Apex -lightweight?? How??

kpelsma

Reaction score
Ok i have an 09 apex 162" and was wondring if I turbo it etc. etc. etc. how much weight can I make it drop? Is it worth it or should I sell it and get a nytro and do the same to it?? Just was wondering before I waist all my money and still not like it. Hahaha

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi
Talk to the guys at the leduc Yamaha dealer jusy bought my 07 apex from them I love it, the young fella in the back has a 07 apex also with a supercharger on it with a lot of mods on it. I think he told me he was very close to the same weight as a nytro & with big horse power. U could just lighten the sled & stay with the stock power & out do a nytro GOOD LUCK

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can shave 35lbs without spending serious money (dump boggy wheels, drill track, drop brackets, seat, dump rad, dump p-brake).

Spending $$ on timbersled front and read sus. and light weight exhaust (under tunnel or above) will save about another 58lbs.

So 93 lbs of weight fairly easy.

I've done the some of the boggy wheels, drilled track, boss seat, and deleted the p-brake. I have not really noticed a weight difference while riding although drilling the track made me hit the rev limited more often so I believe the track is spinning easier. I noticed a track upgrade WAY more than any other change...and it added weight.

If your going to turbo...really what do you care about the weight? I'd like to think I'd notice a 93lb drop in weight but I KNOW I'd notice a 100hp increase! If you're going to spend that kind of cash better spend it on a sled you really like...

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok i have an 09 apex 162" and was wondring if I turbo it etc. etc. etc. how much weight can I make it drop? Is it worth it or should I sell it and get a nytro and do the same to it?? Just was wondering before I waist all my money and still not like it. Hahaha

ya, if you add horsepower, it changes the hp-weight ratios....of course u can shave weight off with light weight parts, but then things can start to bend or flex in the unfavorable way...

i have an 08 mtn apex - i have hauck exhaust & header (1200), rb3 programmer ( 780) and the new g-force super charger (2400) shock wave secondary, ( 400) and its gotta be runnning close to 200 hp, i have found it makes a big diff....seems like about 200 hp to me, nice balance, and still not the price of a turbo....or big supercharger.....

course that doesnt include labour and tuning....but still very impressed, was in edson last sat and put on 120 kms, used only about 3/4 tank...

it was mostly trails but i can remember following the speed limit either....:d:d

t

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apex is a great sled and is super reliable. It is probably about 50lbs heavier than a Nytro but is a much more neutral handling chassis. As far as perfomance, a turbo can get you up to 290 on pump gas but will probably set you back 10-11k by the time you have it installed, clutched, gauge etc. and you won't be too concerned about weight, lol. The new supercharger from Gforce is supposed to be around 20 extra hp, an exhaust will drop a few lbs and get you 4 or 5hp. These are real #'s that you can actually find dyno sheets for and notice. If you are happy with the power you could put a Timbersled skid under it and/or some A arms and rear drop brkts and lose about 50lbs+. Lightweight hood and seat are also good losses. You have lot's of options. I just weighed an Apex Turbo with about 1/4 tank of fuel and it was 610 so that would be about 660-670 fully wet and 290hp. The Nytros are around 50lbs lighter and 270hp modded out on pump. Nytro won't make as much hp with same mods but is lighter and more responsive. Chassis takes a little getting used to.

Last edited:

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pssssst......add more primary weight........:d:d:d

I drilled my old maverick to try out this porting thing. Worked great and so I'll drill the CE I've now got on when I get the time... gotta install the charger first!

PS I really like my apex, 5000kms on it and it just keeps getting better every season. For me it's not worth the difference to go to a nytro. The cash difference more than paid for the super charger I'm installing....I'll take a super Apex over stock nytro anytime!

Top Bottom