Amsoil By-Pass Filtration System

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is nothing new to Cummins. They have run dual filter bypass on commercial trucks forever. Just a copy from Amsoil. CENTINEL Advanced Engine Oil Management System is far more interesting, oil changes are extended to 4,000 hours and oil filter intervals are increased to 1,000 hours. Also used by Cummins since Christ was a Cowboy.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of my friends installed that system on his 6.7 CTD. It worked well until the kit developed an oil leak and he blew his engine up. He found that he had not tightened one of the fittings properly so it was not the kit that was the problem. He had installed his filters under the passenger side frame. If you use any of these kits double check your connections and also keep an eye on your setup for any problems till you "shake it down"...even then...give the system an inspection now and again. They do work very well at keeping the oil cleaner. I was going to install just the bypass model as you can fit it behind the passenger battery or ahead of the front passenger tire is another pretty good spot.

Good luck with your truck!

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you buy the cummins kit from amsoil, they return the oil via the cap in the valve cover. Doesnt matter if its a 5.9 or 6.7. Hopefully they change the cap in the kits. If have the 5.9 with the alu valve cover, it doesnt leak. But if you have the plastic cover, it leaks oil. Been thru this with amsoil already, they were great about it & return $ for 2 oil caps. I just got a bulkhead fitting, drill the lower valve cover, thats were return oil goes now. Also dont have oil line in the way all the time when want to change oil.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you buy the cummins kit from amsoil, they return the oil via the cap in the valve cover. Doesnt matter if its a 5.9 or 6.7. Hopefully they change the cap in the kits. If have the 5.9 with the alu valve cover, it doesnt leak. But if you have the plastic cover, it leaks oil. Been thru this with amsoil already, they were great about it & return $ for 2 oil caps. I just got a bulkhead fitting, drill the lower valve cover, thats were return oil goes now. Also dont have oil line in the way all the time when want to change oil.

Looks like U can get the kit in 2 ways (1) returns back into the oil cap or (2) returns back to a fitting installed in the oil pan.
I like the idea of installing it in the valve cover. Tucked away out of sight..my kind of install. I didnt care for the oil pan idea ...just because! Espeacally thier hollow self tapping bolt :eek:????

So are you running a 5.9? Which kit do you have BMK 21 or the BMK 25? I was leaning towards the BMK 21for my 6.7 just because I figured I could mount / protect one filter some were up front. The adaptor spin on filter stlye would require the duel filters to be mounted some were on the frame rail close and would need some protection from the elements.

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the BMK 21, mounted to the front rad support. I know lots of people put in back on the frame rail. But I figured if the truck is in a head on, likely not going to drive it any ways. I can email you a pic, just pm your address. Its ahead of the left front tire, behind the splash guard. There is a bracket that holds that rad, thats were I mounted it. Seen a few mounted under the intake horn, but thats 5.9's. 6.7 have alot stuff in that area. Another reason were I mounted it there, was no mess when replacing the filter. Drains straight down, not all over the engine area. Also mounted a 2mic fuel filter beside it, as stock fuel is a joke!. I used to have the oil return to the filler cap, but it looked bad, plus always in the way. Didnt leak thou, then put on one buddies 06 with plastic valve cover, always an oil mist from the oil cap area. I looked up the oil cap part number on the Cummins system, differnt part numbers. To look @ the caps, appear the same. Went to a local hydrualic store, got a ss thru head adaper, removed valve covers. Drilled hole, so the oil returns to the same place. No more leaks. Have read on some diesel sites, that the CR engine has low oil pressure issues with a bypass system added. To this date the 2 I know have, been good. Just letting you know what heard. Ask if you have any other ?'s about it.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the BMK 21, mounted to the front rad support. I know lots of people put in back on the frame rail. But I figured if the truck is in a head on, likely not going to drive it any ways. I can email you a pic, just pm your address. Its ahead of the left front tire, behind the splash guard. There is a bracket that holds that rad, thats were I mounted it. Seen a few mounted under the intake horn, but thats 5.9's. 6.7 have alot stuff in that area. Another reason were I mounted it there, was no mess when replacing the filter. Drains straight down, not all over the engine area. Also mounted a 2mic fuel filter beside it, as stock fuel is a joke!. I used to have the oil return to the filler cap, but it looked bad, plus always in the way. Didnt leak thou, then put on one buddies 06 with plastic valve cover, always an oil mist from the oil cap area. I looked up the oil cap part number on the Cummins system, differnt part numbers. To look @ the caps, appear the same. Went to a local hydrualic store, got a ss thru head adaper, removed valve covers. Drilled hole, so the oil returns to the same place. No more leaks. Have read on some diesel sites, that the CR engine has low oil pressure issues with a bypass system added. To this date the 2 I know have, been good. Just letting you know what heard. Ask if you have any other ?'s about it.

