house I would. It just goes into the storm drains anyways if your putting the pipe to the sidewalk. And if it's just onto your lawn, a lot of it's draining back into your weeping tile to be pumped out again.

Exactly that. I run mine to the sidewalk in the summer to keep it away from the house. It then goes down the storm drain. They don't want it into the sewer system. They build storm retention ponds to hold the water from the roads and sump pumps. Most of the sidewalks along my street get icy or are always wet from it.

gasman

Reaction score
thanks for the info, I wish I could tie into my house but because of the sump location it is not doable. oh well I have a real good grade so I might just keep the pipe from the house and cut it off half down the garage pad. At least it will get the drain away from the houses and toward the street. On another note does anyone know anybody who has replaced their chain link fence in their yard with vinyl or treated wood? I have chain on 3 sides and I would like to replace it, mostly cuz my one neighbor is a dick but also want more privacy. I was thinking there has to be a way to use the existing cemented in posts, they are about 9' apart so I would have to custom build the fence to fit. thanks

maxandvin

Reaction score
When a new subdivision is being designed, the developers are required to have a storm water management plan. Some lots are designated surface drainage, while others are required to have storm water leaders. Storm water leaders are plumbed right into the sewer system in the area and the sump pumps are Connected to them. They are designed this way to ensure that the storm water sewers are not overwhelmed in the event of a flash flood or heavy sustained rains.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When they changed out all the water meters in our town, they used the opportunity to charge people who had their sumps tied into the sewer inside the house as it's illegal here. Guy come by my place a week after the meter was changed, hands me a ticket and tells me to have it changed....I asked him how he figured I was tied into the sewer? "Well, you don't have your hose running outside anywhere". I informed him that this is because I DON'T HAVE A FOCKIN SUMP PUMP. Walk-out basement on the tallest lot on the street...pretty hard to build hydrostatic pressure around my basement. I helped design the subdivision where I live and actually surveyed all the underground and roads about 15 years ago....I KNOW where the water was/is. I laugh because the area behind me was always intended to be green area....it was too wet. The town in it's infinite wisdom hired a new engineering firm a few years ago....they bladed it flat....moved a meter or so of clay in there...then developed and built high-end houses. My drywaller buddy says every house on the street has wet basement and the houses keep settling. He's quit giving "warranty" for cracks in the drywall. About 1/2 the houses are for sale right now. LOL.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
thanks for the info, I wish I could tie into my house but because of the sump location it is not doable. oh well I have a real good grade so I might just keep the pipe from the house and cut it off half down the garage pad. At least it will get the drain away from the houses and toward the street. On another note does anyone know anybody who has replaced their chain link fence in their yard with vinyl or treated wood? I have chain on 3 sides and I would like to replace it, mostly cuz my one neighbor is a dick but also want more privacy. I was thinking there has to be a way to use the existing cemented in posts, they are about 9' apart so I would have to custom build the fence to fit. thanks

My neighbor has aluminum posts concreted into the ground then he took 4 2x6's and made a squre box around and took a top plate and bottom plate drilled hole for the pipe so it looks like he has 6x6 posts then you don't have to worry about the post rotting underground and getting wobbly if I ever have to redo my fence this is the way I will go

gasman

Reaction score
thats a good idea, do you know how far apart his posts were? what did use between the posts to make the fence? any pics or other info would be greatly appreciated

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
thats a good idea, do you know how far apart his posts were? what did use between the posts to make the fence? any pics or other info would be greatly appreciated

They look to be about 8' apart it looks alot like this fence except with decorative post caps

Here is a pic of a fence with aluminium posts

how-to-build-a-wooden-fence-3.jpg

Top Bottom