Anyone doing the AST1 Dec 15/16 in Valemount?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading up solo anyone else attending the course or want to grab dinner and drinks afterward? :beer:

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading up solo anyone else attending the course or want to grab dinner and drinks afterward? :beer:

Ill be there if I get my sled and if I can get my group to go with me...... Sure would be nice assurance knowing the rest of my group will be as educated as I am.... But even if they dont want to waste a day learning I might just say to heck with it and join some other group there.... Anyone looking for a stand in in their group??? LOL

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not a waste. Trust me. you learn so much.

Ill be there if I get my sled and if I can get my group to go with me...... Sure would be nice assurance knowing the rest of my group will be as educated as I am.... But even if they dont want to waste a day learning I might just say to heck with it and join some other group there.... Anyone looking for a stand in in their group??? LOL

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not a waste. Trust me. you learn so much.

I fully agree with you CUSO, but its going to be tough to get the rest of the group to agree..... Heck it will be our first trip up with the new sleds, by the time we get the first ride in on the 14th I figure I might take it easy and do the course anyway (on the 15)... I know its a guarantee that Ill be tired and sore from the first day of riding all season, So the Course seems like a no brainer.... Re-coop a bit with a little less strenuous activity lol, as well as gain some well needed knowledge of the backcountry... I'm going for sure, don't know bout the others...

snowbaker

Reaction score
make sure you visit the Swiss Bakery in Valemount on the way to Alpine country rentals on Main street. Sandwiches are to die for !! Fridays and Saturdays besides the usual you can get a real big Pork Schnitzel on artisan heavy or light bread !! you won't go hungry. other small Snacks mini burgers, a Bratwurst in a croissants, wrapped in tin foil to heat up on the engine !!!! AND of course awesome coffees , breakfasts and sweets. Bring a Thermos, great soup is available too AND they open at 5.30am !!!! Sundays closed.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure you visit the Swiss Bakery in Valemount on the way to Alpine country rentals on Main street. Sandwiches are to die for !! Fridays and Saturdays besides the usual you can get a real big Pork Schnitzel on artisan heavy or light bread !! you won't go hungry. other small Snacks mini burgers, a Bratwurst in a croissants, wrapped in tin foil to heat up on the engine !!!! AND of course awesome coffees , breakfasts and sweets. Bring a Thermos, great soup is available too AND they open at 5.30am !!!! Sundays closed.

Thumbs up for the Swiss Bakery!! By far the best lunches you'll find in town and not to mention the amazing breakfasts! Great stuff:)

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, NOW I"M HUNGRY!!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is.

So... the 13th is classroom, 14 is the field, 15th they have nothing then 16 is classroom and 17 is field???

There schedule on website shows nothing in regards to what date is classroom and what date is field... hopefully a zacstracs instructor or member can chime in... Clear everything up...

Cheers

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
So... the 13th is classroom, 14 is the field, 15th they have nothing then 16 is classroom and 17 is field???

There schedule on website shows nothing in regards to what date is classroom and what date is field... hopefully a zacstracs instructor or member can chime in... Clear everything up...

Cheers

Thanks for the thread guys. Good to see people getting organized to complete the mountain training of the AST1!

Sorry for the confusion. We have field instructors available everyday.
Valemount - Dec 13,14,16,17
McBride - Dec 15

Tons of room in all the classes. So far the only dates that are well attended are Dec 13 and Dec 14.
We still have AST1 classroom sessions to run in Regina, Calgary and Edmonton over the next couple weeks. Hopefully there will be enough students following through with their field session to pull this weekend together.

CLICK on the LINKS BELOW for full details about the classes running in Valemount.

[/URL]

The classroom session has a small group signed up so far. I assume that we will have some last minute signups as usual. Those taking the classroom on Saturday can hook into any of the field sessions: Dec 13,14,16, or 17.
Please pass along this info. Usually Valemount is one of our most popular courses.

Not really sure what is holding everyone back. Too many Christmas parties?! ;) :beer:

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are planing on taking the field session. I've already done both the field and classroom but am always up for a refresher. The others are going to try and take the classroom in edmunchuk

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to re-evaluate what I previously wrote in my first few comments to this thread.... What i wrote made it SOUND like that the rest of my group thinks the FIELD course is a waste of time,, Where as what I meant was not that at all!!!!!!!!!

What I meant was, that weekend (Dec 14-17) is our first trip out with our BRAND NEW 163 X's that we all checked last spring..... It is going to be an exciting trip for us as we are all upgrading from the (dare I say) old school sleds of the past (me and my father 06's and my brother an '11sp)... Needless to say we were planning on making the best out of our trip as we possibly could, riding as much as we possibly can with the time allowed (daylight, conditions etc).... My choice of words was not the best and to some it may seem like my riding group is not at all safety conscious when it comes to the Back-Counrty, whereas it is TOTALLY the opposite.....

MY WHOLE GROUP is very concerned with each others safety and security when we are on the MTN, and the last think I need to have going around is the thought that ANYONE in my group had or has NO DISREGARD for safety, whether its their own or someone else.... My choice of wording may have scewed the picture I have painted about my group, and I, as apologetically and respectfully as I POSSIBLY can, want to change that image......

I am going to take the course that weekend, as the next opportunity that arises I will be sitting on a nice hot beach with my newly wed, enjoying our honeymoon, whereas I will be missing out on the next run of courses that will take place...The other riders in my group will have to make their own decisions as to when they will be taking their course, as I have been reassured that THEY DO want to take the course, just wish they could plan it for another weekend, which in my mind is perfectly fine...

Unfortunately the way I described the situation earlier painted a different picture..... To all who saw it as a negative or as a derogatory comment towards my group I apologize, and i SINCERELY apologize to my group, as I cannot take back what I wrote, but I CAN and will TRY MY BEST to make the picture right for ALL TO SEE......

I hope that clears the image of my group, (and myself)...

And to my group, hope you still love me...
:aim_sorry:

Cheers and happy sledding!!!

Monster 1000

Reaction score
We have two maybe 3 guys in our group doing the field course on the 17th. Then we all have our AST1. The field course sure ties the class room all together. Nice when the whole group is on the same page.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have two maybe 3 guys in our group doing the field course on the 17th. Then we all have our AST1. The field course sure ties the class room all together. Nice when the whole group is on the same page.

I totally agree... So much Information gets jammed into your head during the classroom session, its nice to get the field session as well to put all the info to a "Practical" sense of learning!!!

Top Bottom