Airport procedures for direct flight from Alberta to Mexico

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We will be traveling from the Calgary airport direct to Cancun Mexico in a couple of weeks as we are participating in a Fly-Away wedding.

Someone in our group said we have to be at the airport 3 hrs before departure time...seems a bit excessive. Our flight leaves at 8 AM, so we would have to be at the airport at 5 AM.

Would anyone like to share their experiences with direct flights from Alberta to Mexico...no stopover on our flight.

Thanks

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2.5 hours will work ... Watch out for the time share salesmen in cancun !
Have fun !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For example at EIA the baggage from check in as it travels downstairs and passes all the security scanner's etc can take 45 mins. Then they load the plane.

So 2 1/2 to 3 hours if you have security line ups seems right.

Smile for the naked scanner.

Val Senio
Royal LePage
780-405-9359

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We showed up 3hrs before our flight when going to Mexico. We didn't have a whole bunch of extra time. That was at 3am so wasn't to busy. If it was at peak time I would say it would be just enough time. Would rather sit and have a beer then miss my flight!

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We showed up 3hrs before our flight when going to Mexico. We didn't have a whole bunch of extra time. That was at 3am so wasn't to busy. If it was at peak time I would say it would be just enough time. Would rather sit and have a beer then miss my flight!

Can you get a beer:beer: at 6 AM at the Calgary airport? I might have to do that for the first time ever.:d

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fly a lot and just a heads up they do have the right to refuse boarding if you are not there in the appropriate time. Had it happen to me in London Heathrow 2 years ago flying direct to Vancouver. Missed by 1/2 hr. Other times know one says anything. Have a fun holiday!

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Calling the Airline and asking may give you a good Indication!!
We never show up less than 2hrs before.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can probably get by with 2 hours but that may not leave much time if the airport is busy. It helps if you check in on line and then just need your baggage tag, drop your luggage and go through security. If you are early, a Caesar and omelette are quite satisfying. They do have a Chili's so maybe a breakfast marguerite and an enchilada...

It is a vacation so be early and get a buzz on)

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I used to fly a lot in my previous career...hundreds of international flights over 9 years. Since 2002 I have only made one international flight and less than a 1/2 dozen regional flights. I'm out of the loop as far as airport security protocol. Used to be a pain clearing US customs/immigration at YYC...thought it might be less painful flying straight to Mexico...I guess things have changed.

roadlinur113

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We will be traveling from the Calgary airport direct to Cancun Mexico in a couple of weeks as we are participating in a Fly-Away wedding.

Someone in our group said we have to be at the airport 3 hrs before departure time...seems a bit excessive. Our flight leaves at 8 AM, so we would have to be at the airport at 5 AM.

Would anyone like to share their experiences with direct flights from Alberta to Mexico...no stopover on our flight.

Thanks

I fly alot to International destinations. The process through Calgary is now very automated and streamlined. I show up to Park 2 Go 2 hours ahead and have always been through customs and security in never more than 30 mins max, usually 1/2 that much time. This leaves an hour of spare time in case that 1 time things go sideways and takes longer. Don't stress and enjoy that holiday.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New international terminal has its own security screening so the lines are not to bad unless maybe flying at a peak time
we flew mid afternoon in early January on west jet check in and security took 10 mins

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with many people on this thread. I always arrive early, 3 hours for international or at least 1.5 for domestic. I enjoy sitting in the Molson Brewhouse if flying domestic, or Chilis if flying international. Always fun to watch people sprinting to make a flight.
I have also been put on earlier flights when arriving early for domestic flights. Its fun arriving before your ride at destination shows up, so you can have a beer or coffee at another airport!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't judge me but I like people watching in the airport. Trying to figure out where and why the big biker dude and his grandmother is flying to and why, or if the cowboy will still be wearing his hat on the beach of Mexico.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going with two hours and your safe. Just don't say sh$t like bomb, gun, kill, or I'm not paying my taxes and I'm sure you'll be fine.
Its the trip back I worry about, never any air and jammed in a room with a ton of tired folks coming home, yuck😩

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do 1-1.5 hrs for Mexico and Canada. 1.5-2 hrs for USA. Always check in before and typically carry on bags.
If you don't travel much add 30 mins to that.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
We usually do the 3 hours ahead of time thing. Would much rather have to waste time in a lounge past security than be rushed.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom