5th wheel hitch install

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just want to throw out a FYI to inspect how your hitch is installed. A friend had one installed at a "Hitch Shop" here in Edmonton recently and the front rail (Reese style) isn't secured with brackets to the frame, only bolted through the bed floor. Not good.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baaaaaaaa, seriously

No L mounts for the front rail to frame?? , the middle of the rail is just Bolted through rails to box ( that's normal to hold middle down)

But if no brackets mounted, I.d be calling the b.b.b on them

That's so bloody unsafe

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could be a new installer who doesn't know any better. No point jumping the gun and reporting to BBB until you cover all the bases.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's insane. I'd like to know what the companies response was. Umm sorry 'bout that sir?
Did he pull anything with it and if so did it cause and bed damage from the front of the hitch rocking up?

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's insane. I'd like to know what the companies response was. Umm sorry 'bout that sir?
Did he pull anything with it and if so did it cause and bed damage from the front of the hitch rocking up?

yes he did haul and front rail, hitch and trailer ended up in the ditch. Currently under investigation. I didn't start this to point fingers or **** on a company as they do have a good name, but to bring awareness for folks to check. Maybe the installer forgot, fawked up or was new and not properly trained? Until investigation is completed I can't give to many more details. Please do check your mounts though.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes he did haul and front rail, hitch and trailer ended up in the ditch. Currently under investigation. I didn't start this to point fingers or **** on a company as they do have a good name, but to bring awareness for folks to check. Maybe the installer forgot, fawked up or was new and not properly trained? Until investigation is completed I can't give to many more details. Please do check your mounts though.

had a similar situation with my install. I didn't tow with mine because I crawled under the truck when I took delivery and made then correct the problem. Shoddy workmanship if you ask me. Wore out the old hitch and they no longer make that particular hitch so I will be installing a B&W turnover ball and Companion fifth wheel. Going to do it all myself that way I know it will be done right.

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could be a new installer who doesn't know any better. No point jumping the gun and reporting to BBB until you cover all the bases.

Covering all the bases before reporting the company is fair, but a new employee is no excuse. It is the company's responsibility to ensure employees are qualified to the the jobs they are assigned, particularly when it could involve people's lives.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Covering all the bases before reporting the company is fair, but a new employee is no excuse. It is the company's responsibility to ensure employees are qualified to the the jobs they are assigned, particularly when it could involve people's lives.

Didn't say it was an excuse.

Top Bottom