3" track on freeride

dbar7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Im thinking of doing a summer project, I was wondering what it all takes to put a 3" track on a freeride 154? If the gains would be worth it over a 2.5"?

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3" tracks rip lugs a lot easier. But putting 7 tooth drivers in would give you the clearance you need.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would you want one?? 3'' is for the deep so you need foot print, go longer or stick with the 2.5" or 2.3" Oh but i guess you can turn the 3" faster with a 154" to make up for the longer track.
Lugs will stay on better? :nono:

:popcorn::popcorn:

Did anyone ever get there 154 3" tracks or was that just a myth

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

dbar7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just asking the questions to see what more knowledgeable people think on it... Im extending my 146 2.5 to a 154 so instead of just going out and buying a new track figured id ask the question. So a 163 I have no use for its already a big step up going to a 154, gonna try something new this year

dbar7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So back to my original question to put a 3" on if they do exist ( which I was told, correct me if im wrong ) to get the extra half an inch of clearance alls I would have to do is go to a 7 tooth driver? and the people running a 163 3 " how are they liking them over the 2.5?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Continue on the more knowledgeable quest but you will need 7 tooth drivers and different rails. Also you could run into heating problems with such a small cooler. I have the 163 streched to the 174 and cooling can be problem on the trail with the 3.
This is on longer trails to the mountains but i see you sled in Revy so shouldn't be a problem.
The 2.5 wasn't any trouble at all. With the 7 tooth drivers it will reduce drive ratio by 8% so will help gearing.

Just asking the questions to see what more knowledgeable people think on it... Im extending my 146 2.5 to a 154 so instead of just going out and buying a new track figured id ask the question. So a 163 I have no use for its already a big step up going to a 154, gonna try something new this year

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Continue on the more knowledgeable quest but you will need 7 tooth drivers and different rails. Also you could run into heating problems with such a small cooler. I have the 163 streched to the 174 and cooling can be problem on the trail with the 3.
This is on longer trails to the mountains but i see you sled in Revy so shouldn't be a problem.
The 2.5 wasn't any trouble at all. With the 7 tooth drivers it will reduce drive ratio by 8% so will help gearing.

yes, is a 2500$ modification by the time its said and done if you do the work yourself. you WILL have overheating issues. trust me on that one. all of our 3 inch tracks with 7 tooth drivers were spitting lugs out every ride. wont be doing it again except maybe trying a drop and roll see if that helps with the durability.

also the stock skid can not handle the extra traction. your sled will be useless it will want to wheelie so bad. wheeleing is fun but with a short 3" track its like ok enough already...

were all going back to 2.5" until there is a more relialble solution for the 3".

the 3" does not climb any higher as it is much heavier and spins slower. but it really shines in the deep stuff doing slow maneuvers. tractors really well and pops up on the snow and makes good ground speed much faster.

deffiently a fun modification but i dont think its worth the hassle for me ripping it out everyyear..i think with the right skid it will be more manageable but our 163's were just wheely machines. any windlip or convex in the hill during a climb and your straight up and down heading back to the bottom while the 2.5" just chug right through it with minimal ski lift. absolute blast in the trees because being able to manipulate your front end like that is critical but climbing...not so much.

just my 2 cents.

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is everyone running the 3 inch having problems with it delaminating? Ordered a 163x3 today for my xp and hoping I don't have to change it out every year... Maybe that won't be the case since I don't make near the miles in a season maxwell does.

Any extra info on this would be appreciated.

And to add to the thread i dont think the 154x3 is in production yet. Also everything I'm reading on here and DOOTALK seems to lead me too believe that if your going to move up 2 track lengths you will have issues with heating.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is everyone running the 3 inch having problems with it delaminating? Ordered a 163x3 today for my xp and hoping I don't have to change it out every year... Maybe that won't be the case since I don't make near the miles in a season maxwell does.

Any extra info on this would be appreciated.

And to add to the thread i dont think the 154x3 is in production yet. Also everything I'm reading on here and DOOTALK seems to lead me too believe that if your going to move up 2 track lengths you will have issues with heating.

thats a big ten 4 on the heating issues. majority of the cooling is done in the last 6" of the cooler during trail riding. having a aluminum plate there does not help.

the 2 etecs that i put 3" tracks on this year both lost lugs. total delaminations from the main track. clean break. and its funny you mention how many miles i put on.

both sleds only put 1000km on and my cousin put 1100 on his. the remainder was on my ptek. so 1000km and 3 missing lugs not all that impressed. not to mention i knew the lugs were under alot of stress so i always babied it during trail riding and in hard snow conditions.

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's not good. But your still saying it was fun in the deep trees? I will have to see if the 1000$ track is worth the extra fun you can have for 1000 kms haha.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i heard of guys doing track repairs on missing lugs. Not so much "glueing" them back on but covering up the belts so that they do rip or delaminate. More or less a patch over the delamination to keep running the track.

Top Bottom