2018 Cat Engine

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did they say much in compairson in throttle response, low and mid range power and clutching compaired to the current suzuki ? And what about weight and handeling ? Was it somone who rides cats alot or atleast has some time on a 15 and new cat ?

Didnt say much else unfortunately. Guy rides a turbo axys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really dissapointed. I was hoping for some big new's from cat this spring. Hopefully I'm wrong and they got something else brewing. It actually feels like they know there due for something new but don't have it so they threw this out there. I've always liked the cat colours. Not a big fan of there release colour.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed, top end hp was always ok...a few more is never a bad thing. What was needed was a better low and mid range response...they claim huge differences.

I like how they say will use much less oil (below 7000 rpm) .....

Doo is only economical below 7000 also.....WOT and they go through oil and gas like the rest.
Bottom and mid power is needed for the tight bush work.
Sounds like the game has been upped at Cat.

Air frame boards is all a cat needs for mods IMO

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looking at pictures the engine looks alot like the 800 suzuki. Laydown design with intake, exhaust and power valves in simular locations. This could be really good the 800 laydown engine was tough. All the suzuki really needed was more bottem and mid range and cleaner throttle response. The new dsi on a revamped laydaow that is just as reliable would be a hit for sure!!! Can't wait to test one of these out

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looking at pictures the engine looks alot like the 800 suzuki. Laydown design with intake, exhaust and power valves in simular locations. This could be really good the 800 laydown engine was tough. All the suzuki really needed was more bottem and mid range and cleaner throttle response. The new dsi on a revamped laydaow that is just as reliable would be a hit for sure!!! Can't wait to test one of these out

On page 14 of this thread Allseasons posted a good read from the Arctic insider. It talks about the engine changes.
As much as we all wanted a larger displacement I do like what A/C has done. They have taken the more difficult route with this engine , efficiency and engine refinements are far more difficult than simply boring out the old 800 to an 860. In the past all of the manufactures followed that thinking and that's how we ended up where we are today. I started mountain riding in 78 where the 440 was big daddy, roll ahead 40 years and the 440 is to small for a starter sled. The sled manufactures are following the vehicle ones just 10 or so years behind.
I love the power like everyone else but when is enough, I rode Valemont last weekend and during our ride I watch a 10 year old riding a 165, 850. I can't say for sure he was ten but this guy was small for a ten year old. I didn't watch long as that is a recipe for disaster, yes we had good powder and this parent or someone was hanging around the area. Back on track now the 160 horsepower these sleds have is more than sufficient we can go places we couldn't before and get into more dangerous places that were not reachable. There is to many Darwin awards going out and no restrictions in place. Anyone can go buy a sled haul it to the mountains and go ride. No experience, no rules, no common sense required. The last thing I want is regulation or government intervention, that will be the beginning of the end. I understand why manufactures are cautious to add the power and really its a good thing, the new 800 dsi will be a hit as we all move to more tree riding and technical terrain to avoid the dangerous areas. This engine will be on par with the 850 for power 166 hp and 107 lbs ft torque or so. So did we really need the 860?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't completely agree with the above post. I believe if A/C could of put out an 860 they would of. Displacement is a safe way to add power and it makes sales.
The reason i believe the 800 remain's is because Cat could not meet EPA standards. This has been a plague and thorn in the side for Cat for several years now.
The 800 for 2018 is basically refined to meet those standards now and i believe it was a lot about money investment, we know A/C has been bought out.
I also know they had been working on the bigger displacement motor for couple years and it didn't pan out for them, EPA standards had to be met and this was the rational rout to take for now.

As for kids running around on 800-850 mountain sleds, that IMO is irresponsible parenting. People with too much money. All fun and games till something happen's. Then though makes me wonder what kind of parenting these parents got LOL. Those are the same ones that think their poop don't stick.
Stirring up the pot, see who will reply to this. Bet they can't resist LOL, cause thats the type they are.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To get anything over 800cc to pass emissions is pretty good achievement, as the bore size increases it's much harder to get a complete burn. A lot of un-burnt fuel exits the engine making for horrible emissions (according to the tree huggers). Smaller bores scavenge better and to make clean large displacement more cylinders with smaller bores would be the answer.

Staying at 800cc means they can race this new engine in the normal classes, no class for larger displacement other than a 1000 class.

rodney1960

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 3 years Arctic Cat won't be making sleds any more. That will leave Yamaha without a Chassis and you'll only have 2 choices.

