Alberta River Question

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Came across an opinion that basically said don’t buy a larger 20' plus 12 to 16 degree hull stay with the under 20’ and 8 to 10 degree hull,

His reason was the Alberta rivers don’t have enough water most the season???

Is there some truth in that….

I had been told that the E6 for instance could run in 8” of water, his comment was it would require you to be over 30 MPH, when an 8 degree boat might be able to run that at 15 to 20 MPH.

I used the North Sask river as an example, there a reasonably deep channel in that river like most have a glacier channel…..his comment was right now if you launch atthe Zoo the channel is on the opposite bank and you’d be lucky if there was 8”of water to get to it???

I don’t need aboat that I can only use part time…

And if I buy a 8 degree hull that will work better on shallow water, they’re no good on thelake….

His opinion was that there are no good cross over boats, there’s lake boats and river boats?

Help….

Last edited:

phatboy07

Reaction score
I own and run an E6, just picked it up this season. His comments are correct about speed. A lower deg boat will stay on step at a slower speed then a higher deg. I cruise on step in the 24- 30 mph range and will draft 7 to 10 inches at this speed. This depends on how loaded the boat is, river you run, etc. I have checked by purposely running over sand bars that I have measured (mind you with some help to push off lol) to see how shallow it will go... 5-8 inches is what it will run, this is at about 30-35 mph. above that doesn't seem to get me more clearance. I run the Athabasca and Clearwater rivers up in fort mac...haven't hit anything yet that wasn't technically on purpose (see above lol) but have slightly scrubbed sand for a split second by operator mistake on a corner on the Clearwater. I am more than happy with how shallow it will run and how great it is on the lakes (I fish, ski, and tube so the versatility is great). I would try to get as much info on the rivers you want to run and talk with more people who run them to see what they are like. Remember though that when talking boats it can be just as bad as a Ford, chevy, dodge debate so take the info with a grain of salt unless the info seems genuine. You should be able to come up with a good understanding of what the rivers are like. I have gone with a few 8, 10 and 12 deg boats...I go where they have, some had the same opinion I wouldn't make it, no comments after I made it through with out hitting. BUT The E-6 is NOT a skinny water rock hopper...if the rivers you intend to run are skinny waters...not the right boat. There ARE good crossover boats and the E-6 is one...but it works only depending on the rivers you run. You unfortunately cant have the best of both worlds when it comes to running rivers.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, different opinion for you Iron horse. The E6 and E 7 are a river boat in the same fashion that a 8 degree Muskwa is a wakeboard boat, it'll do it , but way not the right boat. If you're gonna stay in big deep rivers, the Sabres are ok, if you're ginna go late in the year or in smaller rivers, it's gonna eventually get expensive. Way better choices IMO.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's, I wish the close rivers had more water, as I really like the looks of the E6....and we still want to be on the lake, the whole idea was spawned from a day when kids and friends couldnt go to the lake and were 30 min from the North Sask, we thought if the E6 could do both, wouldnt it be great to drop the boat into the North Sask and go for a picnic....

Anyone close to Edmonton, willing to take us for a ride, I'll pay for gas and bring food and drinks.....still getting mixed answers on the condition of the river between Edmonton and Devon or Edmonton and Fort Sask, currently the comments are we'd be pushing the E6 a lot this time of the year....

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sabres are more lake boats than river boats for sure. So I guess you need to evaluate if you will be spending more time on the lake or the river and go from there. There's a reason everyone says you need at least two boats lol.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Iron Horse Racing.....

You just need one of these for a river boat, its all we've used for years........ can fit 3 under the sled deck, 2 quads up top and still pull the bumper pull holiday trailer!

riverboat.jpg

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iron Horse Racing.....

You just need one of these for a river boat, its all we've used for years........ can fit 3 under the sled deck, 2 quads up top and still pull the bumper pull holiday trailer!

View attachment 173086

Should be easy to get off the sand bar's but what's your top speed......

Last edited:

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 20 ft Outlaw Nahanni, 12 deg 350, AT 309 pump, at 30-32 mph cruise it'll skim 6 inches. Every boat has its pros and cons, old man runs a 8 deg marathon awesome in the skinny, get it on the lake and you feel everything. I use mine for both lake and river and love it 12 degree is a good crossover if your not planning on being in big water.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IRONHORSE ill take you out anytime man, I just went through what you are asking about I can give you some input first hand. cell 780-217-9141 shop 780-963-0080 call me

Chris

Top Bottom