Apex won't turn over-just clicks

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, hoping someone can help me out...went to start my apex the other day and the starter just gives you one click but does not turn over. I tried it again and it started. Then yesterday...same thing but this time it would not turn over. The sled has been outside for the past 4 days.

It is not the relay as the fuel pump does activate....battery is fully charged...??? Could it be the starter? I don't think the click comes from the starter..maybe somewhere close to it though??

Any thoughts? Thanks for any and all comments.

j_w10

Reaction score
there any corrosion at the battery termanals or loose at all. also check the connections at the starter. if thats not it it may be the siloniod on the starter.

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there any corrosion at the battery termanals or loose at all. also check the connections at the starter. if thats not it it may be the siloniod on the starter.

I don't think so as I just had the sled apart and everything looked clean....maybe the solenoid though...how do you diagnose if its the solenoid?

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you tried jump starting it?

yup...battery is full but I tried anyways...really don't think it is a battery issue or fuel pump relay.

There is a single click coming from close to the starter...i tried turning the key rapidly incase it was a flt spot on the starter or something like that. :confused:

Was heading back to the Shuswaps on Thursday...its doubtful a dealer would be able to look at it and have it back to me Thursday...I'll try phoning around tomorrow I guess. I was hoping someone would have had the same issue and told me it was an easy fix.

Should be fun getting it on to the trailer! Might be a good time to ask my brother in law nicely to use the forks on his bobcat.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Run a ground strap from motor to chassis and I would bet it will never happen again. I can't explain why, I just know it works.

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run a ground strap from motor to chassis and I would bet it will never happen again. I can't explain why, I just know it works.

Thanks, I will give it a try tonight. So you think once I hook up this ground wire, it will just fire up?

NM

Reaction score
Thanks, I will give it a try tonight. So you think once I hook up this ground wire, it will just fire up?
I would say yes it will. We had to do this to every Apex we have built. Just run a jumper from motor to delta box and give it a try. It's quick and easy and will answer the question.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will add one tidbit to this - don't try grounding to any of the valve cover bolts - that cover is isolated from the motor by gaskets and you won't get a ground out of it!

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious to hear what it is, the only starting problems I've had was the starter relay and a cold flood.

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will add one tidbit to this - don't try grounding to any of the valve cover bolts - that cover is isolated from the motor by gaskets and you won't get a ground out of it!

Tried the screw that holds the spark plug cap on but this did not work. This was the easiest one to get at without taking the sled apart. I will pick up a relay and also try a different screw on the motor....

Thanks guys!!

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well I phoned around today for starter relays and not a single dealer within 250 km had one so I was really starting o worry. TT Powersports did offer to take one off of a new Apex in their show room which was really nice.

BUT....first I tried changing the ground strap to a location on the bottom half of the motor. Found one behind the battery tray. Connected it to the Delta box and gave her a try.....

VROOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!! :d:d:d:yahoo:

I hope this is the solution and not just a coincidence....thanks everyone!!

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My heart feels like it is broken in two...:(

Went to start my sled tonight just to see and .....click...tried again and...click..

Tried a third time and it started. I kept it running and decided to take it for a spin hoping that by heating the engine area up, maybe it would help dry things out or something....not sure if the starter relay can be affected by the cold like the fuel pump relay. When I got home, I shut it off and started it 3 times with no problems and put it back in the garage.

If it was the relay, would it not work and then all of a sudden work or does it sound like it is something else like the solenoid?

Im heading back to the Shuswaps on Thursday. No local dealers had the starter relay so I'll be phoning all over Alberta tomorrow-maybe Alpine in Salmon Arm.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Intermittent problems are the worst to trouble shoot. When mine went, it went, no starting sometimes. I usually feel like taking out a hammer to get rid of the intermittent part of the problem! Break 'er all the way!

If your coming through Calgary I'd try Seitzco in Okotoks. They keep a decent supply of parts on hand for the Apex.

I keep a brand new spare, if you cannot find one I'll sell ya my spare. I'll order in a replacement.

Good Luck,

Shawn.

NM

Reaction score
to bad theres not a recoil backup ?
If you have power for the fuel injection, then you can start them off of the clutch. I have seen it done.
I have never heard of an issue with the starter relay, but I guess it makes sense. Our sleds were doing the same thing until we grounded them Motor mount to Delta box, and have never had another issue.

Top Bottom