60 by 60 shop

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering who has the best price for a 60 by 60 shop. Looking to go all steel but that could change. Looking for some input on either styles post beam like Goodon builds or all steel building with steel rafters

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go pole I would recommend 4 ply 2x8 glued and nailed together. Drill a 6 ‘ hole with 2’ of concrete in the bottom for the pole to sit on. Go with a pole every 4’ and set a truss on every pole. Other option is a footing with a 4’ concrete wall and bury 2’ in the ground and 2’ above grade and stud wall up from there. Another option is do a 12” pile every 8’ and do a 2’ concrete foundation on the piles and stud up from there. The piles and grade beam would probably be your cheapest option. The best foundation would be the 4’ foundation as it keeps the frost out of the building the best, but all of them perform the same. Steel buildings are nice but are poorly insulated compared to wood structure IMO.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering who has the best price for a 60 by 60 shop. Looking to go all steel but that could change. Looking for some input on either styles post beam like Goodon builds or all steel building with steel rafters
Please post some of your estimates or cost comparisons for the shell.

I would like to do a 40x60 Ish.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know my dad just got one built, 50x61 from the co-op home building centre, he’s been impressed with price and quality so far

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go pole I would recommend 4 ply 2x8 glued and nailed together. Drill a 6 ‘ hole with 2’ of concrete in the bottom for the pole to sit on. Go with a pole every 4’ and set a truss on every pole. Other option is a footing with a 4’ concrete wall and bury 2’ in the ground and 2’ above grade and stud wall up from there. Another option is do a 12” pile every 8’ and do a 2’ concrete foundation on the piles and stud up from there. The piles and grade beam would probably be your cheapest option. The best foundation would be the 4’ foundation as it keeps the frost out of the building the best, but all of them perform the same. Steel buildings are nice but are poorly insulated compared to wood structure IMO.
I would have figured post framed to be the cheapest?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Following this thread. Looking for an acreage and want a 40x60 shop. Having a hard time finding the place we want with the right shop. I have no idea how much a shop like this cost to build

new indyguy

Reaction score
I had Goodon build me a pole shed style 80x42 shop with 14' wide full length lean-to's. I had a great construction crew and my Goodon rep was always available for questions. I had made some changes along the wat and they were very accomodating. I originally was going 60x40 and then I decided Im only doing this once - so I went bigger with 20' walls and added the lean-to's. I added the half wall on the one lean-to so I could put my other small stuff (quads, Lawn tractor, seadoos, etc) in from the side.
If your going to order one do it soon - the builders are having logistic and supply issues with certain things like OH door hardware, some doors and other little things.

Attachments

• shop.jpg
    shop.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 120

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Following this thread. Looking for an acreage and want a 40x60 shop. Having a hard time finding the place we want with the right shop. I have no idea how much a shop like this cost to build
Be sure to check with the RM/County you live in before deciding, my RM will only allow up to a 2000sqft shop on an acreage. Pure BS.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be sure to check with the RM/County you live in before deciding, my RM will only allow up to a 2000sqft shop on an acreage. Pure BS.
They probably dont want commercial operations in residential areas?

Guy sets up a 50000sqf trucking company shop right next to your acreage could get annoying.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a very hard build, make sure and check for height requirements. If it is not attached to your house you may not be able to go the height you want without going to the neighbors and get their approvals.

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They probably dont want commercial operations in residential areas?

Guy sets up a 50000sqf trucking company shop right next to your acreage could get annoying.
That must be for subdivision acreage?

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would be all "acreages" in my RM i think. My coworker just built a 40x50 on his 10.15 acres that sits alone on the full quarter (he doesnt own the quarter). We are in the same RM so it will apply to all acreages (not farm). If it is a farm, you can do whatever you want, no restrictions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom