2018 165 freeride or 2018 175?

etecturbo

Reaction score
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the 2018 165 freeride! Is it worth the extra money or is a guy better off to go with the big 175 X, having hard time deciding :sled1:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thoughts are a 175 is too long. 15ft long snowmobile doesn't sound like any fun to me, but I guess there is a market for them.

Id say get the 165. JMO

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the 2018 165 freeride! Is it worth the extra money or is a guy better off to go with the big 175 X, having hard time deciding :sled1:

The 175 is a wicked sled. Maybe if your not strong, turning it might be hard. If the size sticker was not there most would have a hard time telling it apart from the 165 as far as turning. The only place you will notice it is if you are on boiler plate snow and trying to turn a circle. However you are comparing to different sleds. If you want aftermarket suspension, because you - need to supercross your way up the trail - are heavy- or jump like Rob Alford then you need the piggybacks and want a freeride as it will be the cheapest option over buying a sled and doing aftermarket suspension. It only comes in 165 as the longest so your choice is made up there. It is about 15 pounds heavier than the Summit 165 and the 175 will be about 5-7 lighter since the longer track sled weights about 7 pounds more than a 165 summit. The reason to get the 175 is because - you ride lots of deep snow, want the best traction, want the smoothest suspension and sidehilling and the easiest sled to ride that can still turn on a dime...I am 5'6 140 and my little muscles have no problem cranking it around all day everyday. The 175 will bee my go to sled next season and I will have a freeride in the 165 for comparison and a few other things :) Since most guys are about ego on this site I will end with this, "if your not strong enough or out of shape you might want to look at a 154 2.5 as it is lighter so easier to do what you want...:)

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two totally different sleds, sounds like you may not be confident in your riding style? IMO the 165 freeride is the better all around machine. 165 is a great length for deep snow and still playful. My big issue with the summit had been the sub-par shocks so having a factory option for decent shocks is appealing. The 174 was a good sled in the T3 but the 165 works well enough I don't think the 175 will be as popular unless you're a big time storm chaser or building a sled for chute climbing

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 175 is a wicked sled. Maybe if your not strong, turning it might be hard. If the size sticker was not there most would have a hard time telling it apart from the 165 as far as turning. The only place you will notice it is if you are on boiler plate snow and trying to turn a circle. However you are comparing to different sleds. If you want aftermarket suspension, because you - need to supercross your way up the trail - are heavy- or jump like Rob Alford then you need the piggybacks and want a freeride as it will be the cheapest option over buying a sled and doing aftermarket suspension. It only comes in 165 as the longest so your choice is made up there. It is about 15 pounds heavier than the Summit 165 and the 175 will be about 5-7 lighter since the longer track sled weights about 7 pounds more than a 165 summit. The reason to get the 175 is because - you ride lots of deep snow, want the best traction, want the smoothest suspension and sidehilling and the easiest sled to ride that can still turn on a dime...I am 5'6 140 and my little muscles have no problem cranking it around all day everyday. The 175 will bee my go to sled next season and I will have a freeride in the 165 for comparison and a few other things :) Since most guys are about ego on this site I will end with this, "if your not strong enough or out of shape you might want to look at a 154 2.5 as it is lighter so easier to do what you want...:)

lol...

gsteve

Reaction score
Two totally different sleds, sounds like you may not be confident in your riding style? IMO the 165 freeride is the better all around machine. 165 is a great length for deep snow and still playful. My big issue with the summit had been the sub-par shocks so having a factory option for decent shocks is appealing. The 174 was a good sled in the T3 but the 165 works well enough I don't think the 175 will be as popular unless you're a big time storm chaser or building a sled for chute climbing

totally different??? hardly , one has better shocks the other a longer track other than that there are EXACTLY THE SAME

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
totally different??? hardly , one has better shocks the other a longer track other than that there are EXACTLY THE SAME

Gonna hit 50' drops and send 100'+ booters on a stock 175?

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so I'm 6'7 220 which sled do you think would better fit me? Is 220 considered "heavy" enough to warrant a freeride? Or do I need to eat more cheeseburgers...

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Two different riding styles. Physically pretty similar but FR is beefed up a bunch.

It is not in the 154/165 it is the exact same except for rail braces and shocks, both of which can be added to a summit! even a beefed up freeride will incur similar damage as a summit if you land wrong, either sled will handle your 100 footers and 50 foot drops if you land properly.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
175 make for a piss poor jump sled, not because of the chassis, its because the rails and track are long as fawk.
Do some drops in the pow with one sure, but not the sled you'd buy if you are into sending it. Unless you like tacoed rails daily.

Like I said there is a market for the 175, "Freeriders" aren't the target market though. IMHO

Doo2015

Reaction score
Most people with a freeride aren't jumping and dropping. They just like the color scheme and "cool shocks". Most people's riding style suits a summit.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most people with a freeride aren't jumping and dropping. They just like the color scheme and "cool shocks". Most people's riding style suits a summit.

True, I would agree with that statement.

Reactions: LID

kidinloghouse

Reaction score
yup, i told the doo rep they bunged up the freeride good. i was really hoping for a 38-40 wide 154 3" track with the running boards and bracing off the 146 and 137.

like previously stated the freeride is now a summit with a shock package. lots dealers sitting on 3" sp 850's and the rebates will be much better next season, good enough to buy a set of shocks, alt impact front end and still be a grand or two cheaper than a 18 freeride with shot.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why screw around get both but doo the blue and lime.

Top Bottom