800 polaris pro ride engine problems?

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told by my dealer to ride the throttle a little on descent or oil will be a little light. That being said I have cranked up my oil pump a couple turns and try to run a cup of oil in the gas in the mountains.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a question. I snow checked my 12 RMK, 800, I ran a 600 IQ prior to that. I really started mountain riding after the purchase of my 800. My mountain riding buddies, Yamaha 4 strokers told me how to engage the clutch and use the engine as a brake when coming back down from steep climbs. Now here comes the quiz!!!! When I start decending and I engage the clutch/belt I have seen the engine rev up to 6500 rpm. As the oil pump rate of flow is controlled by throttle linkage/cable. Where is this engine getting its oil from? I asked all buddies and they have no idea!!!! Then I talked to my Polaris dealers head mechanic and he had no answer!! I was told that the Etec (Summit) actually has an engine brake that provides extra oil to the engine when it is being used as a brake. Can anyone tell me what the scoop is on this? Thinking back, each time I blew an engine it was within 2 to 10 miles after coming back from the mountains!!

These motors also don't have fuel going through the crankcase to wash the oil off, and there is less load on the bearings so they don't need as much lubrication when braking down hill. Are these pumps not also rpm controlled? Meaning they pump more oil at higher rpm?

Kyper

Reaction score
Just a heads up... turns out that the Polaris crate engines that are being installed when you blow your motor are clasified as parts and there is only a 30 day warranty on them!!! Now, if you get more warranty than 30 days, it is by the dealer.. So... keep your dealer close......and your enemys..................

sled ed

Reaction score
Yes finding out the same thing, new crate engine last year was told one year at the dealer, broke engine in Feb. 2014, took back within 30 days detinating, they said nothing wrong they put new sparkplugs it's good, take it home one last ride for season every time i get 3/4 throtle detinates have to shutdown and restart, take it back they find exaust leak and fix it take it home no snow to even try it. This year just over a hundred miles (under 300 on new engine) engine locks up take back to dealer they phone me with a quote to rebuild engine ONLY 30 DAYS ON A CRATE ENGINE. Trying to find out now from polaris ind. if they will look in to the work orders at the dealership.
I like my pro rmk but last year, A arm 2 weeks order part & install, then engine 2 weeks order & install That's the whole month of Jan. this year not looking good for January.

floogan

Reaction score
Polaris has had engine problems since 05/06 ....this is nothing new....thats a decade ago .... so they will have engine problems for the next decade!!!!!

ecsledder905

Reaction score
I have a 2011 polaris switchback assault, bought it at 5000km on it, motor was rebuilt at 4000, I used it for a whole winter without having any problems, sled was running good and everything, never changed sparplug , littelary no problems, at the ends of my second second with it, the motor start to cut when I was going full throtlle the more I would ride, the more the motor would cut. this season I started it and immediatly figure I had a problem, my polaris would always burn sparkplugs, almost evry single ride and the motor would still cut. now 3 days ago i chnaged my sparkplugs and one of them burned again, i got tired and I decided to take a look. Ive clean the carb, and check the oil pump, and the gaz throttle , the litte gas pump (gas throtle whatever) on connected to the carb was really clugged and wouldnt fully respond so I spray brake cleaner on it, and now it respond pretty good, so I started it again and Ive founded out that it look like I was burning alot of oil, and that it was producing a lot of oil, I decided to take a ride with it and the sled was going A1 no problems except the fact that it was burning to much oil. I asked someone what to do du to my oil problems and he told me to change the side of the rode on the gas pump(throttle ) near the carb, so I switched the rod to the mag side like I was told, I started it again, but the sled was running really **** up , i had to keep the rpm really high or the motor would cut and stall, when I was opening the throttle the motor would cut and then go back to normal like every 5-10 second, I decided to go in the garage and change the side of the rode , but when i started it again, nothing changed... I dont know wtf to do now, anyone know what I should try?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had Polaris for years but when my Dragon **** the bed at 300 miles . I went to the other 3. yammie good but to heavy cat to many problems skidoo etec the way to go good luck.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 polaris switchback assault, bought it at 5000km on it, motor was rebuilt at 4000, I used it for a whole winter without having any problems, sled was running good and everything, never changed sparplug , littelary no problems, at the ends of my second second with it, the motor start to cut when I was going full throtlle the more I would ride, the more the motor would cut. this season I started it and immediatly figure I had a problem, my polaris would always burn sparkplugs, almost evry single ride and the motor would still cut. now 3 days ago i chnaged my sparkplugs and one of them burned again, i got tired and I decided to take a look. Ive clean the carb, and check the oil pump, and the gaz throttle , the litte gas pump (gas throtle whatever) on connected to the carb was really clugged and wouldnt fully respond so I spray brake cleaner on it, and now it respond pretty good, so I started it again and Ive founded out that it look like I was burning alot of oil, and that it was producing a lot of oil, I decided to take a ride with it and the sled was going A1 no problems except the fact that it was burning to much oil. I asked someone what to do du to my oil problems and he told me to change the side of the rode on the gas pump(throttle ) near the carb, so I switched the rod to the mag side like I was told, I started it again, but the sled was running really **** up , i had to keep the rpm really high or the motor would cut and stall, when I was opening the throttle the motor would cut and then go back to normal like every 5-10 second, I decided to go in the garage and change the side of the rode , but when i started it again, nothing changed... I dont know wtf to do now, anyone know what I should try?

Welcome to the sight.

I have tried to understand your post but its all over the place. Get a hold of a Service Manual that will help you.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm bored so will take a crack at this.

What is a burned sparkplug? Parts of it are melted or it's got a bunch of carbon buildup?

When you say the motor would 'cut' do you mean stall right out or just lose rpm? Does this only happen at full throttle?

Your sled doesn't have carbs it has throttle bodies.

I have no idea what you are referring to with this little gas pump connected to throttle. The only gas (fuel) pump you have is in the tank.

Are you referring to the rod that goes from the throttle bodies down to the oil pump on the block? I don't know how you could move it anywhere. Do you mean you flipped the lever arm at the pump 180 degrees? If so that was not a good thing to do.

There is a safety switch at the pivot pin of your throttle block (on the handlebar) that often screws up causing the spark to cut out.

These sleds have fuel filters that should be changed when the mileage gets high like yours.

Top Bottom