6.7 Cummins starting question

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all, wondering if a guy needs to wait for the grid heater to cycle before starting when it’s warm outside. Not talking about the first start of the day but through the day after the first start. Is there any harm in just starting it ? Thanks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure about 6.7 but my 06 5.9 will throw the check engine light sometimes if u forget to wait for grid heater in the winter.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Mega cab doesn’t even have a Grid heater. It will start in -30. It sounds god awful and really hates life when that happens, but it will. So no, no need to wait, not even for the first start during summer.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and if I wait for the light to go off it will throw a code, because its looking for a certain amount of Current draw when the heater is supposed to be on and its not there. But if I just hop in and fire it up then no code.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure about 6.7 but my 06 5.9 will throw the check engine light sometimes if u forget to wait for grid heater in the winter.

My 06 never did that. Forgot to wait a few times when it was really cold. Knocked pretty hard but no light. But the light could have been burnt out lol. Haven’t had the truck for about 3 years and I still wait for the light on my hemi lol

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The WTS light will come on to test the bulb, but will go out quickly if the grids aren't needed. If the intake manifold temperature is below 66 f, as the ecm sees it, then the grids will cycle.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Mega cab doesn’t even have a Grid heater. It will start in -30. It sounds god awful and really hates life when that happens, but it will. So no, no need to wait, not even for the first start during summer.

??? Oh you did a grid delete?

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uhhhh. Well no, not exactly. It just doesn’t work and I never bothered fixing it. Lol

I pray it doesnt let go and fall into the intake and take out the motor :( Not shitting you, they break apart and it does happen :(

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It could happen, But i think its something to to with the external circuitry, as I remember, it had resistance on it when I checked it.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe the grid heater issue was '13 and up? Just unhook it and no worries

Top Bottom