As the gap narrows between the two...

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the release of the MTN viper this year dropping dreaded weight of a 4 stroke, and guys seeming to have 2 stroke turbos figured out making them OEM reliable, will the battles always rage on??

Im just curious what, if any are the legitimate concerns both camps have regarding the other.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would still love to see a factory turbo 2 stroke with warrenty and reliable 200hp

So for what reason?? I hear lots say that, but why??

I shared your thought. For me, its been for a few reasons.
Weight, and running a 4s upside down.
The weight is almost fixed.

geo

Reaction score
Depends if you think 80 lbs is close enough, or 60lbsis close enough, or 40 lbs is close enough, or if you've had anything light to begin with.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
simple lighter ( atleast for now) and HP at elivation

Also i can easly fix a 2 stroke so less pricy bills when something bad does happen

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ridden the proclimb (read viper) chassis and I still don't think it's there compared to the Pro and XM. Better riders than me struggle to keep up in the types of riding I enjoy. I think it's great the gap is closing and I would love to try a turbo viper out but I think it's still too far a gap in handling and ease of manoeuvrability. Especially when you consider the cost of adding a turbo. A low boost turbo is needed just to make it competitive with a two stroke and they don't truly shine until you add a substantially more expensive option for bigger power. Really by the time you put a can on your 2t and a turbo on the 4t the weight differential is still fairly significant.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ridden the proclimb (read viper) chassis and I still don't think it's there compared to the Pro and XM. Better riders than me struggle to keep up in the types of riding I enjoy. I think it's great the gap is closing and I would love to try a turbo viper out but I think it's still too far a gap in handling and ease of manoeuvrability. Especially when you consider the cost of adding a turbo. A low boost turbo is needed just to make it competitive with a two stroke and they don't truly shine until you add a substantially more expensive option for bigger power. Really by the time you put a can on your 2t and a turbo on the 4t the weight differential is still fairly significant.

I think it's where the weight is located that's the problem for most (front). Any guy I've ever watched burn around on a 4s it's fairly evident that is the issue. But hard to overcome since that's where the extra weight needs to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

chemmod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the release of the MTN viper this year dropping dreaded weight of a 4 stroke, and guys seeming to have 2 stroke turbos figured out making them OEM reliable, will the battles always rage on??

Im just curious what, if any are the legitimate concerns both camps have regarding the other.

Reliable two stroke turbo?? On what planet? I guess it depends on what your definition of reliable is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reliable two stroke turbo?? On what planet? I guess it depends on what your definition of reliable is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say as reliable as stock machines. My 2s turbo experience is very limited, but have been around a few machines that were stock that needed to be towed home too.

It seems though its the weight issue that is what keeps some off the 4s.

So is it the felt weight when riding that guys don't like, or the fear of getting stuck??

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well sorry to say I rode in 4+ feet of powder on the weekend and pulled on more 2smoke skis than 4stroke turbos. Yes we pulled on both and if you are smart with the 4 stroke when you know you are going to be stuck don't tape the throttle to the bar and look for traction in china. Quit right away and it takes a lot less to get unstuck!!! Smart riding is a lot less work.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love my 2 stroke. When I get stuck it loves being upside down and rolled over. It almost craves it... the 4 strokes I've rode with, heavy and puke oil all over themselves if rolled. Makes getting unstuck a lot harder sometime without the easy "fawk it, lets roll it".

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say as reliable as stock machines. My 2s turbo experience is very limited, but have been around a few machines that were stock that needed to be towed home too.

It seems though its the weight issue that is what keeps some off the 4s.

So is it the felt weight when riding that guys don't like, or the fear of getting stuck??

Speaking as a guy with over 4000 km on his 2 stroke turbo I'd say they are reliable :)

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even difference in weight between PRO and XM is quite noticeable. was digging out both of them last weekend. 4-stroke turbo, probably .....NO
Even 30kg in weigh makes a lot of difference, if you dont belive, try pulling sled with empty tank and with a full tank. Every kg counts

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Even difference in weight between PRO and XM is quite noticeable. was digging out both of them last weekend. 4-stroke turbo, probably .....NO
Even 30kg in weigh makes a lot of difference, if you dont belive, try pulling sled with empty tank and with a full tank. Every kg counts

Yeah this one looks pretty "light"......lmao

Attachments

• IMG_1868.JPG
    IMG_1868.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 213

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd have that sled rolled over and carving out of that in two min easy.. thats hardly even stuck lol

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been mountain riding 20 yrs and I still suck.....like compared to Climbmax and some of the movie dudes....

Here's the thing, I was/am ready to give it up. Sick of the BS, sick of the drive, sick of fighting for hotel rooms with dope-smokin hippies who don't spend a dime in the town they stay in, sick of the government area grab, sick of the false caribou closures, sick of the AB vs BC crap and sick of losing friends to avalanches. But last year I tried something new to me: a horrendously overpowered, overmodified T-Nytro than I really have no need for. And guess what? I love sledding again! As Moyiesledhead said,
I personally don't get the point of ducking tree branches while you're pushing yourself ahead with one foot all friggin' day and smearing bark all over your sled.

HELLO?! BINGO?!

My pard Kibbles still likes to dangle it out and climb with the kids....and I am cool to sit and watch him. I just loooove the ease at getting to the places where these guys do their thang when riding something with horsepower and cushy suspension. Unless DooDoo releases something really effin cool this year, I WILL be riding a Viper 174 with 200+++ HP next year....

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been mountain riding 20 yrs and I still suck.....like compared to Climbmax and some of the movie dudes....

Here's the thing, I was/am ready to give it up. Sick of the BS, sick of the drive, sick of fighting for hotel rooms with dope-smokin hippies who don't spend a dime in the town they stay in, sick of the government area grab, sick of the false caribou closures, sick of the AB vs BC crap and sick of losing friends to avalanches. But last year I tried something new to me: a horrendously overpowered, overmodified T-Nytro than I really have no need for. And guess what? I love sledding again! As Moyiesledhead said,

HELLO?! BINGO?!

My pard Kibbles still likes to dangle it out and climb with the kids....and I am cool to sit and watch him. I just loooove the ease at getting to the places where these guys do their thang when riding something with horsepower and cushy suspension. Unless DooDoo releases something really effin cool this year, I WILL be riding a Viper 174 with 200+++ HP next year....
Great post. I went from a doo 1200 to a xm this year. The xm is a nice machine that has probably taken me more places in technical spots than my 1200 could. But the 4tec was more fun to ride. Isn't that what this whole thing is about? Doesn't matter what you ride as long as you come home with a smile on your face.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is something that might spark some interest.
A buddy i know that lives in the Okanagan and is attached job wise to Yamaha corp. in an important place told me in conversation. (This is not a secret as he told me in a casual conversation and for now can be concidered speculation.) Anyhow told me that Yamaha has been for the last almost 3season's in developement of a serious mountian sled.
It was held back from a limited 2014 intro prodution, because Yamaha is still working out certain thing on it, plus we all know Yamaha quality is top.
At that point Yamaha felt that they needed to do something quickly since the intro of the Nytro in 08, no new mountian models have been introduced. To help them maintian their market share a merger with Cat was done.
I was told that the Viper is the transitional sled from Yamaha and not the real deal. In return Cat will get the rights to the 1049cc Nytro motor.
So from what i understood and was told, look for something big for the mountian's from Yamaha in 2016.
BTW, i was also told it won't be anything like the Nytro or the Viper and possibly carry the badge of Exciter or SRV.

Top Bottom