Any sand area's up north to ride?

ColinSiR

Reaction score
i hate trusting the weathernetwork. they said brule wasnt gonna rain, now it 25 cm of snow.......
and i got the paddle tire on. does anyone know any good "sand" up north....cause the weathernetwork says its warm enough to ride up there:p

ColinSiR

Reaction score
ps im talking like 2-3 hours north if possible from Edmonton!

ColinSiR

Reaction score
this was last weekend, so this weekend i am going to brule, should be a shitshow!! i got the paddle tire on!

cameljockey

Reaction score
If your willing to drive North of Fort McMurray, the six lakes area is unbelievable. They have the Richardson Sand Dunes to ride of. All kinds of crystal clean lakes to fish and camp around. It would be a trip you won't forget.

Reddragon816

Reaction score
If your willing to drive North of Fort McMurray, the six lakes area is unbelievable. They have the Richardson Sand Dunes to ride of. All kinds of crystal clean lakes to fish and camp around. It would be a trip you won't forget.

Is Richardson Sand Dunes bigger than Brule? and if so how much bigger? Its a long hike for me to go up there but if its huge and hilly than i think it might be worth it

Sparx

Reaction score
This thread is useless without pics, so here it goes.... :d

The hills aren't really long, but some decent steepness to some of them and they start out fast. You don't need paddle tires, stock radial tires do pretty good, mud tires suck. I'm trying paddles this year for the first time just for kicks and for when I go riding in the bigger dunes in the states. Richardson(rideables) and Athabasca(walkables) dunes are like a dried up lake in reference to size. You can play in them all day and there's lots of little kickers to jump off of and flat spots to wheelie forever. The biggest factor is that you pretty much have to camp to ride there cause it's a really long haul up. About 1 1/2hr truck drive north of McMurray to the unloading spot, then another 1 1/2 quad ride towing tubs(30kph) to the area of various campgrounds you can camp at next to beautiful lakes. After that, it's another good hour to 1 1/2hr quad ride to the rideable dunes depending how whooped out the dune road is. It can be quite the ride to get there, but it's totally worth a days' quading from the camps there and back.

If you live in Calgary it might just be better to go to the states where you can get a hotel/motel room nearby the dunes? Oregon and Idaho dunes are much more than the dunes up here. I think what we have though are as good as it gets in Canada though?

Attachments

• DSCF0187.JPG
    DSCF0187.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF0205.JPG
    DSCF0205.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF0207.JPG
    DSCF0207.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0214.JPG
    DSCF0214.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 74

Reddragon816

Reaction score
that looks great. how long of a ride to the dunes (as pictured) on my bike from where we can camp?

Sparx

Reaction score
This thread is useless without pics, so here it goes.... :d

The hills aren't really long, but some decent steepness to some of them and they start out fast. You don't need paddle tires, stock radial tires do pretty good, mud tires suck. I'm trying paddles this year for the first time just for kicks and for when I go riding in the bigger dunes in the states. Richardson(rideables) and Athabasca(walkables) dunes are like a dried up lake in reference to size. You can play in them all day and there's lots of little kickers to jump off of and flat spots to wheelie forever. The biggest factor is that you pretty much have to camp to ride there cause it's a really long haul up. About 1 1/2hr truck drive north of McMurray to the unloading spot, then another 1 1/2 quad ride towing tubs(30kph) to the area of various campgrounds you can camp at next to beautiful lakes. After that, it's another good hour to 1 1/2hr quad ride to the rideable dunes depending how whooped out the dune road is. It can be quite the ride to get there, but it's totally worth a days' quading from the camps there and back.

If you live in Calgary it might just be better to go to the states where you can get a hotel/motel room nearby the dunes? Oregon and Idaho dunes are much more than the dunes up here. I think what we have though are as good as it gets in Canada though?

All the info is in my original thread, all the detail you could need to get started.

Top Bottom