Base layers

Nonhighwayservice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you all using? What works best? Been leaning towards under armour. Sweat pants and a tshirt and hoodie aren't cutting it.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the base layer stuff that marks work wearhouse sells. Really happy with it. I hated my underarmor. It always felt really cold. Was wierd. And then the lighter motorfist mid layer. Im not overly impressed with it. It really stinks. Like after one ride smells like 3 year old hockey equipment. Next stuff will be the Klim.

matm8snopro

Reaction score
I also you the base layer mark work warehouse sells, got 2 sets. They work well. Then a fleece layer.

Nonhighwayservice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Sounds like marks is the place to go, probably quite a bit cheaper than klim, under armour, etc.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Ice Breaker and Helly Hansen base and mid layers. Both products are fantastic and are readily available. Very warm and moisture wicking. I wont buy anything else.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think nowadays there are a tonne of great products available for good prices. No need to buy the brand name stuff in my opinion. Forgot about the Costco stuff. Great stuff and so reasonable.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes cotton is rotten, stay away from it. I wear old running clothes. Also keep in mind when you wash these wicking clothes the detergent and dryer sheets can wreck their performance. Mostly the dryer sheets do, puts a coating on the clothing and stops them from wicking.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes cotton is rotten, stay away from it. I wear old running clothes. Also keep in mind when you wash these wicking clothes the detergent and dryer sheets can wreck their performance. Mostly the dryer sheets do, puts a coating on the clothing and stops them from wicking.
Ding ding ding. Don't ever put moisture wicking clothing in with dryer sheets, it does block their ability to wick moisture away from your body. I always hang dry mine. Good call Highfly.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good info on the dryer sheets, never heard that before. You don't need to spend big money for the brand name stuff, even Walmart has a line of base layer clothing, that works fine.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ha haaa Awesome!
I wear the baselayer from Motorfist, or Polaris that is in essence the same fabric. The cocona fabric is wicking and anti microbial (reduces the stink) I super love the cocona stuf. Odor management is one of the benefits.. so basically you don't have to wait for the stink to get to your midlayer before you try to control it.
Many companies use Cocona for that very reason. Here is a link to their site:

The Cocona Patented Technology permanently incorporates natural active particles that have micro porous structures, into fibers, fabrics, polymers, and films. These active particles have been tested by industry standards and have been found to enhance the performance of fabrics by 30 to 50%. The benefit of Cocona® technology includes: increased breathability, Dry Times, UV protection and Odor management
Knitillust2-293x300.png

My midlayer has always been the Hydrophobic fleece from Motorist for riding. We have the heavier Turnagin pass, and the teton fleece.. but it's totally too hot for us to ride in here. My kids like it if they are riding with me.

Ya.. !!! don't wear Cotton!!!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to say I am really blessed to have industry support like I do. Each season, I participate in gear testing with Motorfist, helping them get some real world experience about the gear. I rode in the contessa line up in the spring.. things like.. how the crotch feels for a woman in her pants is very different than the experience of a dude. I know.. shocking.. we have different crotches.
I'm able to pass my gear along to my children. We purchase gear for all of us as well, and carefully budget wise choose gear for them. Quality gear comes on sale, so we purchased Brookie and Tatum's base layers when they went on sale and Leo's boots on sale. the sled show is wicked for deals, as is the non current stock at your local dealer. I worked at a Dealership, and quite often, if a customer was purchasing a volume I would give them a break. It is nice to have good quality gear.

That being said it is also nice to support those who support our sport, and the efforts of clubs and organizations. Many of the products that provide wicking, may not be from manufacturers who want our sport to thrive... oh... the dreaded greenies... lol.
Motorfist recently helped spread the word about supporting Local clubs in our area. Partnering with the ABCsnow... a strong message went out pertaining to support those who maintain your ride areas.
Snowmobiling companies offer club support, support of the CAC and genuinely care if our sport thrives.. just food for thought.

Last edited:

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had good luck with some Arctiva stuff last year. FXR socks were AWESOME too.

that being said, Motorfist warranty is awesome.

Top Bottom