BRP or Polaris. Don't worry though, you won't have anywhere decent to ride one anyway, when they close all the mountains down to motorized traffic.

Plus our snowpack gets less and less as the years go by. Sledding is a dieing sport:(

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 3 years Arctic Cat won't be making sleds any more. That will leave Yamaha without a Chassis and you'll only have 2 choices.

BRP or Polaris. Don't worry though, you won't have anywhere decent to ride one anyway, when they close all the mountains down to motorized traffic.

Plus our snowpack gets less and less as the years go by. Sledding is a dieing sport:(

you must be paid by the NDP or Liberal gov't

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did read the Arctic insider artical its not bad gives tue basics not much technical but still good. I bet they took the suzuki laydown design and just updated it. I would lien to know if they used the same bore and stroke, main and rod breing size more technical stuff . Anyone that says we dont need or that more hp isnt necessary doesnt ride hard or is old. I allways have a stock and a boosted sled and the stock is fun but does jot compair to the fun of boost!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To get anything over 800cc to pass emissions is pretty good achievement, as the bore size increases it's much harder to get a complete burn. A lot of un-burnt fuel exits the engine making for horrible emissions (according to the tree huggers). Smaller bores scavenge better and to make clean large displacement more cylinders with smaller bores would be the answer.

Staying at 800cc means they can race this new engine in the normal classes, no class for larger displacement other than a 1000 class.

Funny i was told the same from the Cat dealer the other day when i was in there, this allows Cat to continue to compete in the 800 class, while a displacement change would disqualify them from competing. Wonder what BRP will do, pay someone under the table or rewrite the rule book?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny i was told the same from the Cat dealer the other day when i was in there, this allows Cat to continue to compete in the 800 class, while a displacement change would disqualify them from competing. Wonder what BRP will do, pay someone under the table or rewrite the rule book?

They have never had good racing credentials anyway, polaris and cat have always dominated the big circuits, doo had nothing to lose with an 850

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't completely agree with the above post. I believe if A/C could of put out an 860 they would of. Displacement is a safe way to add power and it makes sales.
The reason i believe the 800 remain's is because Cat could not meet EPA standards. This has been a plague and thorn in the side for Cat for several years now.
The 800 for 2018 is basically refined to meet those standards now and i believe it was a lot about money investment, we know A/C has been bought out.
I also know they had been working on the bigger displacement motor for couple years and it didn't pan out for them, EPA standards had to be met and this was the rational rout to take for now.

As for kids running around on 800-850 mountain sleds, that IMO is irresponsible parenting. People with too much money. All fun and games till something happen's. Then though makes me wonder what kind of parenting these parents got LOL. Those are the same ones that think their poop don't stick.
Stirring up the pot, see who will reply to this. Bet they can't resist LOL, cause thats the type they are.

Never really thought about the epa , you make some valid points that make sense. My point this morning was if the 800 is as powerful as the Doo 850 why would we need more? That being said if a 860 came out i would buy it. Maybe with the sale some needed R&D will get this BB out to the masses.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did read the Arctic insider artical its not bad gives tue basics not much technical but still good. I bet they took the suzuki laydown design and just updated it. I would lien to know if they used the same bore and stroke, main and rod breing size more technical stuff . Anyone that says we dont need or that more hp isnt necessary doesnt ride hard or is old. I allways have a stock and a boosted sled and the stock is fun but does jot compair to the fun of boost!
The bore and stroke is the same as the previous 800. I am sure am older than you and don't ride near as hard but if I can go anywhere I want when I want why do I need more. I have friends riding 600 with all the 800 and they are having fun and seem to show up everywhere we do. Not everyone needs a turbo to have fun or ride in the mountains. I love power as much as anyone and respect it that is something I can't say for some. If this 800 is as powerful as the 850 why do you need the 850

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have never had good racing credentials anyway, polaris and cat have always dominated the big circuits, doo had nothing to lose with an 850

They have the power, the anchor is their POS clutching system. IMO the worst clutch in the industry, complex and just plainly poor. The clutch is the heart of the sled, it can make or break a sled and Doo has that problem, has had it for many many years and they don't seem to get the picture.
Out of all sleds i have ever owned, Doo was the only make that i pulled my hair out about the clutch. Heat, slipping, burning belts, not shifting..on and on it goes the issues with Doo clutches. For a so called edge of tech, they are so dumb with clutching LOL.

Top Bottom