Any clutching changes on 2018 skidoo?

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
I just watched that. More airflow to the clutch area and adding fins to the stationary sheave is gonna help keep temps down a bit, sure. But what about the real reason why the heat is developing in the first place, namely belt slippage? Although it's not the best clutch around, the Tra didn't need "cooling fins" or more airflow. Why does the better pdrive need more cooling?
It's not that hard to make clutches work. The Cvt has been around for 50 years but a multi billion dollar company that builds planes, trains and automobiles can't get a clutch to work without generating heat? What gives?
Signed,
Shaking my head and disappointed clutch enthusiast.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to use all the clutch faces you need the sled to be geared and clutched to match engine hp and load.....so your sled uses half the clutch face.....man is it dialed in :rolleyes:

lol!!!! ok so drop a couple teeth use more clutch face and loose a couple MPH ground speed. READ WHAT YOUR SAYING MAN!!\

you can change gearing and ramps and springs all you want. if your machine is hitting rated rpm and maintaining it through load it does not matter how much of the clutch face you are using.

add 50 HP with the same gearing and now its using more clutch face and making more ground speed. this is really simple stuff

throw tractor gearing in, use more clutch face.....make the same ground speed at the stock calibration.

we should all go to the hill one day. all you tuning wizards with your different springs/ramps/helixes and compare our calibrations. one might say the sled reacts different and in a more preferred way to stock but as far as performance on the hill give me a break.

if your machine is not hitting or maintaining rated RPM through load then yes you need a calibration change and YES it will make a performance difference.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol!!!! ok so drop a couple teeth use more clutch face and loose a couple MPH ground speed. READ WHAT YOUR SAYING MAN!!\

you can change gearing and ramps and springs all you want. if your machine is hitting rated rpm and maintaining it through load it does not matter how much of the clutch face you are using.

add 50 HP with the same gearing and now its using more clutch face and making more ground speed. this is really simple stuff

throw tractor gearing in, use more clutch face.....make the same ground speed at the stock calibration.

we should all go to the hill one day. all you tuning wizards with your different springs/ramps/helixes and compare our calibrations. one might say the sled reacts different and in a more preferred way to stock but as far as performance on the hill give me a break.

if your machine is not hitting or maintaining rated RPM through load then yes you need a calibration change and YES it will make a performance difference.

If you need to add 50hp to make use of the stock gearing the factory missed the set-up big time

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you need to add 50hp to make use of the stock gearing the factory missed the set-up big time

No lol. Add turbo. Same gearing. Sled will use more of the clutch face in turn creating more track and ground speed. If you wanted to achieve the same shift out with stock engine you would need to reduce the gearing so low your sled would be extremely slow. This is under load not bombing down a lake

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No lol. Add turbo. Same gearing. Sled will use more of the clutch face in turn creating more track and ground speed. If you wanted to achieve the same shift out with stock engine you would need to reduce the gearing so low your sled would be extremely slow. This is under load not bombing down a lake

So you think gearing down and running the belt up the face slows you down.....you are special

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you think gearing down and running the belt up the face slows you down.....you are special

thats not what I was implying. It would remain the same. You are special. If you can run the belt up with the same gearing now your making more speed. But guess what does that. Power lol

kidinloghouse

Reaction score
so now i'm not an expert. but i have spent a bit of time playing with some clutching.

if you are only using half your primary, say up to third gear with a six gear tranny. doing 80mph with stock gearing. wouldn't their be benefits to gearing for 80mph in 6th gear. like efficiency or clutch heat. seems like a waste to me. and i've wasted a lifetimes worth of spare belts in one ride.

EDIT: as well with the lower gearing and using all the clutch wouldn't have you have a better chance of being in that sweet spot, getting the most power to the ground. and making the best use of the 2 stroke powerband?

Last edited:

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You want to use all the clutch face if for no other reason (and there are other reasons) to dissipate heat.

Also, just because the sled reaches and holds rpm, doesn't mean the clutch is working well at all-the belt may be slipping.

Last edited:
Top Bottom