4x4 problem?

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, before I go to the dealer I need some help so I don't get screwed. I have a 2009 Duramax Crew with a 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires. When I am not in 4x4, the ride is as smooth and as nice as can be.
I used 4x4 the other day and I can feel a vibration which I think is coming from the drivers side front. But this only happens in 4x4. I take it out of 4x4 and it rides smooth again. I tried 4x4 again today and the vibration is still there, but only when in 4x4.:mad: And the truck seems to be working like it should. If I take the traction control off, the rear end will really come around when you get into it so I know it is coming out of 4x4. Put it in 4x4 and it works like it should, it just has the vibration. No codes have come up on my dash but I don't know if they would if it was a problem with the 4x4.

I am hoping it is just tires but I wanted to get some feedback from any others that may have ran into this situation.

Thanks

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What it may be is a bad U-joint on your front drive shaft, the one closest to transfer case is notorious for failing. What it also my be if you say it "feels like the front left", it may be the front axle shaft on the drivers side. Worst case is that you may have an issue internally in the transfer case.

rotaxtothemax

Reaction score
your front drive shaft is probably to steep . ujoints are binding .gm dont like big lift kits. lift kits are junk truck never drives the same been down that road .

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can prove that the U-joints are good, then I would reccomend getting a custom front drive shaft made with a double cardon joint. Basically it's a double joint, so that they share the angle. I had one on my truck when it was lifted, and I traded it for a stocker when I removed the lift. Some trucks just dont like the stock front DS with a lift.

030-2.jpg

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is the u-joint I am not that concerned about having to replace them. I have 37,000 km and this would be the first hint of any problems.
I am thinking of staying away from the dealer as I am sure u-joints are not covered under warranty, and if even if they are, I am sure the dealer will blame it all on the lift and not warrenty it anyway.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good call. warranty is only for defects...... if a U joint blew up a week after you got it they should warranty it, but not now. They're cheap and not worth getting your dealer involved over.

If you grab the front DS near either U joint and shake it can you feel any play?

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I think it is the u-joint. I had one of the mechanics at work look at it and he said that there is play in there. He recommend I change them both while I have the shaft out, which I think is a good idea.

Hopefully this is the fix.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my ford i had to replace the front shaft at 70k. wareenty though but scared if it goes again 800 bucks they billed warrenty for it. wasnt u joints at the ends more like a cv kinda looking thing. hope they werent lyin when they said it isnt a popular issue.:eek:

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey anvil do you find your front end kinda noisy when ur driving in 4wd? like highway speed i mean? i have an 09 dmax and you can tell instantly when in 4wd bc of the noise out of the front end.. my 04 6L never did that..

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey anvil do you find your front end kinda noisy when ur driving in 4wd? like highway speed i mean? i have an 09 dmax and you can tell instantly when in 4wd bc of the noise out of the front end.. my 04 6L never did that..

That's normal,ever since the new bodystyle,there noisy.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can prove that the U-joints are good, then I would reccomend getting a custom front drive shaft made with a double cardon joint. Basically it's a double joint, so that they share the angle. I had one on my truck when it was lifted, and I traded it for a stocker when I removed the lift. Some trucks just dont like the stock front DS with a lift.

030-2.jpg

Every Chev I've seen with a 6" lift requires this,had 1 I worked on all day,including changing the front diff.all with no change,ordered up a custom d-shaft and problem was solved.

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't seem to think there is a lot of excess noise in 4X4 but it does seem to be a little loud. I don't think it is any louder than my 2003. I could be wrong.

BUT, the guys at our shop, when I mentioned my problem, a couple of the guys said my problem was probably just a noisy 4X4 as all of our fleet of GM's seem to be loud in 4X4. We run about 25 GM trucks, and our yard guy who drives most of them due to running around, oil changes etc. has said that some seem to be really really loud. So I guess the GM's seem to be louder than our Fords or Dodges. At least that is what some of our guys figure. Although we don't run many Fords or Dodges.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys :) makes me feel a little better about it haha

i put a 4" rancho lift in mine.. think i should look into these custom d-shafts? or should be ok..

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you would like a second opinion on the issue. Pm me i can look at your truck i have been a tech for 17 years

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks DR!
I am getting the u-joints put in tomorrow (hopefully) or later this week. I will let you know if I need a second opinion. :beer::beer::beer:

mxracer328

Reaction score
i have a 2007 6.0L new body style with a 6" left in it and i find the 4wd very loud, but the noise is in and out never heard one this loud before

Top Bottom