96 ish 400 2 stroke explorer...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is for a friend and we are stumped.... won't start now...

before it would shut off sometimes when put into reverse like u turned the key off... put it into neu or forword and it will go.. [ this was very intermitant ] ... now no go.... does anyone have any info on these old ones...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like the reverse limiter is pooched, pull the black wire on limiter, small square box on clutch side of radiator. it should start unless you have other problems. loose nut behind wrench!!!!;):d. you owe me beer.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you unplugged the rev limiter; it will short out the ignition system and create a no start condition.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
small 2.5 in sq, i/2 in thick, black box with 5-6 wires in front of rad, top right corner. :beer:

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
small 2.5 in sq, i/2 in thick, black box with 5-6 wires in front of rad, top right corner. :beer:

That's the rectifier in front of the rad...the rev limiter is just to the left behind the oil tank.

I'm working on one of these for a buddy and I'm wondering if anyone would know why the coolant isn't circulating properly? We've bled and bled air out of the system, but the temp light is still coming on and the return hose at the bottom of the engine is no where near as warm as the top hose.

Any help would be appreciated.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's the rectifier in front of the rad...the rev limiter is just to the left behind the oil tank.

I'm working on one of these for a buddy and I'm wondering if anyone would know why the coolant isn't circulating properly? We've bled and bled air out of the system, but the temp light is still coming on and the return hose at the bottom of the engine is no where near as warm as the top hose.

Any help would be appreciated.

bad impeller?

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pump impeller or t'stat. If you cannot get all the air out while its running or if it has been severly overheated check for a leaking head gasket

Top Bottom