Airbag Failure in Avalanche death: Coroner

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the A.J. Cleary thread, but thought it might be more appropriate in the avalanche section.

It appears that the avalanche victim had a faulty airbag.

There is one in the video that also says it's an "ABS" bag, but who knows for sure yet.

It is a good time for us all to test our equipment, I know I will deploy mine before I head out next time.

WATCH: Avalanche victim?s airbag malfunctioned | Globalnews.ca

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it's not yet a Coroner's conclusion, just witness statements to the Coroner.

In any case....IF it was an ABS as the guy in the video says, then I need to relate a concern I've had since my son bought his 6 years ago. Specifically the velcro strap they have around the trip handle. He kept telling me...nah, it's OK. You can pull it with that strap done up. I asked him to prove it one day....and he couldn't trip it. Always rode with the strap undone since then. Not just ABS with this issue. When my daughter first tried to test deploy her BCA, she wasn't strong enough to do it. BCA came up with an updated easy pull trigger after that. Now she has no problem with it, but without that update it was never gonna save her.

Some will say they need to be difficult so you don't deploy them by accident. I'd rather have it go off by accident occasionally, that not work when I really need it.

Not saying any of this contributed this time....just saying how important it is to know our equipment.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I bought my ABS bag I was told the opposite, make sure you leave the velcro strap loose so the trip handle is not restricted. I have only had i go off once by accident since 07 and it hooked on my mountain additction gas can rack pin cable when I picked my pack up off the tunnel, so it pulled pretty hard. If you look at the snow pulse there is nothing around the handle. I would recommmend always ensuring that there is at least a 1 inch gap between handle and strap.

In any case....IF it was an ABS as the guy in the video says, then I need to relate a concern I've had since my son bought his 6 years ago. Specifically the velcro strap they have around the trip handle. He kept telling me...nah, it's OK. You can pull it with that strap done up. I asked him to prove it one day....and he couldn't trip it. Always rode with the strap undone since then. Not just ABS with this issue. When my daughter first tried to test deploy her BCA, she wasn't strong enough to do it. BCA came up with an updated easy pull trigger after that. Now she has no problem with it, but without that update it was never gonna save her.

Some will say they need to be difficult so you don't deploy them by accident. I'd rather have it go off by accident occasionally, that not work when I really need it.

Not saying any of this contributed this time....just saying how important it is to know our equipment.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this as I have an ABS bag and always assumed the Velcro should be snug for exactly that reason (setting it off by accident)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DooDoo

Reaction score
Turbo.jpg
Here is the pack he was wearing

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like a BCA float 30. The price point of the BCA is attractive but that handle does not look easy to grip and pull compared to the ABS and Snowpulse.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification.

Sparky403

Reaction score
There was a voluntary re call on the BCA packs because of faulty triggers early this season. I wonder if he had the new trigger installed?

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Sad we lost AJ, but to clarify, with ABS the velcro is there for when you are not in AVY Teraain, when you are you should undo the velcro and wrap it so it does not inhibit the handle, it is best not to just leave it hanging as snow will coat the upper velcro and the handle wont stick to it with it iced up so the best is to undo and align the stap out of the way of the handle and back to the upper velcro piece, move it on and off as you see fit on what terrain you are in, cheers dave

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad we lost AJ, but to clarify, with ABS the velcro is there for when you are not in AVY Teraain, when you are you should undo the velcro and wrap it so it does not inhibit the handle, it is best not to just leave it hanging as snow will coat the upper velcro and the handle wont stick to it with it iced up so the best is to undo and align the stap out of the way of the handle and back to the upper velcro piece, move it on and off as you see fit on what terrain you are in, cheers dave

exactly. i realized this in the spring when we were blowing our bags off for the year. tried pulling it with the velcro on and not a chance. now i know what to do next season

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I got my ABS bag in 07 at Martin they said to leave the velcro done up with 1/4" gap for the 1/8" pull required to deploy. One accidental deploy at Renshaw cabin cleaning snow and ice from around trigger before heading down at end of day. All other pulls were intentional. One in group set it off in heavy branches.
No issues with 1/4" play in strap.
Pulled tight? Not gonna work.
Have not ridden without my bag since 07, my #1 piece of equipment that is just for ME!

