asbestos removal

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok - have watched enough Holmes on Holmes to know the proper way to remove asbestos in a home but what if you only have a little bit to remove?

I have this 1930 house that has an asbestos collar where a single walled hot water tank flue passes from the crawl space through the floor and then again through the ceiling. The asbestos is maybe 12 inches in height and enough width to wrap the pipe. There is one paper piece where it goes through the floor and one through the ceiling. Ideally I would just leave it but I want to box in this unsighlty pipe so I have to replace with a double walled pipe which means removing the asbestos before taking out the old pipe........if i simply soak the asbestos paper before removing and wear a mask can I avoid calling in the abatement crew???? I don't want to make light of this but it is a very small amount.

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haggis, I am a contractor and I find that sort of situation often in those old homes, soak the insulation good and take it down trying to make as little dust as possible, go slow if your not sure. Of course wear the mask(cannister type is best) place it in plastic bags and dispose of it properly. If you have to poly off the area while you remove the insulation. Good luck

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
small job pretty straight forward... biggest concern is your own safety. Water is your freind, wetter water (encapsulent) is better, not sure where to get it but I'm sure Acklands could point you in the right direction.
get a pair of white disposable coveralls and a 1/2 mask respirator with P100 hepa filters, wet down the asbestos, remove any furniture ect. from the area and as stated above bag and dispose of properly.

Helpful link.

Prep Work For Removing Asbestos - Asbestos-Abatement.com

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok - have watched enough Holmes on Holmes to know the proper way to remove asbestos in a home but what if you only have a little bit to remove?

I have this 1930 house that has an asbestos collar where a single walled hot water tank flue passes from the crawl space through the floor and then again through the ceiling. The asbestos is maybe 12 inches in height and enough width to wrap the pipe. There is one paper piece where it goes through the floor and one through the ceiling. Ideally I would just leave it but I want to box in this unsighlty pipe so I have to replace with a double walled pipe which means removing the asbestos before taking out the old pipe........if i simply soak the asbestos paper before removing and wear a mask can I avoid calling in the abatement crew???? I don't want to make light of this but it is a very small amount.

Alberta has an asbestos abatement manual that can help you figure out what you need to do. There's a copy of it in my office but that won't help you. You can download it off the internet, google it. Let me know if you need more information. What the guys above have said is pretty standard practice. Be mindful there are several different types of asbestos and this bumps the danger rating (chrysotile, amphibole, actinolite, etc). The asbestos abatement manual can help you figure out which one you might have and appropriate safety steps.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a contact for asbestos abatement. I believe there is zonolite in the attic.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
You can contact my friend Avery at DF Technical in Edmonton. He can help you,let him know I (ron) directed you there.

We are an abatement contractor in Mould Restoration and Asbestos Removal, the biggest risk is you and your family's health, when removing something like this. If its simply a VA floor tile, a surfactant, (Soap and water) can be used to remove it but you must wear a RESPIRATOR not a dust mask.

PM me and I'll give you Avery's cell, he's a member on this site as well.

Here is some of the best info you can get.

Asbestos | CMHC

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found some heat ducts that were wraped in asbestos in my old house. I had some old tubes of grease from the Rig, so I just covered it all with that and dawned all the right PPE and removed it carefully.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would get some glue to put in the water to make it sticky. i would then get a clear garbage bag to put around the pipe. cut some holes in the bag for your hands and then remove the asbestos. get your self a white tyvec suit and a respirator. not just a dust mask.

Top Bottom