Anyone live in or has lived in Langdon, AB

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are looking at a property there, unsure of the actual property as its neighboring undeveloped area is slated for community expansion.

But as far as living there, what do you like, dislike about it?

thanks

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't live out in Langdon, but for work I have had a lot of house's insul, drywall, tape etc etc.... I was also the supe overlooking the boulder golf course chalet. I have a cousin that lives there and had a couple of friends that have lived there.

So if you want to let me know roughly where your looking at, I might be able to give you some info.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy Mike throughs a pretty good pig roast and mud bog just out side of Langdon by dalemead lake. I also know there is a few liquer stores, small town life I'd guess but 15 min outa the big apple.
thought you were a Kootaney lake guy...

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the Kootenays and spend more than a little time there but employment keeps in here near the city for now. Maybe in a few more years it will be a permanent home.

Looking near the older part of town at a decent older home between 1st and 2nd Ave.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Worked at the waste water plant there, it had some issues. All the sewage from balsac to langdon is treated at the plant.
I don't think there is a storm sewer system, drainage is done by ditches and Can be a mosquito zone if a rain year.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love the Kootenays and spend more than a little time there but employment keeps in here near the city for now. Maybe in a few more years it will be a permanent home.

Looking near the older part of town at a decent older home between 1st and 2nd Ave.
Would that be over where the new shopping is?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up on the East coast. Mosquitos and black flies are a way of life. It's funny to see these city people who move to rural areas that get sprayed seasonal then one season they don't and they all cry.

The treatment area luckily is a little further East of where we are looking. I have read some of the districts plans for improvements. And the storm water system is slowly getting upgrades but yes ditches are common but not uncommon to me. Being this is an older subdivided acreage drainage would be non existent anyhow. Good points though as many people wouldn't think of that.

Yes Trashy, on the East side of the new Tim Hortons.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't know that little area was over there, until we did the "parade of garage sales" this spring. We talked with a couple of home owners there, that have been there for a while. They loved that part of town and didn't have the higher water table issues, like the newer parts of town does.
They also told us, that the future expansion has been on the books for years.......... That is all I know about that section of town.
Best of luck in your search there, as it is a nice small town.

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have friends and family living there and play in the slow pitch league out there. Seems to be mostly younger families or retired people. I grew up in a small town and Langdon is a lot like that especially if you have kids. You always see kids playing road hockey or skating at Reed lake. They have a skate park there as well which seems pretty popular. My wife would like to move out there but I don't want to commute to the city everyday for work.

Mosquitos can be bad depending on rain. Most if not all houses have sump pumps so water can be a problem. When my buddy was looking to buy we did look at a few places that had water issues in the basement in the NE part of town. He ended up buying a place on Railway just east of Tim's and he hasn't had any issues (but his sump pump does run occasionally). During heavy rain his backyard swale does fill up but nothing damaging.

Pros - Great family place especially for kids. Everyone knows everyone. Has a grocery store now. Huge lots usually 1/4 acre. Can ride quad down street and no one cares.
Cons - Mosquitos (not bad imo), water/drainage issues. Everyone knows everyone. Has no police so if something happens you will have to wait a bit.

And don't put a cactus on your doorstep or leave you garage door half open...unless you are a swinger apparently.

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy have lived there for 20 years. His insurance is high due to the amount of hail storms that roll through there. I think he's had his holiday trailer fixed like 5 times in 10 years from hail. And his house is way up there too.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have friends and family living there and play in the slow pitch league out there. Seems to be mostly younger families or retired people. I grew up in a small town and Langdon is a lot like that especially if you have kids. You always see kids playing road hockey or skating at Reed lake. They have a skate park there as well which seems pretty popular. My wife would like to move out there but I don't want to commute to the city everyday for work.

Mosquitos can be bad depending on rain. Most if not all houses have sump pumps so water can be a problem. When my buddy was looking to buy we did look at a few places that had water issues in the basement in the NE part of town. He ended up buying a place on Railway just east of Tim's and he hasn't had any issues (but his sump pump does run occasionally). During heavy rain his backyard swale does fill up but nothing damaging.

Pros - Great family place especially for kids. Everyone knows everyone. Has a grocery store now. Huge lots usually 1/4 acre. Can ride quad down street and no one cares.
Cons - Mosquitos (not bad imo), water/drainage issues. Everyone knows everyone. Has no police so if something happens you will have to wait a bit.

And don't put a cactus on your doorstep or leave you garage door half open...unless you are a swinger apparently.
Frigg, if he buys there I'll be putting cactus's out all the time for him lol

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Love it! I was going to say something but felt it was not a good idea...your hearing the same thing I heard from my buddy who lives there. Just rzr's and pickup's in his yard though lol.
yah baby, I put the swing in swinger baby yahhhh!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love it! I was going to say something but felt it was not a good idea...your hearing the same thing I heard from my buddy who lives there. Just rzr's and pickup's in his yard though lol.
yah baby, I put the swing in swinger baby yahhhh!
"put the GRRRRR in swinger"...lol

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the offer is accepted and waiting on our conditions, (inspections) to be met and it will likely be ours.

Unique little property which maybe someone people strayed away from because of the lot situation but for us looks ideal.

Thanks for the input.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Danny are you slowly moving back to the east coast a few km at a time?

Well I looked out the back yard and saw Saskatchewan and didn't seen anything really worth while over there so likely not

Just needed to be able to spread our wings a little more. Townhome living wasn't cutting it lol

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you set enough money aside to buy a cactus if you are moving to Langdon.

I am buying two of everything, cactus, garden gnomes, white landscape rocks, pineapple door knockers, you name it.

Top Bottom