2015 Ram 6.7 Cummins turbo

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
C6FEFBFC-1FA1-4AF6-B85E-A61302F979F0.jpeg
What’s everyone’s experience with getting the check engine light on due to actuator issues? Codes P00AF, P003A, U010C

So it’s either the actuator failing or the variable vanes causing it to fail. 5 codes came up but then cleared after a few start stops over a few days. I didn’t feel it was lacking power…the exhaust brake worked. Just came on as I was parked unhooking the trailer.

Basically everyone I’ve talked to change the turbo cause you’ll end up there anyway.

$4800-5500 is what I found for a reman turbo installed. I’d do it myself but you need the scan tool for the actuator calibration.

Alamo in Calgary charges $2700 to rebuild yours so not gaining much there.

Curious if anyone else went down this road as it’s very common I guess. I have 113k on the truck.

Last edited:

banditelectric

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caroline, Alberta, Canadia, Earth, Milkyway
What’s everyone’s experience with getting the check engine light on due to actuator issues? Codes P00AF, P003A, U010C

So it’s either the actuator failing or the variable vanes causing it to fail. 5 codes came up but then cleared after a few start stops over a few days. I didn’t feel it was lacking power…the exhaust brake worked. Just came on as I was parked unhooking the trailer.

Basically everyone I’ve talked to change the turbo cause you’ll end up there anyway.

$4800-5500 is what I found for a reman turbo installed. I’d do it myself but you need the scan tool for the actuator calibration.

Alamo in Calgary charges $2700 to rebuild yours so not gaining much there.

Curious if anyone else went down this road as it’s very common I guess. I have 113k on the truck.
Those are the infamous 6.7L Turbo Diesel Death "Turbo" Codes. My old mans truck had the same thing happen and within a month the Turbo was pooched. Best take care of it now before it leaves you stranded.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Have you tried? A guy at my parts store said 4-5 people have tried and it worked for them
Interesting. No I haven’t. I’m just digging into it. Dodge wants $8600 for a turbo. Wtf. Local diesel shop 3500 for reman.

The codes cleared on there own so was going to drive it a bunch before another trip.

banditelectric

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. No I haven’t. I’m just digging into it. Dodge wants $8600 for a turbo. Wtf. Local diesel shop 3500 for reman.

The codes cleared on there own so was going to drive it a bunch before another trip.
Don't buy the Dodge one would just sh!t the bed again. I'd recommend this. Put one in my old mans 2013 and its awesome. Plus half the price lol

1642713426434.png

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it helps, my 14 did the same thing last year. Actuator was boogered. Felt better doing the turbo complete. Local shop brought a rebuilt one from a place in Taber. Ran good until I sold the truck. Was $4600 all in to replace.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
taber diesel is where I got quoted around 4800 installed.

How many km did you have on your 14 when it went ?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep better to do the turbo and it's insanely common on these trucks unfortunately. Getting your own turbo rebuilt isn't a bad option, I wonder if alamo has actuator though? I was looking at them doing mine before, probably 2-3 months they kept saying they were going to get some in any day but never did. You only need to calibrate if replacing actuator, if whole turbo don't need to. I'm not sure i'd try to do yourself, there is no room at all in there it's not a fun job.

There is a good chance your exhaust brake is only working in certain gears, though may not be really noticeable. But when truck is cold you might start to have actuator getting stuck closed which is a pain and if not careful will take out headgasket.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They didn’t say if they have new actuators but that price included one. I felt the exhaust brake on my 07.5 was way better than my 15. Yeah I talked to a few mechanics at work and they said it’s a bit of a job.

I did look at the BD turbos. Would really like a turbo that’s going to last as I won’t be getting ride if this truck for 5 years or so.

I want to say taber diesel said they do 10-20 a month turbo swaps. They also said actuators are back ordered for 10 months already.

banditelectric

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can also go the route of installing a standard Turbo and then putting an exhaust brake later. I had the PAC Brake on one of my Cummins and it was awesome!! Plus put a bigger air tank on it and could the system to pump up tires and blow out airlifters.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
taber diesel is where I got quoted around 4800 installed.

How many km did you have on your 14 when it went ?
Buy an HA2 actuator from APD in Red Deer for $712.50. That's if they have stock. When you change it out just make sure the cone is free. If the cone moves freely you're good to go. Don't listen to everyone saying the turbo is pooched. It most likely is not. 9 times out of 10 it's the actuator. Not saying the turbo couldn't be a problem, but not likely with the miles you have. Only thing is you'll need to obviously have someone with a scan tool capable of performing the calibration do this. I've done sooooo many of these turbo's and actuators I have dreams... ah nightmares about them! Actuator R8481772AA from Chrysler $2250 exchange, B/O'd but dealers are showing stock though. Reman turbo R8321378AA $6010.00 exchange Red Deer PDC has stock. Reman turbo from APD H83000124R $3965.00 exchange.

Last edited:

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PS... those little allen head bolts that hold the actuator onto the turbo can be a real C you next Tuesday. Don't round them out or break them off, lol! I don't even drain the coolant. Just take the inner fender liner out, disconnect the harness, undo the bolts and swap it out. Oh... inspect the connector and harness. I've repaired those multiple times too.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, its APD Automotive Parts Distributors. I don't know if they sell to the public or if they're a wholesaler? (800)891-1338

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy an HA2 actuator from APD in Red Deer for $712.50. That's if they have stock. When you change it out just make sure the cone is free. If the cone moves freely you're good to go. Don't listen to everyone saying the turbo is pooched. It most likely is not. 9 times out of 10 it's the actuator. Not saying the turbo couldn't be a problem, but not likely with the miles you have. Only thing is you'll need to obviously have someone with a scan tool capable of performing the calibration do this. I've done sooooo many of these turbo's and actuators I have dreams... ah nightmares about them! Actuator R8481772AA from Chrysler $2250 exchange, B/O'd but dealers are showing stock though. Reman turbo R8321378AA $6010.00 exchange Red Deer PDC has stock. Reman turbo from APD H83000124R $3965.00 exchange.

95% of the time the turbo is done. Even if it moves freely it's no guarantee, especially if it wasn't fixed immediately after problem started. Many places won't do just the actuator or at the very least highly advise against it because so often after a few months truck is back in for same problem. Even many dealers stopped doing actuator when it's a truck on warranty and dodge ain't spending an extra penny doing a whole turbo if they don't have to.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
95% of the time the turbo is done. Even if it moves freely it's no guarantee, especially if it wasn't fixed immediately after problem started. Many places won't do just the actuator or at the very least highly advise against it because so often after a few months truck is back in for same problem. Even many dealers stopped doing actuator when it's a truck on warranty and dodge ain't spending an extra penny doing a whole turbo if they don't have to.
So you say...

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it time for twins with stacks 🤭. Let us know how it goes, I got a 2012 so I am assuming I’ll be going down this road at some point to.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not as likely with the smaller turbo and HA1 actuator… but it happens.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 07.5 6.7 changed turbo at 320,000km. It did have a wash done once tho under warranty.

I picked it up from the dealer tonight ….drive it over the weekend and see. Maybe it was a glitch. Lol. Hoping

Top Bottom