Last edited:

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one issue I have with these air bag packs is the repacking after deployment. I watched a guy try to stuff it back in after a acidental trigger one time and it looked like a sheet show and he didn't know if buddy and him were going to get it back in. = too tight a fit. so this got me to thinking that like parachutes, he who repacks it can save a life or cost a life. coz we all have heard stories of poorly packed parachutes ending poorly.
when he acidently deployed it, it didnt deflate fully. I think he packed it himself. I'd say it was 1/3 inflated! he said the shop wants it for 24 hours to repack and only 1 guy did it. now I see why.
I know sometimes you cant get a professional to do it for you. is there an online youtube tutorial ???
how many deployments is a bag good for???
inspection of bag???

I dont ride with one ...

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one issue I have with these air bag packs is the repacking after deployment. I watched a guy try to stuff it back in after a acidental trigger one time and it looked like a sheet show and he didn't know if buddy and him were going to get it back in. = too tight a fit. so this got me to thinking that like parachutes, he who repacks it can save a life or cost a life. coz we all have heard stories of poorly packed parachutes ending poorly.
when he acidently deployed it, it didnt deflate fully. I think he packed it himself. I'd say it was 1/3 inflated! he said the shop wants it for 24 hours to repack and only 1 guy did it. now I see why.
I know sometimes you cant get a professional to do it for you. is there an online youtube tutorial ???
inspection of bag???

I dont ride with one ...
I got thinking that after having one and recieving avalanche training that your blatant and willfull disregard for any kind of safety around avalanche conditions made you immune to this subject.....

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

inspection of bag???

I dont ride with one ...

If you pay attention when you do your purchase deployment it is very easy to repack. You are condeming the bag and have zero experience. Really? The bags are easy to deflate fully. Maybe plan ahead and pull the bladder out and refold to the creases so you know how it works????? Be familiar with all of your gear not just the throttle! The bags are increadibly simple to use and pack. If some one can not figure out an aibag I'm sorry but they are simpler.
Stay off the hill, get a granola bar and a crossword puzzle.
Packing a chute is more complicated and you better pay attention in class for that one! You only get to thunder in once!

Got snow?69

Reaction score
I have an ABS air bag pack that I bought around 6or 7 years ago. It has the big ring handle with the Velcro strap and I set it off twice. 1st time was in an avalanche up Corbin BC. Luckily I managed to clime out of it on the sled as the snow was sliding but I did set the pack off. I had so much adrenaline that the Velcro didn't phase me. I think more fear then anything. The slide was huge the whole bowl let go as I was climbing up and I was about 3/4 the way to the top. The second time I set the bag off was by accident the loop caught on my handle bars. Again I didn't have an issues with the bag not deploying. It is for sale if anyone's interested. 300$ needs a bottle. I upgraded to a new abs vest style pack this year. If interested email me at kingofthehill234@hotmail.com

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
inspection of bag???

I dont ride with one ...

I have had a Snowpulse 30 L for 4 or 5 years now. I test fire mine at the beginning of every season, repack it and refill the canister myself (I have access to a breathing air compressor) and it has worked flawlessly. The Youtube tutorials for these packs works for me :) Shadam I would bet that the gentleman on the hill didn't know what he was doing. Not sure of how many deployments they would be good for. I think mine will last many years, it's well built and I look after it. The deployment at the start of every season gives me all the info I need as to the readiness of my pack or not.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are actually instructions to put it back together. I found it very easy, just follow the fold lines.

As for the Velcro strap, c'mon people let's use some common sense here. Remove the Velcro strap when you get in the hills, and always bring an extra bottle along!

Top Bottom