anyone running a 2015 doo cap on there oil tank?

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just was reading a thread on snowest and thought I'd see if any of you guys run this setup?

I am about to buy a paaso cap ($65 and on back order) but if the doo cap does the trick and its only $15 in town I can't see a reason why I wouldnt buy it

stomper

Reaction score
I'd be curious to know as well I just cant bring my card out for 65 bones especially add the exchange its like 75. Yea I know I'm a cheap skate and aint about to change at this stage in life!

ralpher

Reaction score
ordered mine. should be here in a few days
26 bucks after shipping and tax

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A $10 polaris check valve, a $2 fitting and some spare hose gets the job done! No need to install BRP parts on your polaris

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't jump on the BRP cap too fast. It may not vent as well as the Poo cap.

The Polaris cap is an issue when the sled is on its side. Well than can be %80 of the day, but when moving the ball moves around allowing air to vent. People have already said it takes more vacuum to open the Doo cap than the Poo cap. There is very little vacuum created in the reservoir to begin with so if the Doo cap requires more vacuum to open it I would be skeptical if it is better.

Why not try a cat vented cap?

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you explain a little more in depth what you did there Dan?

I am not jumping out of my seat at the idea of running BRP products, just suggesting/seeing if anyone else runs this 'fix'
You bet.
-1/4" check valve from polaris
-1/2" pipe thread to 5/16" barb fitting
-spare 1/4" hose.

I originally wanted to get a grommet and barb from polaris but the close dealers didn't have any in Stock. I melted a 1/2" hole in the top of the bottle, and threaded the fitting in. Route the hose down the same structure tube the fuel tank vent hose goes into. A smaller fitting to match the 1/4" hose would have been more ideal but the hose slipped onto the 5/16" barb no problem.

knocksum

Reaction score
Grab a screw driver pick and enlarge the bottom of the cap. It will break away the ball valve mechanism. Your cap will breath. I rolled my sled last week and it was upside down for about 20 seconds. I maybe lost one or two drips of oil. Done and free.

rmscustom

Reaction score
Some days my sled is upside down half of the day. lol
One drop every 20 seconds would be a huge mess.
I ordered 2 doo caps. Cheap enough to try.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You bet.
-1/4" check valve from polaris
-1/2" pipe thread to 5/16" barb fitting
-spare 1/4" hose.

I originally wanted to get a grommet and barb from polaris but the close dealers didn't have any in Stock. I melted a 1/2" hole in the top of the bottle, and threaded the fitting in. Route the hose down the same structure tube the fuel tank vent hose goes into. A smaller fitting to match the 1/4" hose would have been more ideal but the hose slipped onto the 5/16" barb no problem.

A foot of 1/4" would do the trick eh?
Im not quite sure what you mean by melting a hole in the bottle?

Also, how do you get the hood off? I see the shiny fastners for the side panels but nothing for the hood....ya im kinda a noob haha

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might want to get a friend who's good with mechanics to help if your unsure about taking the hood off
I got the sled last weekend and have been to depressed by the melting and lack of snow to go out and look at her lol

Im sure I could figure it out myself when I take a look, but thanks for the tip

prairie-rider800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A foot of 1/4" would do the trick eh?
Im not quite sure what you mean by melting a hole in the bottle?

Also, how do you get the hood off? I see the shiny fastners for the side panels but nothing for the hood....ya im kinda a noob haha

The hood is easy to take off. Just 2 T40 torx screws by the handlebars and a plastic clip on each side. From the exhaust side you can get at the plug in for the gauges underneath. Unplug that Then just lift up the back of the hood and slide it out of the front. When you put it back on you just need to make sure the air box goes back in place along with the plastics that hook in at the back. You'll see when you take it apart.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the problem with the stock polaris oil cap? You figure it doesn't vent enough?

It's the design. When on flat ground the ball in the cap presses on the vent tube and allows air to flow but when on edge the ball moves away from the tube to prevent leaking and then stops the flow of air.

So in theory if you spent most of your day on edge the ball wouldn't make contact with the vent tube allowing air in.

I don't have too much of a concern. I have my oil pump up a bit. The ball moves around a lot when riding. Even on edge it's going to get juggled around and hit the vent tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmscustom

Reaction score
It's the design. When on flat ground the ball in the cap presses on the vent tube and allows air to flow but when on edge the ball moves away from the tube to prevent leaking and then stops the flow of air.

So in theory if you spent most of your day on edge the ball wouldn't make contact with the vent tube allowing air in.

I don't have too much of a concern. I have my oil pump up a bit. The ball moves around a lot when riding. Even on edge it's going to get juggled around and hit the vent tube.

Don't forget when the Pro is level the cap is at about a 20 degree angle and wont vent.

prairie-rider800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks. I'm with you on that. I think when you are riding it must bounce around enough to vent. If you have your oil pump turned up you might burn a litre of oil in a whole day. At that rate I think it would take a while to build up enough vacuum to affect anything. Even if it only vented for a second every few minutes I'm sure that would be enough.

Top Bottom