Thanks, for all the great info. I have read about the lo oil pressure thing, one guy, I found out later he had 8' of line running to and from the filter. Who knew the internet could be missleading!!! I'll PM ya.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said, you can fit the BK-21 behind the passenger battery. I like to mount things like this under the hood although another nice spot for it is behind the front bumper in front of the passenger front wheel. It is fairly well protected there and changing the filter is pretty easy. My buddy who installed his behind the battery told me he puts a zip-lock bag around the filter when he changes it to avoid making any mess under the hood.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to a local hydrualic store, got a ss thru head adaper, removed valve covers. Drilled hole, so the oil returns to the same place. No more leaks. Have read on some diesel sites, that the CR engine has low oil pressure issues with a bypass system added. To this date the 2 I know have, been good. Just letting you know what heard. Ask if you have any other ?'s about it.
When you say SS thru head adaptor are you talking about a bulkhead fitting or is the head adaptor something different? A fitting with a gasket would be cool but I figure a guy could make a bulkhead fitting seal with a good oil resistant o-ring and alittle green locktight!

Greyhound

Reaction score
Like I said, you can fit the BK-21 behind the passenger battery. I like to mount things like this under the hood although another nice spot for it is behind the front bumper in front of the passenger front wheel. It is fairly well protected there and changing the filter is pretty easy. My buddy who installed his behind the battery told me he puts a zip-lock bag around the filter when he changes it to avoid making any mess under the hood.

Cool

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SS = stainless steel. I used ss line, got a bulkhead fitting, used a metal washer that has a oring inside it. There isnt any real pressure under the valve cover, just oil splash. Should be able to send you a pic saturday.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres the fitting I found so far. I just need to get to the hydrawlic fitting store for a washer with a seal on it. I had a AN bulkhead fitting but it only came in a straight, if I can find a long radius 90 hose to AN fitting I'll go that route...less fitting less chance of leaks. The way I have it set up in the picture I like best as the nut and the AN fitting " being on the outside" would both have to lossen off to lose the fitting inside the valve cover which would be "Very Bad"!

Attachments

• robs phone 150.jpg
    robs phone 150.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 112
  • robs phone 151.jpg
    robs phone 151.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 98
  • robs phone 152.jpg
    robs phone 152.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats kinda what I used on the lower valve cover base. Likely a different manf. of bulk head fitting. Still trying to get you pics, havent forgot about you.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those who are going to install a BMK21 on a 6.7 dodge...this is what I learned!
Step 1 throw away instuctions!

You have to tap into the top of the factory oil fitler housing 1st pic "kind of"
I tried to tie into the valve cover but it really is not a option as there is way to much crap under the first cover and to pull the base cover just was not worth it IMO
Thats why I tempararly tied into my OEM fill cap " had to order the Amsoil cap"

Second & third picture. My bracket is a 3"wide X 6"long and 4.5" tall L - bracket with 3 holes drilled to mount to the engine block. I mounted the Amsoil filter housing to the top of the "4.5" L part , this worked out quit well as I bought the med lenth filter but I will buy the longest one next time..I think its 12" long, I have the 10".

Attachments

• robs phone 158.jpg
    robs phone 158.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 69
  • robs phone 156.jpg
    robs phone 156.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 75

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont bother trying to tie the supply to the oil sending unit "as per instructions", After 1 hour of getting it off to discover its a bango style fitting thats metric. Nothing in this kit to help out there, the oil filter works great and the kit comes with the right fittings to tie in there.

I also install my new oil plug drain system.....good lord everyone should have one. You will never spill a drop of oil again. The more you screw the hose on the fast the oil comes. works great I dont even use a catch pan anymore. Straight into old oil jugs, no mess way easier than the old way IMO. Esspeacialy when your dumping 15 L of oil from 2 feet up

Attachments

• robs phone 156.jpg
    robs phone 156.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 62
  • robs phone 163.jpg
    robs phone 163.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 63
  • robs phone 161.jpg
    robs phone 161.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 70

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I left my top return hose loose and long for now till I get the Amsoil cap.....$60 good lord???

Attachments

• robs phone 159.jpg
    robs phone 159.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 65

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres a pic of the Amsoil cap, I glad its not as neon blue as the web site shows. Also had a pic of the bracket, could'nt find any thicker plate! lol:beer:

Attachments

• robs phone 166.jpg
    robs phone 166.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 57
  • robs phone 164.jpg
    robs phone 164.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 54

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least the bracket should never break!

Why did you mount it there though...the instructions for mounting these units clearly state to NOT install it onto the engine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom