avi beacon

trailblazer

Reaction score
do all beacons work well with each other,are there any that may or have interfeared with another,are analog or digital better?Been told that the Otrovox f1 focus is great but not as easy to use as the digial but more reliable when a multiple search is happening.What's everyone else using.along with the usual avi gear,an air bag is a must as previous post states.10-15000 for a sled,1500 for gear and a course(not even a question,like Tiger say's"just do it")

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of good ones on the market now. digitals are super easy to use, i like my tracker from BCA, one in our group uses the peips and i think i would buy one of those if i needed a new one. for my $0.02 i would get a digital.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all the beacons will work together, they use the 457hz frequency. cell phones, radios etc can and will interfere with their signal. digital beacons are the way to go for anyone needing a new beacon. the analogs still work and will work well although you will need experience and practice. seems like all the beacons can have there own working problems. practice and using before needed in an avi is a must. the 3 min show/training is not enough.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
all the beacons will work together, they use the 457hz frequency. cell phones, radios etc can and will interfere with their signal. digital beacons are the way to go for anyone needing a new beacon. the analogs still work and will work well although you will need experience and practice. seems like all the beacons can have there own working problems. practice and using before needed in an avi is a must. the 3 min show/training is not enough.

Agreed!

I use a BCA Tracker and can find multiple burials with no problem but the peeps digital is the way I'd go next time. It's about $100 more but well worth it and also reads a longer range than many others. Not that I support Mountain Equipment at all, but that is the cheapest place to buy one if your looking. Whichever you decide on, be sure to practice using it as stated above. As for Avy bags, I bought the snow pulse and it's real decent, but have never had to use it, which is a good thing.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed!

I use a BCA Tracker and can find multiple burials with no problem but the peeps digital is the way I'd go next time. It's about $100 more but well worth it and also reads a longer range than many others. Not that I support Mountain Equipment at all, but that is the cheapest place to buy one if your looking. Whichever you decide on, be sure to practice using it as stated above. As for Avy bags, I bought the snow pulse and it's real decent, but have never had to use it, which is a good thing.

MEC charges over 500.00 I am selling the Pieps for 429.00 including freight. Probably sell more Pieps to sledders than anyone else. Definitely the best beacon on the market.

Top Bottom