5 ft box with Mountain Sled?

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stupid question coming from a person wanting to get into sledding. Is it even possible to load a mountain sled (151" track) and safely haul it out to the mountains?

Truck in question is a 06 Dakota (v6) quad cab. 7' with tailgate down.

Sled in question is a Summit 151.

How stupid am I? Had hopes of adding a reinforced board to lengthen the box another couple feet.

I've loaded two street bikes and headed to B.C without problems, but I wouldn't go any heavier. At the time I think I was still legal too in terms of weight. Bikes weighed around 500 lbs each.

Lemme know. Trailer isn't an option =(.

Q

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put my 05-900 151 in the back of my Avalanche with no problems.

My brother bought his Rev from a guy this summer that hauled it in a ford ranger. He had built an extended bed with 2x6s on edge and a 3/4" plywood top. Not sure how he bolted it down in the box. Seemed like a good setup and it had room underneath for his ramp. The ranger wasn't very high so the ramp didn't need to be very long either.

Last edited:

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put my 05-900 151 in the back of my Avalanche with no problems.

My brother bought his Rev from a guy this summer that hauled it in a ford ranger. He had built an extended bed with 2x6s on edge and a 3/4" plywood top. Not sure how he bolted it down in the box. Seemed like a good setup and it had room underneath for his ramp. The ranger wasn't very high so the ramp didn't need to be very long either.

Hey thanks Mac.

I'm hoping to hear more stories of this. It's not the problem of getting the sled in the truck. That's easy. Like you said, low boxes make for easy loading, unlike the jacked diesels.

It's the length that bothers me. Avalanches and Rangers both have longer boxes then this. I think the short box Ranger has a 5.5' box. My box is 7' long with the tailgate down, 5' with it shut. That means at least 3' will be overhanging the rear tailgate!

Now this doesn't prevent me from loading it. I can easily add a reinforced board to cover at least 2 additional feet and strap the sled in securely. My worry is not that the sled will fall out.

My worry is that the boys in blue might question it's stability (not knowing almost all sled weight in up front). I'll have to check, but I don't think a 550-600 lb sled (with most weight over the rear axles) will overcome the vehicles capacity rating.

I know this set-up will get me some strange looks. The sled will look as if it's barely in the truck. After the 5' box area, there will be half of the sled still sticking out the rear!

What do others think? I want to be positive this is possible before buying a sled. I already have the sled picked out. Would simply flagging the rear tunnel make it legal if the sled proves to be firmly fastened?

I do not own a full sized truck. This is my only vehicle which happens to be a company truck that I'm allowed to use for personal use. If I had my choice I'd own a full sized truck for all my truck required hobbies! Apparently renting a trailer isn't an option as U-haul will only allow a 8x4" enclosed and no flat-bed options with my 2000lb towing capacity.

Thanks guys!

Q

Truck in question:

Dec%209th%202007%20032.jpg

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to this Guy Sofa King much pow he builds a nice set up that might work in ur truck

Attachments

• 12de6211.jpg
    12de6211.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 747

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha thats not a long track. There was a guy in revy on the 22 or so in november that had a 166 Poo in the back of a ford 150 super crew. And my buddy has put his 163 xp in the back of his super crew f150

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you guys think with proper fastening that a sled equiped with a 151 track will safetly fit in my 5' box without any hassles from the cops?

And here I thought all sledders had HD diesels with decks... :D

I know I'll feel the weight driving, but that's not a huge concern. Just go a little slower. I'll get there eventually!

I think the F150 Super Crew has a 6' box. It's also deep so the tailgate is longer and probalby close to 8' laid down.

Over the summer I could probably design something similar to the loading hardware pictured with the 'John Deere'. Could make for easily loading with a electronic winch or even a manual one.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stupid question coming from a person wanting to get into sledding. Is it even possible to load a mountain sled (151" track) and safely haul it out to the mountains?

Truck in question is a 06 Dakota (v6) quad cab. 7' with tailgate down.

Sled in question is a Summit 151.

How stupid am I? Had hopes of adding a reinforced board to lengthen the box another couple feet.

I've loaded two street bikes and headed to B.C without problems, but I wouldn't go any heavier. At the time I think I was still legal too in terms of weight. Bikes weighed around 500 lbs each.

Lemme know. Trailer isn't an option =(.

Q

i put my REV 159 track in the back of a supercrew Ford F-150 i think the box is 5 and a half feet (smallest full size bed on the market) works fine hangs over the tail gate and I can still hook my trailer up for maximum sledding capacity
some people put the tail gate up not too sure if that is needed
and your sled only weighs about 500 lbs as well so no worries on the weight issue
you are all good to go man

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen guys build a deck just over the wheel wells of the smaller trucks that extends onto the tailgate and then have a ramp that pulls out from underneath the deck, similar to a Marathon deck but all made out of lumber and plywood. Looked like it worked just fine.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks guys for the help!

You've given me inspiration to attemp it. I'm pretty sure I can make it work quite easily, but I might still design a sled deck like described above. It's nice because it can be stored with minimal space come summertime and doesn't require the hassles of registration and insurance!

Now that I had a sled lined up from the states I found a few good ones locally! I'd like to keep my money in Canada if at all possible.

Thanks guys!

Quinn

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who on here remebers the days of hauling sleds in the back of a half ton sideways with the track sitting up on the box..fit three sleds in a half ton ...the old Scorpion whip!!!

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hauled my first sled (69 olympic) home on the trunk lid of a 67 chevelle. stony plain RCMP just laughed their heads of at us.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who on here remebers the days of hauling sleds in the back of a half ton sideways with the track sitting up on the box..fit three sleds in a half ton ...the old Scorpion whip!!!

I don't think sleds were 11' long in those days :D

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are'nt inforcing it yet but if you look in your manual it tells you how much you can haul,you have to go by your sticker on the door or manual...when your in BC..Here in alberta you go by what your tires add up to then subtract the weight of the vehicle...My old dodge heavy 1/2 ton was able to haul the driver and my 800 rmk vert. thats it....check your door sticker....because if they want to be bad they could catch alot of sledder's over weight..but thats the d.o.t.'s job......:twocents:

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good bit of information there. I'd have though I could easily carry 600lbs though. Maybe I should check into both my tires and vehicle rating.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good bit of information there. I'd have though I could easily carry 600lbs though. Maybe I should check into both my tires and vehicle rating.

:)For BC your tire's wont matter,just your tgvw,your door sticker.

Top Bottom