Avy Backpacks...Which One??

sledwrek

Reaction score
I think its finally time to purchase this piece of equipment after seeing an avy let loose last weekend, and hearing about the yesterdays tragedy. Not a big fan of how much they weigh, but the snowpulse ones look smaller and lighter. Opinions? Comments?

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was torn between the snowpulse and the abs.

Snowpulse pros for me was comfort and layout of pack and in a situation it is possible to use the air from your pack to breathe if you are burried

Abs pros nitrogen filled means weather should have no effect on getting full inflation and also has two separate bags that fill so If one is punctured you still have the other. But saying that when I met with the abs rep he said you need a certain volume of inflation to stay on the surface and I don't think one side is enough.

After weighing pros and cons I went with the snow pulse! Couldn't be happier

dbar7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was torn between the abs vario and the snowpulse.. i tried both them on and the abs was more comfortable the snowpulse straps were to big which made it uncomfortable on me.. i like the vario because you can get different packs for it. I would really recommend the abs you wont be disappointed

AlbertaSummit

Reaction score
I picked up both a snowpulse highmark 15L and 30L covers and. Prorider 15L. Im happy with my purchase and the fact it uses air not expensive nitrogen incase of accidental deployment. Wore a ABS vario 30L for a weekend of riding. Liked the pack. Dont like the nitrogen

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
I've got the BCA 30L... my only complaint is that it's relatively heavy. Strapped my old pack to the tunnel and keep almost everything in there. Uses air, so it's a $5 refill if you deploy it (by accident, or to test it).
After hearing about those 3 sledders this weekend, I'm glad I have it, heavy or not! Condolences to the families.

Stewd

Reaction score
I have both an ABS and a snowpulse, I personally prefer to wear the snowpulse from a comfort, weight, ease of refill, protection to your head, and the possibility of having breathable air. I keep the ABS as a spare for anybody that is riding with me and doesn't have one. In my opinion it is as important as a beacon.

vic

Reaction score
Snowpulse for last 3 years no issues yet.Just pretrip check the gauge make sure it's full.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BCA Float 30. I was on a budget -snowpulse and abs weren't gonna happen. No complaints. Bit heavy but once you do up all the straps it is pretty comfy.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BCA Float 30. I was on a budget -snowpulse and abs weren't gonna happen. No complaints. Bit heavy but once you do up all the straps it is pretty comfy.[/QUOTEI\

I went with the Float 30 as well, only because it fit the best for me and was the most comfortable. I probably wouldn't have worn any of the others past the first ride, after the float 30 is on I hardly notice it's there.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My hubby and I both went with the Float 30....biggest factor for us was price....when you have to buy everything X2, and we got really good deals from the states on ours so 2 BCA 30's were the price of 1 ABS or Snowpulse pack.

Love the bag so far, it is heavy, but once cinched down and all the compression straps are tight, I hardly notice the weight over my old Ogio bag. It has lots of room, and the goggle pocket is awesome!! There was some issues some bags were having with how much force it takes to deploy the airbag, but BCA has come out with an upgrade kit for that problem. You can check out the S & M avalanche thread on the BCA Float 30 pack to find out more info, or go directly to the BCA website.

If you are looking into a BCA pack and are worried about weight, they are coming out with an 18L pack for next season. Saw some pics of it, and it looks SWEET.

Whatever bag you chose, I don't think you can ever go wrong with any of them. A little extra assurance in case the inevitable happens is priceless.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BCA Float 30. I was on a budget -snowpulse and abs weren't gonna happen. No complaints. Bit heavy but once you do up all the straps it is pretty comfy.

x2, plus refills aren't an issue (free for me :) ).

Thanks for the upgrade info Snoqueen, there was a group of us that bought these at the sled show this year. Have to look into the upgrade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom