Almost had to tow her back to the truck!!

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About an hour into Saturdays ride my 13 Pro starts to act up.
Popping through the exhaust, running on one cylinder, bogging and eventually stalling.
Thinking maybe I have some bad fuel, I switch over to ethanol.
No change.....
Swap out spark plugs, no change.
Last week I had the hood off, set my TPS and put dielectric grease in all the wiring connectors, so I checked as many wires as I could see. Nothing turns up.
So as we were figuring out who was going to tow and what route to take I said, "give me a few minutes, I'm going to disconnect all the safety's."
Pull the hood off and disconnect the Polaris tether, give the rope a pull and hey, sounds pretty good!
Take her for a few rips and what do you know?
Runs like a champ!!.,
Rode the rest of that day and all today with no problems at all.
Who would of thunk that a bad tether could make it run so strangely?
Mission thIs week is to fit a better tether...........

Turts, typing on Tapatalk

sledhead9825

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing last year with a Polaris tether. It must be the rubber cap not pushing in the pin all the way.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the odd issue with my tether. Went back and tightened the nut where the tether is attached to the sled, no problems now (as long as u make sure there is no snow build up in the plug.

Sent from a Galaxy S3 far far away.

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those types of tethers can cause an intermittent fault, hence doing exactly what yours did. Exactly why I went with the pro armor type, they're usually either go or no.

The plug and play from OFT was worth every penny. And when they accidentally sent me one without the plug, he just sent a new one. Woohoo spare parts! Lol.

Last edited:

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those types of tethers can cause an intermittent fault, hence doing exactly what yours did. Exactly why I went with the pro armor type, they're usually either go or no.

The plug and play from OFT was worth every penny. And when they accidentally sent me one without the plug, he just sent a new one. Woohoo spare parts! Lol.

That style of tether runs into icing problems in certain conditions. They're not the absolute answer either. Still, better than no tether.

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100% agree. No tethers are 100% reliable in all conditions, but these tend to freeze in the on position (not the best if you find out by falling off) but easy to test and less likely to leave you tearing into your sled in the backcountry trying to get to the connector.

That being said, no issues with either of mine so far and they've seen from 0 and tons of snow to -25 and tons of snow.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100% agree. No tethers are 100% reliable in all conditions, but these tend to freeze in the on position (not the best if you find out by falling off) but easy to test and less likely to leave you tearing into your sled in the backcountry trying to get to the connector.

That being said, no issues with either of mine so far and they've seen from 0 and tons of snow to -25 and tons of snow.

guys been having problems with the pro armors on snowest.

The pingle ones look good. use a hair cotter pin

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have head the Pingel is a solid no fault unit. Pricey but worth it on the mountain with no issues

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys.
I have a handlebar bag and water bottle holder on the bars so any tether that is bar mounted would not be my preference.
Is there any other tether that can be console mounted besides the Polaris one?
I am going to have a look at the failed tether to figure out exactly what is wrong with it.
I'll report back later.

Turts, typing on Tapatalk

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a handlebar bag and water bottle holder on the bars so any tether that is bar mounted would not be my preference.

I prefer the bar mounted ProArmour. I moved all the stuff that used to be on my bars. The bar mounted tether has yet to get wrapped around my arm, my bars, a tree branch like the dash mounted one always did.

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20131127_200251.jpg

i had the same problem,made room on bars and went with pro designs

Pro Design Tether Switch - Motorcycle Superstore

Top Bottom