5th Wheel Trailer Length

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have 33 ft fifth,if you go bigger alot of small campgrounds are out,even provincials will be tight,because every guy with a big fifth will have booked the only 5 spots for big units.unless you plan on living in it for months at a time think about how big you really need.is it just the 2 of you?i think ,i could be wrong;if you start getting into the 38+ you almost need a dually one ton...

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also 10,000 dry for a 38 seems low,dont let a rv salesman tell you tour 3/4 ton will tow it..

Burns

Reaction score
We have two kids - 3 and 2 so we would really like to have the separate bedroom for them - every model we looked at with the layout we liked pushed us into the 35-38' range. Trust me I would like to keep it smaller but as the saying goes - happy wife happy life...

The weight for the open range is 10990 lbs dry with a GVW of 13900 38' 6"
The Sabre is 9500lbs dry and GVW of 12000 - 34' 3"

I am pulling with a 2010 2500hd Duramax.

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fair enough,we made the mistake of not getting big enough or exactly what we wanted the first time we bought,the wife is right lol,go big or go home,good luck.

Burns

Reaction score
Take a look at the open range's if you haven't. Look really well built and I was impressed witht the weghts they we quoting. As well finish on them looks top notch.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you have lots of truck for either unit. i personnaly would go big or go home, i pull a 40' 5th but i also refuse to stay in a campground.

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just curious because the Open range that I was thinking about was only about a $2000 to 2500 difference with the options that I wanted. But I have decided to stay with what I have.

Not sure where you are shopping but a buddy just bought a 427 and we bought a Bighorn 3800 - both were over $20K difference back in our pockets.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you are shopping but a buddy just bought a 427 and we bought a Bighorn 3800 - both were over $20K difference back in our pockets.

It was at the RV Show in Calgary but I only took a quick look on the internet to make sure and that is what I found, also did not look that hard or get an actual quote from a dealer in the US because I decided the trailer was not for us.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RVShow edmonton - 2011

The Edmonton RV Expo & Sale is the "Premiere" showing of Recreation Vehicles and services in Western Canada.

The Edmonton RV Expo & Sale will attract thousands of consumers during the four-day period who are either interested in or dedicated to the "RV Lifestyle". With Alberta's positive economy and our new promotions, we are forecasting a substantial increase in attendance for the 2010 show.

The popular RV Lifestyles Theatre seminar program will be continued this year with topics such as:

RV Towing Vehicle & Hitches · RV Lifestyle Tips · RV Safety · Customs Information · RV Insurance · Travel Destinations.

An expanded presence of tourist destinations will allow consumers to get a better idea of what's available for the RVer in Western Canada.

DATES:

Day Time
Thursday, February 10 3:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Friday, February 11 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM
Saturday, February 12 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM
Sunday, February 13 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Show Admission:

Adult $14.00
Senior $9.00
Child
(7 - 17 years) $7.00
Family
(includes 2 Adults & 2 Children) $30.00
Children 6 years and under are FREE

Edmonton EXPO Centre

Tourism Alberta
An excellent resource for Alberta. Check It Out!

Campgrounds (6)
BOW RIVERSEDGE CAMPGROUND RV Camping in Cochrane Alberta Bow RiversEdge Campground RV Park Bow River
EAGLE LAKE RV RESORT Welcome to Eagle Lake RV Resort
OL' MACDONALDS RESORT Alberta Camping, Campgrounds, RV Parks, Tenting
SPRING LAKE RV RESORT Welcome to Spring Lake R.V. Resort, Spring Lake Alberta CANADA
SUNDRE RIVER RESORT INC. sundreriverresort.com ... Coming Soon
WILDERNESS VILLAGE RESORT CONTACT WILDERNESS VILLAGE @ 403-845-2145

Consumer Education

I TRAIN U R.V. DRIVER EDUCATION LTD.

SAIT POLYTECHNIC
Welcome to SAIT Polytechnic

RVDA Show Dates
Watch this area for upcoming RVDA shows.

42nd Annual Calgary RV Expo & Sale
January 27 - 30, 2011

31st Annual Edmonton RV Expo & Sale
February 10 - 13, 2011

Red Deer RV Show
February 18 - 21, 2011

Central Alberta RV Show & Sale
February 24 - 27, 2011

©Copyright 2009 RVDA of Alberta All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us Privacy Policy
Information Services Help Inc. (WebDesign) ISHelp Hosting

Burns

Reaction score
It was at the RV Show in Calgary but I only took a quick look on the internet to make sure and that is what I found, also did not look that hard or get an actual quote from a dealer in the US because I decided the trailer was not for us.

Yeah - the MSRP's are about the same as the prices here but once you get a quote the run $15-20k less.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
As well - what have your experiences been with buying in the states? How have any warranty/servicing worked, any issues coming accross? With upwards of $15-17k in price difference it is pretty hard to pass up.

I picked up my 5th wheel two years ago from the states.From Preferred auto and rv. I got a 2008 puma 249 rbss.Not that big off a 5th wheel for myself and the girlfriend. It is a bunk model maybe kids down the road.Sleeps 8........I went to the Calgary dealer,talked to the Edmonton and also saskatchewan dealer that dealt with Puma trailers.Non of them wanted to lower there prices.It was 5 000 cheaper in Helena Montana.So i jumped in my truck and went for a drive.All said and done saved over 4 000 with paying for gas,food, inspection, duty/gst.....on a 12hr round trip.

It was the most painless thing i ever did.The dealer did all the paper work for crossing the boarder.They didn't even go out and open the trailer for that matter.Not sure if anything has changed in the last two years.I would buy local but to save 4000 for 12hr round trip was a no brain er for me.And they would honer 1 year manufacture warranty in Canada.Got warranty work done no problems other then stupid people that worked at are local dealer that is no longer in business anyway.I was not able to buy the extended warranty because i was bringing it to Canada.Extended warranty not worth it IMO. on 5th wheel.
DSC00986.jpg

Top Bottom